Big coolant leak on hard acceleration - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Big coolant leak on hard acceleration

My bike is a 2003 Honda cbr600rr. The other day I did a hard acceleration from a stop sign about a mile and a half from my house and after shifting from 2nd gear into 3rd I noticed that my right leg was getting warm. Initially, I had thought nothing of it until I had noticed a brief moment later that the temp of my bike was reading 220 which is far too hot. keep in mind that it was only about 55 degrees outside and I had only been riding a brief 6 or so minutes from class. I drove the rest of the way to my house where when I got off the whole right side of my bike was steaming from the coolant. I took off the fairings as fast as I could to see what was going on and I couldn't really tell where the leak was coming from or why it had leaked in the first place. I had originally thought that it had to be the radiator cap that leaked but there was very little coolant in that area, the majority was down by the reservoir. I had also noticed that there was coolant coming out the tubes on the left side of the bike for drainage right by the gear shifter.

About 1 month ago I did do a coolant flush and I haven't had any problems since then but a part of me wonders if this was caused by having air bubbles in the system or filling the reserve tank too high. Also after taking off the radiator cap and looking inside it was pretty dry with little to no coolant so this means somehow I lost about half a gallon of coolant in the half-mile trip from the stop sign to my house.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be the problem that would be greatly appreciated.

ride or die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'd recommend cleaning the bike up first, then letting it dry off completely (all with fairings off). Then, fill up your coolant (radiator and overflow) to the spec levels. Let the bike idle for a bit, and see if you can spot your leak. I'd guess it will show itself pretty fast with that amount of leakage. Trouble spots are on metal-rubber barb connections, and occasionally on the radiator itself. You'll probably have to let the bike open the thermostat (get to operating temp), then the leak will show up. You can open the rad cap, and watch until the coolant starts flowing inside, then close it quickly. Then watch for that leak.

If you find a hose fitting that's leaking, and the rubber hose is bulging around the clamp already, don't just tighten it more, it's probably time to replace your hoses. Also look for pinholes in the rubber hoses.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
So I poured more coolant in and it turns out the leak was coming from underneath the gas tank. After removing the tank fairing and lifting the tank out I noticed that a hose had become completely unattached from a valve causing coolant to pour out. the hoses looked to be in good condition still so I put it back on the valve and clamped it back down. Bike works great now and runs at normal operating temps next project is a new clutch cable...

ride or die
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BananaCBR600 For This Useful Post:
Miweber929 (09-12-2018), Wazoo (09-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page