Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

What's wrong with this key cylinder?

660 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  498cm3 
#1 ·
I put a bid on a salvage title '06 that was stolen/vandalized and recovered.

Looks like the thieves smashed in the key cylinder? Is this as simple as replacing that part (and fuel tank lid and seat key cylinder)?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have an OEM Ignition Switch w/ working keys (3) that came off my 09 CBR 600rr. It turns on the bike and everything but the steering locking mechanism is broken. I Also have a seperate key and lock for the tailseat section. Both locks are for an 09 but should be interchangeable with an 04-06.

Or it may be possible to transfer portion of the key switch to your switch. Usually you only have to move over the key tube between locks.

#6 ·
The link for the ignition kit is a cheap Chinese set. They are all over eBay for probably even less money.

I've swapped out a few ignitions and I prefer a used OEM one to these as the lock cylinders are really crap.

The lock portion just plugs into the main harness on your bike. It's simple to swap them out.

The only slightly difficult thing is that the ignition is attached to your top triple with one way screws. These are made to go in and then purposely strip so they can't be easily backed out. It's a theft deterrent thing.

To get them out requires a tool that drills into them and then backs them out. The one I bought at Harbor Freight cost less than $10 and I've used it a half dozen times (my rule of thumb for HF tools is to buy them only if you expect to use them only once) so well worth the price.

If you bring an ignition to a locksmith without keys he can make you a set for less than $100.

Easy fix.

#7 ·
The link for the ignition kit is a cheap Chinese set. They are all over eBay for probably even less money.

I've swapped out a few ignitions and I prefer a used OEM one to these as the lock cylinders are really crap.

The lock portion just plugs into the main harness on your bike. It's simple to swap them out.

The only slightly difficult thing is that the ignition is attached to your top triple with one way screws. These are made to go in and then purposely strip so they can't be easily backed out. It's a theft deterrent thing.

To get them out requires a tool that drills into them and then backs them out. The one I bought at Harbor Freight cost less than $10 and I've used it a half dozen times (my rule of thumb for HF tools is to buy them only if you expect to use them only once) so well worth the price.

If you bring an ignition to a locksmith without keys he can make you a set for less than $100.

Easy fix.
Bat I agree those eBay cylinders are trouble. I was stranded for a bit one evening when the steering lock jammed up. I had to use the tool kit and then zip tie the cylinder to the triple to get back to the shop.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.