Harsh Handlebar Vibration - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Harsh Handlebar Vibration

Hey,

My problem is, when I accelerate I feel the vibration at around 20-40 and it gets worse as the speed increases.
Once I clutch in, and let the bike return to idle, its fine, rides perfectly smooth.
If i have it at 30ish, put it into neutral, no vibration. Rev it up and the vibrations come back, and get worse as the rpms increase.
Engine problems? Chain and Sproket?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Just checked, all the bolts seem to be tight, oil level is good, one weird thing though.
Bike was down before I bought it, i can tell cause the throttle side bar end is scraped. This handle bar also turns fully in the grip. Meaning i can tighten the bar end all the way, and still turn the bar end (turning the internal clip-on bar) freely all the way around.
This current vibration has just developed within the past few days however, and with over 1k miles on it since i bought it, I dont think the previous crash is the issue.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

So are you saying that it only occurs when the engine is “engaged” and your actual coasting speed doesn’t affect it?

Does it occur more on acceleration more or when you are holing a “maintenance” throttle?

sounds scarry for sure

Last edited by rockitfuel; 03-13-2007 at 02:58 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Does it sound like a washer is loose? I have that, it came out of no where.
Everytime I pass 5300RPM in low gears it makes a weird metal vibration noise.
But I'm too lazy to find out what it is....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Check your chain, and tire balance both can mean to things like that
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you remove the bar-end weights or switch them to aftermarket ones?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
Did you remove the bar-end weights or switch them to aftermarket ones?
+1

That was my question too.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

No, still stock ones, at least i think, they are the ones that came on he bike.

Vibration seems to be worst at 35-55, and around 5k rpm, seems like it gets worse at higher rpms
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I am having this same problem with my 03 RR....I just got it, it has 10k miles on it and it too was laid over. I know this is not a normal problem b/c my buddies 04 RR with 5K on it does not vibrate like this.....I am going to start with going over the motor to check to make sure all the mounts are tight, and then check valve clearance and throttle body sync, ignition and all the crap to make sure it all working well....I don't really know what else at this point.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
TBF - I'd start with the simple things first - a loose bar on the clip on would make it feel like hell, check the chain for proper slack and alignment, teeth are good on the sprockets, oil is relatively clean (my 03 gets rough on the hands when the oil starts getting a lil nasty) etc - I seriously doubt the engine mounts are at all loose (along with the rest listed above) or you'd see a lot more issues.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

mine shakes too, but im almost certain its because im missing the bar end weight on one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsMom View Post
Marvin! Where the hell is our son!
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=111004
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkinson3 View Post
TBF - I'd start with the simple things first - a loose bar on the clip on would make it feel like hell, check the chain for proper slack and alignment, teeth are good on the sprockets, oil is relatively clean (my 03 gets rough on the hands when the oil starts getting a lil nasty) etc - I seriously doubt the engine mounts are at all loose (along with the rest listed above) or you'd see a lot more issues.
Good advice from this man. you should listen. Also check your front tire for cupping and tire pressures.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

ok, as it stands I do have a missing bar end on the right side, I put a bolt in there to make sure things inside the clip on are not rattling around....I could not tell if it made a difference. Also while I was working on the bike I went after the slightly rough idle and synced the throttle bodies which smoothed it out....however when I was in there I noticed three things....

One the ram air tubes from the air box are MIA....wtf,

Then the air filter's paper media was cut out only leaving the screen...WTF?!!?,

Finally, the air funnels, AKA velocity stacks where missing...WTF?!?!?!?...so I am replacing all of that, getting bar ends and some nice gel grips...and we will see where that lands us...

The vib is related to engine RPM only, as it will vibrate sitting in neutral if I rev it to 5k.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 08-19-2008 at 10:23 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
ok, as it stands I do have a missing bar end on the right side, I put a bolt in there to make sure things inside the clip on are not rattling around....I could not tell if it made a difference. Also while I was working on the bike I went after the slightly rough idle and synced the throttle bodies which smoothed it out....however when I was in there I noticed three things....

One the ram air tubes from the air box are MIA....wtf,

Then the air filter's paper media was cut out only leaving the screen...WTF?!!?,

Finally, the air funnels, AKA velocity stacks where missing...WTF?!?!?!?...so I am replacing all of that, getting bar ends and some nice gel grips...and we will see where that lands us...

The vib is related to engine RPM only, as it will vibrate sitting in neutral if I rev it to 5k.
WHAT?! are you kidding me? dude, the guy you bought this from is an absolute retard. take care of the air filter and velocity stacks immediately. i would also put some fresh oil and filter in there cuz who knows when this asshat changed it last. better yet, just flush all fluids so you start from "0" (something I do on all used bikes I buy).

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz

Last edited by Dr. GoFast; 08-19-2008 at 11:11 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. GoFast View Post
WHAT?! are you kidding me? dude, the guy you bought this from is an absolute retard. take care of the air filter and velocity stacks immediately. i would also put some fresh oil and filter in there cuz who knows when this asshat changed it last. better yet, just flush all fluids so you start from "0" (something I do on all used bikes I buy).
Oh yeah, I know, lol. First thing I did was change the oil and filter. I usally do two oil/filter changes with in 2k miles when I first get a used bike to try and flush out any crap that may be in there....I plan on taking care of the coolent in the next week or so. Velocity stacks are installed. Air filter is on the way. My buddy had a set of stacks laying around so I got lucky there. Front suspension was set all the way hard on all setting and the forks are not even set at the same height....The problem with bikes is alot of moron kids own then and thrash them. I sorta knew this bikes was gonna have surprises when I got it so it does not shock me any. As soon as I get this motor/bar work done I am moving on to the Forks..New oil, bushings, sliders and seals. I am also going to freshin up the rear suspension as well.

Once the mech work is all done, she goes out for paint...white and black scheme....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Knee Dragger

Oi Vey bro - ya those missing bits will give you some good (really bad) vibrations lol - post up some pics when she's done
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Pocketbike Racer

....gets better....today, after the air filter was installed...the bike all of sudden seemed to be burning oil....it didn't do it when I bought it. It didn't do it after I changed it's oil, it didn't do it when I rode it for about 200 miles, and it didn't do it when I synced the throttle bodies...but today, it did...I am not sure if clamping off the PAIR valve hoses during the TB sync caused some oil to back up some where or something....I will have to get her all back together, ride it for a bit and see if it still is burning oil. If she is burning oil, I am gonna get rid of this bike ASAP. I don't feel like getting that deep into this thing....
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

yup, she burns oil in the upper RPM, my brother was behind me and caught a wiff of when we were pushing it hard....I don't want to dupe anyone else in the buying it, so I guess I will just rock it for now and stunt it out in a year or so when I planned on upping to an 07/08 600RR ne way. I hate when people sell you **** like that....hiding things that are wrong with a bike when you sell it is just wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page