600RR 03 problems when the bike hot - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
600RR 03 problems when the bike hot

hey guys, first of all, sorry for my bad english.
so I bought my self 600rr 2003 one month ago and have two problems, maybe someone here know where to start.
I live in a very hot country (Israel) and the temp gauge is always between 96-110 I thought there is something with my coolant system but I found this forum and saw a post about the temp.
the first problem, after 20-30min of riding, if I turn off the bike and start again, the starter sounds weak like the batt is dead, but if I let the bike 15mins to cold down everything back to normal.
the batt is new and when the bike cold it starts with no problem.
another thing is after 20-30min of riding if I pull the clutch on low speed, to shift down or slow down on traffic or on a red light, the RPM drops under 1K and the bike turn off and again if I let him to cold down like 15mins everything back to normal.
most of my riding is when it's 31C outside and some times 34C, but last week I took the bike for a ride early on the morning when it was still cold outside (you know desert, hot days cold nights)
and the bike didn't had any problems at all and that's why I think maybe its something with the coolant system.
I must say I don't redline the bike and don't know much about the history of this bike, till now I changed the oil and batt. next week I want to take off the fairings maybe I will find something there, change spark plugs and valve check.
if someone here has any idea where to start and can help me it would be awesome.
safe riding to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would check the stator output and the voltage regulator to start

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hello, a little update... still didn't find the problem.
I took off all the fairings to check the wires and found a bit of corrosion on starter relay, and on three relays on the left side of the air filter box, cleaned and put some grease on the connection.
found the throttle body dirty and cleaned it.
found two intake valves that needed a little adjustment.
spark plugs are fine but I ordered a new one.
after that, I let the bike to work outside and check the charging everything is fine, but when the fan starts to work volts drop below 13v and bike turn off. so I change the voltage regulator and the battery for check and still the same problem.
so there is something with the fan but I have no idea what to check next.
any ideas?
thanks a lot

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Training Wheel Hero

what brand of battery do you have? if its a cheap battery it might not be putting out the 190cca to kick it over...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Check the stator output. Make sure it's charging

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hello again, found the fan problem.
as I said before, when the fan starts to work, charging drops below 13v and the bike dies.
I took another fan and connect it outside the bike maybe there is a problem with my fan but it didn't help when the fan starts to work if I touch the throttle a little bit charging back to normal and the bike doesn't die.
so I download the workshop service manual, in the manual says that rpm should be 1.3 when the bike is warm.
mine was 1.5 when it's cold but when it warms down to 1.0, so I increase the rpm to 1.3 on warm and bike stop to die when the fan is working and charging is good.
2nd problem with starter when the engine is hot I guess the starter just old and tired I will check the starter next week when I will get my new spark plugs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IIRC, 2003-6 can have starter issues, and needs to be opened and cleaned.....starter could need new carbon brushes also.....

There's a thread on this on the forum....use search?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is a battery issue. Your battery voltage is too low to supply the correct current needed under load. Clean your cables and ground connection on the left side of the frame and trickle charge the battery until you have at least 12.8v. Anything under 12.6v can cause hard starting problems. I have an 04 I bought brand new and had the same problem. Replace the battery if you need to but get the bike on a trickle charger and keep it on there. Once you get a good battery and a trickle charger these problems should go away.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (07-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page