Fuel pump not kickin on! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump not kickin on!

ill start off by telling a little bit about my bike its a stock 2006 cbr600rr i took all the fairings off to have it painted and after i took all the fairings off i rode it home by zip tying the head lights on the bike kept dying though so i finally got it home and let it sit for about a week i went out and started it and it ran fine another week later i started it again and it ran great then to the bike has 6800 miles on it and now just the other day i went out to start it right before i went to put the fairings on to make sure it still ran and it didnt start so i went ahead and put the fairings on the thing about it is that i didnt remove the bas when i took the fairings off and now in my guage cluster i used to get the FI light next to the oil light and all that but now it wont turn on i checked all the connections and moved the bas to see if that was the problem but it didnt help i also checked the fuses and they were fine! im about out of ideas i hope someone can help thanks alot in advance for your help i really appreciate it!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Are your headlights coming on??

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Damnit, gallery is still down. :(

ahahaha, I HOPE this isn't why, but if it is....then it would be REALLY funny.
Reconnect all of your plugs and give it another shot. Good luck.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Knee Dragger

Pain In Da Arss

well right now i'm having a similar problem... the bike will turn over but it will not start (due to the fuel pump not working).

the symptoms:
fuel pump not coming on
headlights not coming on
back light for cluster not coming on
power commander not powering up

what i have done:
checked all the fuses (all are good)
checked all the relays (all are good)
replaced the fuel pump (doesn't seem to be the problem)
checked all the wire connections again and again (all seem to be connected well)
Bypassed BAS sensor (no problems there)
i've even got desperate and removed my PCIII (just because it wasn't powering up either)

so far from reading the shop manual i think i've traced my problem back to the ECM.. Is this a common problem??
or is it something else that i don't know about??
Please any advice will help at this point...

and i know it's not the kill switch, it seems to be cutting the ignition like it should (ie, won't let the bike turn over in the off position)

Last edited by HighNoonHonda; 03-22-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM

Check the fuses behind the battery?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnride View Post
Check the fuses behind the battery?
Yeah, the MOST IMPORTANT 30A ONE?

if that fuse is blow, aint nothin' gonna work. sounds like the problem to moi.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Yeah, the MOST IMPORTANT 30A ONE?

if that fuse is blow, aint nothin' gonna work. sounds like the problem to moi.

I've checked ALL the fuses and relays!!!! on the left side, under the seat, and inbetween the headlights...

All the fuses and relays are good..
all the connections are tight...

But just for ya'll, i'll check again!

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Knee Dragger

so just for ya'll i checked all my fuses again.. including the 30a under the seat... again all of them are in good condition, i even swaped them out with new fuses with no avail....
I'm open for any more suggestions!

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
I have a similar problem but i have no answer for you yet either

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBuck View Post
I have a similar problem but i have no answer for you yet either
what are your symptoms??

hopefully i'll have this figured out by the weekend by using a friends 06' 600rr for a parts bike temporarily..

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Knightslugger

what about the fuel injection connection / fuse under the tank?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

switched out the fuel pump and nothing. I know the pump works just fine

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
what about the fuel injection connection / fuse under the tank?

Fuse under the tank??

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Knightslugger

i do belive there is one there. if i had access to my bike, i'd verify it.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

dont think there is. Have an 05 and an 03 right next to each other and nothing to do with a fuse.Even tried changing the fuel pump no help lots of spilled gas though :)

I have hot wired the pump and then tried to start...would crank but would not start...NO SPARK??? I HATE FI

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
dont think there is. Have an 05 and an 03 right next to each other and nothing to do with a fuse.Even tried changing the fuel pump no help lots of spilled gas though :)

I have hot wired the pump and then tried to start...would crank but would not start...NO SPARK??? I HATE FI

are you sure there is no spark.. did you place the spark plug against the block and verify it had no spark???

i know i'm getting spark because the bike fired up when it had fuel in the cylinders, but only fired up briefly untill the fuel lines ran dry...

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

i tell you what this is a pain i will check that tonight

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
i tell you what this is a pain i will check that tonight

i would try some simpler things first... if you have access to another 600rr, try swaping the relays, then the ECU (little computer ontop of the airbox), the BAS in betweent the headlights, and even the instrument cluster.
so try that before you have to pull your plugs. and let me know if any of that fixes anything...

i've done all but the ECU and the cluster. so as soon as i can get "TheRealRyanRay" over to my place with his bike i'm hoping that one of these will solve my problem, unless it's my harness. So someone correct me if i'm wrong, but thats the generalization of my possible problems...

i agree HUGE PAIN!!

