07 Missing, low idle, air duster helps lol - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 07 Missing, low idle, air duster helps lol

Hey guys. So bought an 07 600rr that had been sitting for a year-ish, was otherwise good afaik. Initial work was cleaning the intake out from all the bugs, thankfully engine side of airbox was spotless. Put new oil in, changed coolant, fresh spark plugs (gapped them to spec), about to put a new chain on, and of course a new battery is on. Had a PCIII but took it off to simplify troubleshooting and took the time to update its firmware and load a good stock map compared to whatever had been set, as I'm pretty sure it wasn't dyno'd.

The bike just doesn't like starting, it's like you have to hit this tenth of a mm sized spot in the throttle twist to get it to start catching and actually get it to want to start. It doesn't kick on, it just speeds up from starting rpm to a super low clunky idle between 900-1200 rpm. The GA temps are 50-70 right now, so not too much getting in the way. Any throttle just about cuts out the bike unless you kind of play with it and trick it into revving higher.

I would be less stumped but this is all unless you spray air duster into the intake. After about half a second or so, as long as the air is coming (really as long as your hands can stand the cold can and it keeps going) the engine will run super cleanly with no smoke and can even be freely revved! Using this also allows the bike to run just well enough without the air to actually warm all the way up to temp, not that I prefer an idle warm-up, but there is just no bike to ride currently. When it's warmed up, by the way, it's significantly easier to start.

My Haynes finally came in after 6 days of blank troubleshooting with Google and this forum, which helped me confidently assure that some of the fuel/air/exhaust system is pretty sound, but there's still a lot to deep clean to make it easier to see what's what as I get it apart, and I live at an apartment complex, so that doesn't help. So finally resorting to posting myself.

There's nothing indicating anything seriously wrong with this engine, and I feel like there's an intake component I'm missing that's blocked or something stupid like a TPS inaccuracy or something. I've troubleshot sat bikes to running twice before and dealt with a known issue on the gsxr I had previously, so I'd like to hope I can tackle this. No FI lights or flashing oil symbols, and it seems like everyone really loves these bikes. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

but when it's running good and I have a good reason to finish new paint on the fairings and decals, I'll be sure to post some pics! lol
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

oh and I do have a fresh filter otw, but bikbandit has been the slowest shipping out of anything/anyone I've ordered parts/stuff through so far. Ordered small stuff here and there from them but was a little disgruntled how long it took to get a tracking, but I think the existing filter is in good enough condition to do well in the meanwhile. I think I tested it on the stand w/o the filter (airbox topper w/ ecu off) and the problem seemed to stick around, so we'll see for sure about that aspect probably this Wednesday/Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page