06 cbr600rr wont start - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 cbr600rr wont start

Hey all,
I'm having start up issues with my 06.
I've performed oil changes coolant flush etc. And the bike has started up with no issue. A week ago I even let the bike run for a while to burn off some oil off the headers. This morning I go to turn the bike on and it wont start all of a sudden.

When I put the key in ignition and turn it the display turns on but when I hit the killswitch on the bike doesn't prime at all like how it has always done. Instead there is 1 or 2 clicks coming from the this relay(?). When I press down the ignition switch the bike cranks up sounds like it's about to turn on but never does. I took out the battery and put it on a tender all day and checked the green 30 and yellow 20 fuses and they were not blown. I also checked the fuses below the 3 relays(?) On the left side of the bike and they were ok. But the issue remains
The bike has just under 13k miles. Has a Bazzaz fi tune, kn air filter and two brothers slip on.
I've read that the issue may be the bank
angle sensor behind the 3rd headlight which I did come in contact with when installing a new headlight housing but after everything was reassembled the bike was fine for weeks until this morning. I would appreciate any help and suggestions

https://youtu.be/oniorSu3MEQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_112139_1541905974293.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	200093  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,028 Times in 840 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if the FI light comes on for a few seconds, then goes out when you toggle the kill switch, then the BAS is good.

does the relay click on with the kill switch, then off a few seconds later? if so that's normal behavior for the fuel pump relay.

you may want to look for 12v at the fuel pump connector as a starting point.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Knee Dragger

There is a really for the fuel pump behind the battery. Have you checked that?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
There is a really for the fuel pump behind the battery. Have you checked that?
There is a third fuse to check near the battery besides the green 30 and yellow 20? Those were the only two I saw the last time I checked
Edit: this correct?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181110_113942_1541987818855.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	200113  

Last edited by ANTIIV; 11-11-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Add picture.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
if the FI light comes on for a few seconds, then goes out when you toggle the kill switch, then the BAS is good.

does the relay click on with the kill switch, then off a few seconds later? if so that's normal behavior for the fuel pump relay.

you may want to look for 12v at the fuel pump connector as a starting point.
Ok Yeah the FI on the display turns on as I turn the kill switch down to on and yes to the relay clicking with the kill switch. I tried to demonstrate that with the video but it's hard to hear.
So test voltage at the fuel pump connector with a multimeter? As I have very limited knowledge of bike, how and where exactly would this be done (ill include pics under tank). Itll take me a few days to purchase a multimeter (if that's even the appropriate instrument) but if there is not 12v at the fuel pump connector what would be the next step to suggest
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181111_202905_1541987001357.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	200107   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_202857_1541987153982.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	200109   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_202851_1541987183216.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	200111  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,028 Times in 840 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there are two relays that need to click with the kill switch. the engine stop relay, and the fuel pump relay.

when you hit the kill switch to the run position, both relays will turn on, a couple of seconds later, the fuel pump relay should click off.

if the engine stop relay is working (as indicated by the FI lamp illuminating briefly when you hit the kill switch to the run position), and the fuel pump relay is not. the issue is either that the ecu doesn't want the fuel pump running (injector fault etc), the ecu is unable to control the pump relay (wiring issue between relay and ecu), or there's a problem with the power that supplies the fuel pump relay (less likely as it comes from the engine stop relay).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 AM
Training Wheel Hero

My assumption is the BAS sensor, make sure it is in the correct position, for testing purposes use a piece of wire and “pin” the two outer wires together, then try and start the bike,
If no change:

-Check all fuses, @Fuse block, @battery positive connector, @STARter relay *(if cranking, should be good)* if all have power:

-Make sure your ignition signal/pink wire (if applicable) is getting 9V reference to fuel pump

-perform a spark test, if you have spark, BAS is working, crank and cam sensors are working, most likely your ECM is good as well.

-Could be another issue in the safety system(ie. kickstand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, as well as the killswitch!!!

Do the other tests first though and let us know!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

UPDATE: so I think I may have found an issue. I found that the connector to the fuel pump is getting power but the fuel pump itself was not turning on so It may be the pump. Since that's a $300+ part I took the bike for a second opinion before I throw money away and the shop said they also believe the fuel pump is the issue after ruling out a couple of other potential electrical issuses. So I guess for now I will replace the fuel pump and update how the bike is running afterwards. Suprising bc the bike was fine prior, there was no signs of loss of or sputtering just one day it stops working. I get the bike is almost 13 years old but seems strange

What would actually make a fuel pump go bad? Ik the bikes been dropped more than a few times by previous owner but the fairings been spared competely by frame sliders

Last edited by ANTIIV; 11-21-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Im having same issue i wont belive it if the pump itself is bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page