Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Fuel pump wont prime

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Baugustine 
#1 ·
Hi. I recently bought an 07 rr from the police auction. It came with papers but no keys. I thought it should be alright and that I would just throw. Toggle switch h in for now until I have the time and money to replace the ignition. Cylinder. I can't seem to get it to start though. First I pulled the plug out of the ignition and. Crossed the wires. Everything turns on as normal but when I wish the start button it wont fire up. It's not the spark plugs or a fuse or a bAd relay. I believe it's the fuel pump. It doesn't make a noise when I turn. The bike on. I tested the pump though and it's good. Do you possibly k how anay other reason why my fuel pump wont prime? It's notthe ecu either. I was thinking maybe the bank angle censor since the owner before me laid it down but its upright now. Do I need to reset the bank angle sensor or something? Or could it be something with the ignition hotwire I'm missing? I'm brand new on this forum. I appreciate your time if yiu read this far. Let me know what you think please thanks again . Ride safe.

#8 ·
I've already installed a switch. I read somewhere else that it could possibly be a "zeneir diode" under the ignition? Apparently it drops the 12 volts from the ignition down to 9 volts into the ecu and unless the ecu reads 9v, it won't start. But read that there was a third "pink wire" somewhere, and the cable harness coming from the ignition only has 2 wires. Maybe I could just hook up the duel pump straight to the battery? Idk. It's my only means of transportation now so I'm grow desperate.

#10 · (Edited)
When you turn the key to the RUN position (With the kill switch on), the fuel pump should do a 2 sec prime to pressurize the system and the MIL should illuminate for 2 secs then go out if there are no DTCs stored. Does this happen? I do not have a wiring schematic in front of me but you need both battery feed, ignition feed (RUN position) and a start voltage for all things to happen in the ECM.

#11 ·
FYI, Zener diodes control voltage flow (direction), not voltage level. That would be a resistor.

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/zener-diode-basic-operation-and-applications

When you turn the key to the RUN position, the fuel pump should do a 2 sec prime to pressurize the system and the MIL should illuminate for 2 secs then go out if there are no DTCs stored in memory. Does this happen?

No. Zener diodes drop a fixed voltage across them. Honda uses a 3v zener to apply a 9v signal to the ecu as a security measure on some bikes.

You'll also find 6v zeners in some led headlight circuits as a means of dimming the lows when the highs are on. Zeners absolutely do change voltage. That's literally what they're for.

Secondly, if there are stored codes the MIL won't stay lit. It will only stay lit for active codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.