Is this a front wheel lockup? but why would engine stall? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a front wheel lockup? but why would engine stall?

08 cbr600rr, no abs

2 days ago, I was riding on the freeway, and it went from 60 to 0 in about 2 -4 secs, the bike just seized on me, loss of power, throttle cut off, and I saw white smoke. I halted to a complete stop then the engine shut off. it wouldn't even coast to a stop. you can't clutch in or push it on neutral so I was literally stuck in the middle of the freeway. the car behind me would've hit me at 70mph. when chp got here, the engine would start, and I can feel the bike engaging, but it wouldn't go. is it possible for the transmission to be locked? but I feel 13k miles are too low for the tranny to get messed up

2 hours before that, I had a similar problem. the clutch would grab, then it wouldn't go, I was basically doing mini burnouts without holding the brake and it wouldn't push on neutral. after an hour, it unlocked itself? and rode it for a good 20 mins before it stalled in the middle of the freeway and had it towed.

today, I test rode it down the block up to 30mph, starts up just fine, went through 1st, N, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear, and started on 2nd gear with no stalling.

this is what I think: the tranny is fine and the front wheel was locked? the white smoke was from skidding on the tires? but I don't get why would the engine would shut off? is it even possible for front brakes to lock up without applying the brakes? my friends helped flushed the front brakes this past weekend and installed new levers, and I just opened the reservoir and the grommet was kinda upside down, so there may be no room for expansion causing the pistons to seize up? I vaguely remember while trying to move it on 101, I could not apply pressure to the front brakes, like the levers were just stiff and stuck in the 'unactivated' position. what do you guys think?

one more note, we flushed the front brakes because we thought there was a lot of air in the system, since the old lever would go all the way down before braking, but when flushing, there was only 1 or 2 air bubbles, after changing to a new brake lever, the brakes were stiff and felt normal, so I thought it was because of cheap ebay levers the previous owners had left on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30742942_1993817830660153_149933339753578496_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	198970   Click image for larger version

Name:	30743818_1993815973993672_1859022305686978560_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	198978  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:08 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Your front wheel locked up at 60mph and you didn't notice or feel the nose dive? You didn't loop it? You didn't feel your front end washing out? Instead you casually (well quickly) coasted to a stop. Were there any skid marks on the pavement (let alone your shorts).

Doesn't sound like a wheel locked up to me. I wouldn't ride that bike for second until you figure out wtf happened, and fix it of course.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I think I know what went wrong, it's the levers. but what I don't understand is if the front wheel locks up, why would the engine shut off? anybody has a clue?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsang View Post
I think I know what went wrong, it's the levers. but what I don't understand is if the front wheel locks up, why would the engine shut off? anybody has a clue?
Quote:
I halted to a complete stop then the engine shut off.
Locking the front wheel does not cause the engine to shut off. Leaving it in gear at a complete stop does.

Last edited by Axel Nut; 04-20-2018 at 01:27 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Locking the front wheel does not cause the engine to shut off. Leaving it in gear at a complete stop does.
right but as I was gassing it, I felt no response? even if you blip it on neutral or when you're rev matching, you will hear a roar or feel a blip.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
right but as I was gassing it, I felt no response? even if you blip it on neutral or when you're rev matching, you will hear a roar or feel a blip.
What does "no response" mean? Was your engine bogging down, or was it like you were in neutral?

maybe you had air in your brake lines that bubbled up to the top of the reservoir pushing brake fluid into the master cylinder causing your brakes to pinch on the roters. That doesn't explain your engine problem

Last edited by Axel Nut; 04-20-2018 at 01:43 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Levers are certainly not the problem. Worst case scenario your cheapo brake lever is engaged when you're not activating it. You'd feel that fairly consistently. Or maybe it's not disengaging when you let it go. You'd feel that too. Neither is likely the fault of the lever, more likely incorrect installation. The levers are only activating a system, they can't do anything beyond that.

If it was a wheel lock thing you'd have felt considerable nose dive, no way around those physics.

Your description sounds like an engine or clutch/tranny issue.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if the front locked you'd crash pretty well immediately.

however your brakes could have come on because you installed your levers incorrectly and left the system closed. as you heat the fluid it stays trapped in the system and would apply pressure to the calipers, which in turn creates braking force and more heat, so it gets worse and worse.

the engine would stall if you didn't let it slow as the bike slowed.

double check your work, or get help from someone who knows what they're doing, you're lucky you're not dead
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A buddy off mine had this happen to me. The front brake didn't lock up all at once, but went from slighty braking to completely braking in about 5 seconds....His issue was some Chinese levers that had too much material in one area if I remember correctly. He took a dremel to it and it never happened again.

I would check your levers like Wibbly said^^^
The Following User Says Thank You to wags81 For This Useful Post:
carsang (04-20-2018)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I guess what I meant by no response was that the rpms did not go up if I gave it throttle, but on a 2nd thought, I may have been panicking too much to even notice if there was a response. it makes sense since once at 0mph, the bike stalled. and here I was thinking for a day the gearbox was the problem lol.

yea I meant the levers were installed wrong, found from the reviews, there's a pinhole that's suppose to be inserted into the brake lever on "certain models" (that's what instructions say .. could've said specifically CBR and in bold). just in case anyone install these MZS shorties in the future on a cbr
https://www.amazon.com/MZS-CBR600RR-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I've locked front wheels twice before, both times, the front tire completely jolted up, and I heard screeching, not gonna lie, I don't have the skills to maintain the bike without highsiding at such a high speed. this was more a controlled skid where the brakes applied itself? I was extremely lucky, I was going at about 65mph, the car behind me would've hit me but he slammed his brakes on time when he saw my bike smoking white smoke.

thanks guys! I'll be shopping for quality asv or crg levers instead, won't be trusting these anymore, I almost died..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page