Guys need your help please with a ticking/rattling sound - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Guys need your help please with a ticking/rattling sound

Hate to be sitting here typing this out especially when i've literally bent over back wards to look after my pride and joy like most, Anyway noticed an issue after a recent incident due my lack of judgement. Otherwise Bike was running perfect before storage and after. Let some one see my bike and they revved the engine really high and i noticed this rattling sound after..

Changed to full synthetic Motul oil around 7 months ago, Everything else was working fine no issues, starts up perfectly. 4T 7100 10w 40.

So many threads appearing with similar issues. Have narrowed it down and just need you help to confirm please. Full details are above which hopefully will help us pin point

CCT- Some point to the CCT which i'm hoping it is. CCT can get got thrown of balance due to the sudden
high to low rpm

rod bearings - Can cause damage to the engine and is the last thing a bike needs. Apparently the main
cause is when beginners take the rpm to high and not moving. If it's this i'm screwed :)

valve clearence

Or hopefully just a loose nut. Have added some video with similar sounds

video below - Cold start, idle
https://youtu.be/BEMksOTC1F8

Almost sounds like a timing belt issue on car. So have decided not to ride till it's sorted anyway. Only riden 3-4 times since, not very hard at all, urban areas not much on highways

Hopefully nothing not a problem, let me know what you guys think please

Thanks again, take care

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-13-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So just reading into this more - Haynes Manual / troubleshooting / engine noise issues

Connecting rod bent - can be caused by over revving and badly flooded engine. Looks like a combination of both. Let someone see my bike and was stalled more then once and revved un-necessarily high.. hope this is not the case otherwise will have to get my connecting rod straightened

Hopefully nothing to worry about here and just the usual CCT replacement.

bike has 30k on it - 04 600rr

Some say these sounds are normal? Doesn't sound right..sure you can understand why it's on my mind when it wasn't their earlier, the engine sounded clean. Could only hear the exhaust running and fan..

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-13-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Beginning to think it has always been like this, nothing to worry about here, just more noisy now :) Have an older video however few ft away where i can hear a similar noise very faintly. Will replace the CCT or clean out the old one anyway, doesn't cost much and due to high mileage more then likely due

So Sometimes The CCT will not spring back due to high low RPM swings when idle causing this noise and sometime removing it will free the spring ratchet / Spring thingi so hopefully this will make it more quite

Also noticed when pulling the clutch in the sounds fades away and get noticeably louder during high RPM if that helps..

anyway let me know what you think..

Combination of the CCT getting louder or The rider moi simply paying more attention to the bike engine noise over the Exhaust

Hopefully not Rods or engine damage... Will pass by the local motorcycle garage for a quick chat, won't hurt.

Thanks again and apologies in advance if it does turn out to be normal.

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Sounds like a valve or rod damage to me, almost as if something is touching / hitting...

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-14-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

if not heard back i'll just go ahead with the CCT replacement to be safe and let you know how it goes...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarep View Post
if not heard back i'll just go ahead with the CCT replacement to be safe and let you know how it goes...
See my post in cips thread. If you rev your engine in neutral (or clutch engaged), and on decel you hear a shaking bag of marbles sound, it is likely your CCT. You are fine for quite some time (1000's of miles), however if you hear this same sound when engine is under load and you let off the throttle, again you are probably fine for quite some time, but yeah you need to replace your CCT.

Have fun with that. Was the biggest PITA repair I have ever done.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yup i've been keeping an eye on cips thread, cheers! Thats was good timing. Actually came across a very useful you tube video of a before and after cct replacement, owner claimed it sorted the noise out. i'll post the links to them

I've decided the cct is getting replaced wether it likes it or not, repair doesn't look too bad compared to valve adjustment :) Bikes already on 30k so already preparing myself for that, will be a big job but one i'm looking forward to if i'm honest. Enjoy the challenge, sort of like a puzzle although we know were all the pieces go :D just a matter of patience and following steps, really doesn't get easier. Looks very time consuming that's all... Don't have the CCT Honda tool which is only thing i can think of that will slow me down during the CCT replacement..

anyway thanks again for the tips, it's been a pleasure as usual

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Listening to the posted video it honestly sounds more like an exhaust leak than a cam chain tensioner. I have a video showing exactly what a loose cam chain tensioner sounds like on my phone. I'll post it soon for future reference

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Interesting, i've heard similar stories. Cheers, i'll take a good look at the exhaust / connections ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page