Bike will not start after valve adjustment - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation Bike will not start after valve adjustment

Hi all,

Sorry for posting twice, i had the inital thread going under engine tech, but realized maybe i should be posting to troubleshooting section.

Anyways, to recap. I did a valve adjustment and changed my shims and measure spacing all was good, got the bike back together no problem. The bike would not start.....When it started for two seconds there was a loud clank from the cam chain. So, i tore everything back down to the valves again, aligned everything to top dead center made sure markings In & Ex were at 9 and 3 o'clock and flush. Bottom T mark was positioned accordingly. I took the CCT off and made sure the links between the sprockets were exact. I reinstalled the CCT and cranked it a few times and it spun well with a bit of force needed, but no clank or rattling of the chain anymore.

Reinstalled everything, tried the bike again, but did not start again. I then checked the spark plugs gap and even tested to see if all four fired which they did no problem. While i had the plugs off i did a compression test which yielded between 165 and close to 170 for all four which is a good reading seeing how the bike is cold and may be off from the 178 psi indicated in the manual. So all is good there and i was happy to see my compression tests come out clean that nothing is severely damaged and i think this also clears that my valve job was done correctly.

I then got desperate and switched out the gas in the tank thinking this might have gone bad, but still the bike will not start. All i am able to get from the bike is it started for a brief very short period and was revving very low and did not sounds good, then it would not start at all. When i tried starter fluid sprayed into the intake and it worked better and got the bike turning but died once i stopped spraying.

I am missing something and it is driving me crazy!!!! not sure at this point what the problem could be. I didnt do anything else to the bike except the valves, which the spacing is good and the compression test came out clean. Is gas not getting where its supposed to? i have no idead.

HELP!!!!!

Last edited by Plusaq; 03-29-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Problem solved.....wow ...spent a day trying to figure this nonsense out....

Thank you all for the emotional support :)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plusaq View Post
Problem solved.....wow ...spent a day trying to figure this nonsense out....

Thank you all for the emotional support :)
Glad to hear its sorted.
What was the issue in the end?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well i solved the CCT problem and realigned the chain on the sprockets as it was slipping.

Then i figured out that no gas was getting to injectors and my gas line had been bent under the gas tank. Stupid ....

i just need to figure out how to orient or put the line in so it does not get bent when lower the gas tank down
The Following User Says Thank You to Plusaq For This Useful Post:
Diefenbaker (03-31-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page