'06 600RR high beam issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 600RR high beam issue

First: I'm at work so I haven't researched all of the threads to determine if this has already been addressed, so my apologies in advance if this is a repeat post.

About a month ago, when I went to switch on my high beam, the blue dash light would take a few seconds to click on, but then the light would come on as it was supposed to. Over time, eventually the light just stopped coming on. I assumed a bad fuse and/or bulb. Just this past weekend, I bought new H7 bulbs (From amazon) and installed them. They went in just as easy as expected, and the "day-time running" light turned on with the key. When I turned my kill switch on and pushed the start pushbutton, just the clicking of the relay by the battery. No start. Hrm, this is interesting. So I ensured the bulb was installed properly and it was. Checked fuses and wires, all looked good. Put the original bulb back in, leaving the newly purchased bulb in the "day-time" light, bike started right up first time.

Ideas?

The bike does look like it's in need of a wire-harness make-over. But that's going to run me 300$+. I don't mind doing it, and I will eventually, but I'm just curious at this point as to why the original bulb would work and the new one wouldn't in the high-beam socket, but would in the low beam socket. And why the bike will start with the old bulb in (but light still doesn't work) and will not start with the new bulb in (and light still doesn't work).

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm sure it's some sort of grounding issue, or a bad socket ..

Side note - the high-beams blue indicator light turns on on the dash ... but still no high-beam light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:47 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Stupid question but - Have you tried putting the old bulb back and seeing if it kicks over?

if yes... and i appreciate the annoying nature of this question... have you been back to honda to buy the recommended bulbs to see if they make any difference... (shouldn't normally be necessary but in a lot of cases of dodgy brake lights in places etc this is the reason)

Does it start without any bulb at all? (potentially a bigger issue in the wiring cause its being included in the circuit)

Good luck!

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJeckel View Post
...Put the original bulb back in, leaving the newly purchased bulb in the "day-time" light, bike started right up first time...
I'm beginning to think that it's some sort of strange grounding issue with the aftermarket bulb. Right now I have an aftermarket bulb in the left (as riding) light and it works fine, with an original bulb in the right (as riding) light which will not work as a high beam. The high beam light shows blue on the dash when the light switch is switched, but no light. The bike starts fine in this configuration ... I just don't have high beam for now. It's probably time for a new wiring harness at this point in time anyways ... I'm just putting off the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page