Rough Shifting on New 600 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Shifting on New 600

Hello everyone! So I recently bought a brand new 2019 CBR 600RR, and it seems very difficult to “smoothly” shift gears (both up and down). I rode my buddies Yamaha XSR900 (which has 4000 miles on it) and I was able to effortlessly shift through his gears like butter without worrying about where I was speed/RPM wise and all transitions were “smooth.” He has aftermarket ASV levers, but I don’t believe that should make much of a difference? I’ve riden dirt bikes my whole life and my only “street” experience is with dual sports, but I don’t consider myself to be totally “clutch noobie.” So my question/concern is, are CBR’s typically difficult to smoothly transition between gears? Is there a break in stage for the clutch/transmission as there is with the engine? Should I be concerned and take it in to the dealer I purchased from? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try only letting off throttle a tiny bit when upshifting, and using clutch lightly do the upshift gently and quickly.

Upshifts should occur in upper half of rev range, I short shift from 1-2 and get past N calmly.....as first gear high rpm riding is rarely necessary for me.

Whole duration of upshift s/b 0.5 seconds, and it takes only a fan of the clutch and a tickle with your toe once you get the hang of it.

How are you at rev matching on downshifts?

If you've ridden 2 stroke 125's, these bikes shift the same once you're comfortable.

wooooot,wooot,wooot(100mph), wooooot,wooot(150mph, and then a long scream in 6th to redline(163mph+)

HTH!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

See I’ve been riding a 2-stroke 97 CR 250 for over a decade and I feel like any dirt bike I’ve ever hopped onto I’ve been able to swap the gear no problem, and it was the same with my friend XSR900. That’s why I was confused as to why I’m having such a hard time with this 600 to the point where it’s making me think something is wrong with the bike.

I’ve got all my “street buddies” telling me “Nah, your clutch and tranny should be butter smooth off the lot” “My Harley was smooth this, my 1000 was smooth that” and a couple of them complete first time never touched a motorcycle in their life noobies.

Also I feel I may be having “buyers remorse” and coming up with problems that don’t exist. Today though, there was a couple times where the bike felt like it didn’t want to go into gear and grabbed and the rear wheel jumped, well after I had disengaged the clutch

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
See I’ve been riding a 2-stroke 97 CR 250 for over a decade and I feel like any dirt bike I’ve ever hopped onto I’ve been able to swap the gear no problem, and it was the same with my friend XSR900. That’s why I was confused as to why I’m having such a hard time with this 600 to the point where it’s making me think something is wrong with the bike.

I’ve got all my “street buddies” telling me “Nah, your clutch and tranny should be butter smooth off the lot” “My Harley was smooth this, my 1000 was smooth that” and a couple of them complete first time never touched a motorcycle in their life noobies.

Also I feel I may be having “buyers remorse” and coming up with problems that don’t exist. Today though, there was a couple times where the bike felt like it didn’t want to go into gear and grabbed and the rear wheel jumped, well after I had disengaged the clutch
CBRs should be buttery smooth when shifting, so if even half of what you are describing is true I’d say a visit to your dealer is needed.

My only caveat to that is have you ridden a bike with rearsets before (the XSR isn’t as high peg wise, more like a dirt bike) and are your controls adjusted to a place that’s comfortable for you? If you haven’t ridden a sportbike, and you have big feet or clunky boots (you are wearing motorcycle specific footwear, correct?) you need to adjust all that so it’s comfortable and there’s a complete range of motion.

Has the bike been down or tipped over? Grab the upper shift shaft, the one above the transmission, and try to push it in and pull it out with your hand. If it moves more than a few millimeters, you have a problem with the keeper plate and it will shift poorly until fixed.

And have you had someone else try it? See what they think but don’t let it be the person who thinks Harley’s shift smoothly........

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-14-2019), tary preisser (06-14-2019)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Upper shift shaft doesn’t move hardly at all, and I bought the bike brand new, never been down. And the only other person to ride it was my friend with the XSR900 and he agreed it was “a bit tricky to smoothly shift gears”
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Edited* Whoops double posted
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Take it to dealer, and ask if it's shifting correctly.

if it's a legit dealer they'll check and let you know.....

pretty unusual for a gearbox to be factory f'd.....
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
Miweber929 (06-14-2019)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 07 CBR shifted like butter. But I do know some of the honda's were finicky with certain oil. Example: my old xr's clutch plates would stick a little with certain oil but worked great with other oil in it. I agree with above and talk with the dealer. Preferably the service mgr or most experienced mechanic.

07 600RR Track bike
07 KTM SuperDuke
07 600RR Red Bull Street Bike
Ride Within your limits! Last one still riding wins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page