Bike shuts off with hard acceleration - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike shuts off with hard acceleration

I’ve got a brand new 2016 600rr. I just changed the oil/filter last night at about 615 miles. It’s ran perfect until today. Several times during hard acceleration the bike would completely shut down/die. Once I couldn’t get it started back up. The engine would turn over fine, but not start. I jiggled the fuel injection fuse and it then started. I replaced that fuse with the spare, and headed home ( the old fuse looked fine upon inspection). But it still went dead one more time after hard acceleration. The only other info is that 3 days ago, it fell over (while running) while I was trying to back it up. I turned the key off immediately. And picked it up. It ran perfectly afterwards. (Just bruised ego). Any ideas on this brand new bike would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 AM
Pocketbike Racer

He dropped his bike while running. Unknown if it was the tip sensor shutting the bike off, or turning they key. Supposedly bike ran fine after that. After changing oil and filter at 615 miles, the bike now turns off (shuts down/dies) under hard acceleration.

How does the bike behave after it "shuts down/dies" Are you able to start it back up with the starter button while coasting down the road? Do you come to a complete stop, and start it. Turn the key off/on, fllip the kill switch? Do you still have electronics? Give more details bro.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

When it fell over in thanksgiving day, the bike turned itself off. Then I turned the key off. When I picked it back up, it started perfectly. No other issues that day.
I changed the oil/filter the following day around 600 miles. No issues.
Then Yesterday is when it began acting strange. The first indication was once, it didn’t want to fire up. The starter motor was fine. (I think I recall NOT hearing the fuel pump prior to trying that time). I turned the key off and back on which I definitely heard the pump and it started normally.
Later during that ride is when the engine would shut off during hard acceleration. It happened 3-4 times. Once I could not get it to start back up. I sat in the side of the road 20 minutes. At that time, I jiggled the 20amp FI fuse and it started. So I replaced it with the spare thinking it was a random crappy fuse. (Didn’t appear blown). And my bike started up and I headed home. I accelerated hard again and it died instantly. Like you hit the kill switch. But this time it started back up with the ignition switch as I was rolling to a stop.
I tried accelerating hard again closer to home and it ran perfectly.
I’m puzzled.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,044 Times in 850 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
probably your bank angle sensor. when it trips it does the exact same thing as the kill switch. so if it's tripped, the fuel pump won't prime, the FI light won't come on for a few seconds when you turn the key on. basically the ECU is powered down if the bank angle sensor is tripped.

to determine if it's actually the case, just bypass it by connecting the outside two wires in the 3 wire plug together.

if this fixes the issue, replace the BAS. maybe it was damaged in the fall and ins't resetting properly.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:47 AM
Training Wheel Hero

My 2016 did this a few times the fuel pump stops getting power, next time it does it turn the key on and off and you won’t hear it priming, left me on the side of the road for 30 minutes after turning it on and off 100 times. Found the problem to be the kill switch I opened it up and bent the two small tabs a little making a stronger contact issue has never came back since.

chris cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page