06 600RR Left headlight not working. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 600RR Left headlight not working.

Recently bought my bike and tried to change out the left bulb because the seller said it was burnt out. I tried 2 different bulbs on the left side to no avail. I even tried plugging my working right side bulb into the left side but it didn't work either any suggestions?
I couldn't find any other posts saying they have the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamConroy View Post
Recently bought my bike and tried to change out the left bulb because the seller said it was burnt out. I tried 2 different bulbs on the left side to no avail. I even tried plugging my working right side bulb into the left side but it didn't work either any suggestions?
I couldn't find any other posts saying they have the same issue.
Is the left light the high beam? Only of of your lights should be on normally, and both on when the high beam is on.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doophys View Post
Is the left light the high beam? Only of of your lights should be on normally, and both on when the high beam is on.

The right side is my high beam. the left side should always be on but it doesn't do anything even when I turn high beams on and off.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
The right side is my high beam. the left side should always be on but it doesn't do anything even when I turn high beams on and off.
I just know that confuses a lot of people, and my bike is half ripped apart in my garage right now lol. Have you checked fuses and wiring to make sure everything is in good condition?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doophys View Post
I just know that confuses a lot of people, and my bike is half ripped apart in my garage right now lol. Have you checked fuses and wiring to make sure everything is in good condition?

I took a look at the headlight fuse and it looked fine. I've only done a quick look at the wiring haven't yet taken everything off to check all connections. sorry to hear about your bike :P
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamConroy For This Useful Post:
Doophys (04-06-2018)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 02:45 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the fuse is fine then it is more than likely an issue with the start switch. Known issue with the 03-06's. Try this, start the bike and while it is running press the start button again slightly (not enough to engage the starter) and see if the lights come on. If not, pull the housing apart and check the soldered wires inside to see if they broke free.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:04 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,027 Times in 839 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
If the fuse is fine then it is more than likely an issue with the start switch. Known issue with the 03-06's. Try this, start the bike and while it is running press the start button again slightly (not enough to engage the starter) and see if the lights come on. If not, pull the housing apart and check the soldered wires inside to see if they broke free.
The start button will extinguish both lights. If the high beam works it's not the button
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tylerboyd (04-07-2018)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
The start button will extinguish both lights. If the high beam works it's not the button

The start button will extinguish both lights when fully engaged (enough contact to activate the starter relay). A partial engagement will usually cause enough contact inside the switch to get the light going.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:50 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,027 Times in 839 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
he said his high beam works, and his low beam doesn''t.

it's not possible for a switch that controls both simultaneously to interrupt only one of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tylerboyd (04-08-2018)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:06 AM
Knee Dragger

I misread the OP's initial post. I'm usually thumbing through these threads late at night while sitting on the can...my mistake. You also dont usually see it where the high beam side is the only one working and not just be a bad bulb as its power is being fed off the low side at the switch.

OP, if you have power to the high beam side (right) then check for 12 volts on the low side (left) where the wires come into the headlight socket. Power there means a poor connection in the socket or it's defective. If there is no power to the back side then trace the black/white wire back to the sub harness connector and recheck for voltage on both sides of the connector (sub harness side is black/white, main harness side is blue/white). I haven't had my plastics off in a while but it will be under one of the dash pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smalls599 For This Useful Post:
tylerboyd (04-08-2018)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
I misread the OP's initial post. I'm usually thumbing through these threads late at night while sitting on the can...my mistake. You also dont usually see it where the high beam side is the only one working and not just be a bad bulb as its power is being fed off the low side at the switch.

OP, if you have power to the high beam side (right) then check for 12 volts on the low side (left) where the wires come into the headlight socket. Power there means a poor connection in the socket or it's defective. If there is no power to the back side then trace the black/white wire back to the sub harness connector and recheck for voltage on both sides of the connector (sub harness side is black/white, main harness side is blue/white). I haven't had my plastics off in a while but it will be under one of the dash pieces.
my multimeter is dead but i believe that it isn't getting enough power.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Get an LED test light, they work great for stuff like this, and will even show polarity.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Why guess...? Harbor freight practically gives away their multimeters and they are more than sufficient for troubleshooting this. As stated above, the high beam is fed off the low beam side so if there is enough voltage to power that light then you either have a bad headlight socket or the wire running from the socket to the harness is bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page