No start condition after stator cover & oil change - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start condition after stator cover & oil change

Bike is a 2006 600RR with about 27K on it that I bought last June - have had zero problems with it thus far. Changed the stator cover last weekend along with an oil change and once I finished the bike now no longer starts. All gauge lights & headlights come on, I hear the fuel pump prime, it turns over and it comes really close to starting but unfortunately does not. I've tried to start it roughly 10 times holding the starter down for about a few seconds or so each time. I also just got a fresh battery as I had no idea how old the previous one was plus it wasn't holding 12V very well. However, the new battery still leaves me with the same problem.

I've seen the sticky for troubleshooting no start conditions but before I start going down the list is there anything anyone could recommend that could possibly be related to any of the work I mentioned above? This bike started fine 2 maybe 3 weeks ago and I feel like although it's possible this could be unrelated to any of the work I've done - that somehow it isn't.

So far to troubleshoot I've:
-Checked all fuses under the seat and in the fuse box on the left side.
-Checked resistance on the stator, it outputs zero but shouldn't the bike still start without this plugged in as long as the battery is fresh though?
- Have also ruled out typical stupid stuff like the bike not being in neutral, the kill switch being on and the kickstand being down (bike is on wheel stands currently). Bike also has 3/4 of a tank that was topped of with Seafoam in December.

Any feedback would be appreciated - weather is steadily getting nicer and I'm straight losing my mind over this.

Last edited by jlibs; 03-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There’s a pickup under the stator cover that’s easy to get on upside down (if I remember right). That’s probably your issue.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-25-2019)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey man, appreciate the response.

When you say upside down do you mean backwards? I came across the article below which talks about the wiring side needing to face away from the flywheel - is that what you're referring to? I feel like I definitely have the harness facing inward towards the flywheel but this seemed to be correct from every picture and video I could find and the grommet slid right into the slot of the stator cover so I assumed I had the coils on correctly.

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...llation-guide/

Last edited by jlibs; 03-21-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibs View Post
Hey man, appreciate the response.

When you say upside down do you mean backwards? I came across the article below which talks about the wiring side needing to face away from the flywheel - is that what you're referring to? I feel like I definitely have the harness facing inward towards the flywheel but this seemed to be correct from every picture and video I could find and the grommet slid right into the slot of the stator cover so I assumed I had the coils on correctly.

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...llation-guide/
Scratch that, Iím thinking the clutch cover and the pickup coil being easy to put on backwards. Early morning fog, I guess.

I would, however, check that the stator is installed correctly and that nothing is off, something else unplugged or a bad wiring job on the stator. If it ran until you did the work, then retrace every step until you find whatís causing the issue.

Was the stator bad, and thatís why you pulled the cover?

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The stator was not bad when I pulled it - the cover on the bike when I bought it was scratched very badly and previous owner had an OEM replacement cover that they gave to me. Since I drained the oil I figured now would be a good time to get that cover replaced also. I'll likely remove the cover again this weekend and report back on any findings. Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you may have just flooded it. did you start it briefly then shut it off?

when you're trying to start it, hold the throttle wide open (open throttle 100%, crank bike normally for a few seconds, keep doing this until it stops sputtering), then release the throttle and start it normally.

if it's TRYING to catch, then all systems are go, it's nothing to do with the work you did.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (03-22-2019)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

My current efforts to get it started have all been fairly brief - if that's what you mean. Like turning it over for a few seconds maybe 2 or 3 times consecutively; did that a couple different times. I did manage to drain my brand new battery low enough that it needs charged but never really held the starter down for more than a few seconds at a time and never with throttle. I'll try starting it again with WOT and see if that gets me anywhere. Appreciate the response.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I was able to get the bike started after 3 or 4 attempts while pretty much holding the the throttle wide open. I backed off just a bit but not much and the bike eventually turned over and ran. Can't thank you guys enough for the insight.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
holding the throttle wide open turns off the injectors. you do this so you give the bike a chances to pump the flooding fuel in the cylinder and ignite it away.

once it's sputtered and done this, you need to restart as normal.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Gotcha - ironically I believe this is what I had ended up doing anyways. I let it run for about a minute or so after it first started but having forgot to clean off the headers of oil from my oil change I had white smoke pretty quickly so I shut it off, cleaned and then started it back up and let it run for a few minutes. I've started it back up a few times since and it seems to be firing like it was previously. Again - really appreciate the assistance here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page