What's wrong with this key cylinder? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's wrong with this key cylinder?

I put a bid on a salvage title '06 that was stolen/vandalized and recovered.

Looks like the thieves smashed in the key cylinder? Is this as simple as replacing that part (and fuel tank lid and seat key cylinder)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20190718-161958_Chrome_1563495499862.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	201333  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

This, perhaps? (I can't believe this is so cheap.)

Ignition Switch Lock Key Fuel Gas Petrol Cap Cover Set For Honda CBR 04-07 1000RR 03-06 600RR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018S6YN50..._oYqmDb1WFDTQS
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichapman For This Useful Post:
Wazoo (07-20-2019)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Training Wheel Hero

It can be bypassed or replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I have an OEM Ignition Switch w/ working keys (3) that came off my 09 CBR 600rr. It turns on the bike and everything but the steering locking mechanism is broken. I Also have a seperate key and lock for the tailseat section. Both locks are for an 09 but should be interchangeable with an 04-06.

Or it may be possible to transfer portion of the key switch to your switch. Usually you only have to move over the key tube between locks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Okay sweet. I'll keep that in mind. The auction ends next Tuesday so I'll know if I got it then.

Do you have a gas cap and key as well?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The link for the ignition kit is a cheap Chinese set. They are all over eBay for probably even less money.

I've swapped out a few ignitions and I prefer a used OEM one to these as the lock cylinders are really crap.

The lock portion just plugs into the main harness on your bike. It's simple to swap them out.

The only slightly difficult thing is that the ignition is attached to your top triple with one way screws. These are made to go in and then purposely strip so they can't be easily backed out. It's a theft deterrent thing.

To get them out requires a tool that drills into them and then backs them out. The one I bought at Harbor Freight cost less than $10 and I've used it a half dozen times (my rule of thumb for HF tools is to buy them only if you expect to use them only once) so well worth the price.

If you bring an ignition to a locksmith without keys he can make you a set for less than $100.

Easy fix.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
The link for the ignition kit is a cheap Chinese set. They are all over eBay for probably even less money.

I've swapped out a few ignitions and I prefer a used OEM one to these as the lock cylinders are really crap.

The lock portion just plugs into the main harness on your bike. It's simple to swap them out.

The only slightly difficult thing is that the ignition is attached to your top triple with one way screws. These are made to go in and then purposely strip so they can't be easily backed out. It's a theft deterrent thing.

To get them out requires a tool that drills into them and then backs them out. The one I bought at Harbor Freight cost less than $10 and I've used it a half dozen times (my rule of thumb for HF tools is to buy them only if you expect to use them only once) so well worth the price.

If you bring an ignition to a locksmith without keys he can make you a set for less than $100.

Easy fix.
Bat I agree those eBay cylinders are trouble. I was stranded for a bit one evening when the steering lock jammed up. I had to use the tool kit and then zip tie the cylinder to the triple to get back to the shop.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page