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I know you said you CHECKED the relays. But here me out.
Go and spend the $3.21 on new relay. swap it out with the one on the left hand side of the bike, in the front (so if you are standing on the clutch side of bike it will be the left relay)

This Relay powers several parts of your fuel delivery system. ON my race bike last year, the bike would die and sutter on the track but nothing I could find (even with the mulitmeter) came up bad. Finally I broke down, and just as I was about to buy the relay, I bought a crashed bike to turn around and sell as a TD bike. So I started checking parts...

I now carry 3 relays in my trailer.

plus it is only 3 bucks and will take 30 seconds to try.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

i have another bike that will work (right next to the one that wont) with the switched relays. I think i may have pinched a wire when i replaced the stator cover( i thought that the bike worked after i did this but i think it might have been the day before that mod that it worked???)

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain View Post
I know you said you CHECKED the relays. But here me out.
Go and spend the $3.21 on new relay. swap it out with the one on the left hand side of the bike, in the front (so if you are standing on the clutch side of bike it will be the left relay)

This Relay powers several parts of your fuel delivery system. ON my race bike last year, the bike would die and sutter on the track but nothing I could find (even with the mulitmeter) came up bad. Finally I broke down, and just as I was about to buy the relay, I bought a crashed bike to turn around and sell as a TD bike. So I started checking parts...

I now carry 3 relays in my trailer.

plus it is only 3 bucks and will take 30 seconds to try.
i have already swapped out the relays with known good ones (i know becaust the bike they came off of still works!!)
but thanks for the suggestion

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

I just second day aired a harness so we will see it that is my issue. this is such a puzzling situation

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Knee Dragger

?? tell me about it... i'm sitting at home waiting for my friend to come over... damn i'll kick myself if its the BAS... i tried bypassing it once already with no results... now i just need to replace it all together..

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNoonHonda View Post
?? tell me about it... i'm sitting at home waiting for my friend to come over... damn i'll kick myself if its the BAS... i tried bypassing it once already with no results... now i just need to replace it all together..
If bypassing it didn't work, then the BAS is fine. Did you reset it?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
If bypassing it didn't work, then the BAS is fine. Did you reset it?
i don't know if we bypassed it correctly the first time...

so today i went over my bike with a multimeter and the service manual.. i wasn't getting power to the ECM and i wasn't getting any injector pulse.. so we ended up jumping the engine stop relay, eureka she fired up.... at first my reaction was "damn relay", but as i said ealier we replace all the relays with good ones.... so this is what i'm lead to think, either i'm a complete JackAss and i need to get another relay (which i'm doing regardless), or i have a bad ignition and that needs to be replaced...

i talked to a master mechanic last night and he said the ignition could be a possible source of the problem"that it's not that uncommon"

so BrowningBuck, i suggest you try jumping the engine stop relay as well and see if your bike will kick on...

it is the relay under the left side plastic, where there is the group of three.. looking at the bike from that side, it should be the relay farthest to the right... take the relay off the connector... now use a piece of wire to jump the connector directly..
when your looking at that connector as it would normally sit, you want to plug the one end of the wire into the top left and the other end into the bottom left of the connector....
i might be wrong about wether it's the right two or left two, it's pretty easy to figure out, if you don't hear the fuel pump kick on immediatly then switch to the other side... but make sure the wire is in the top and bottom to one side or the other, NOT criss-crossed..

if this gets your bike started then you are down to the same two problems as me.. you don't need to have the ignition on when you jump the relay, you should hear the pump kick on even if you have the ignition off.. you will, how ever, need to turn the ignition on to allow the starter to turn the engine over..

Good luck!

Last edited by HighNoonHonda; 03-29-2007 at 08:24 PM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Knee Dragger

i have gremlins in my bike i tell you!!!
so i got a hold of a new relay late last night and pluged it into my bike... low and be hold, she fired right up.. but then i thought to myself, " wouldn't it be a SOB if my supposed bad relay worked too". curiosity got the better of me, so i pluged it in... My bike fired right up...

so GREMLINS i tell you!!!!

i'm thinking i just need to drop my beast off at a friends property and use her as a target!!!

but now she is running fine... i got up early this morning and abused the hell out of her trying to get any problems to shake out... Maybe i have a loose connection in the harness?? I don't know, i'm just glad she's running again after a month of working on her!!!

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

ahhh i am so mad i could spit right now, the UPS 2nd day aired harness i ordered is delayed in F ing Vegas. I will try what you recommended but we will see. I think it is to the point that still wouldnt be able to race this weekend but it is worth a try. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i want to burn this thing to the ground

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM

I have the same problem still !!! except I got the head lights to come on.
I really need to figure this out - just sent it to the dealer ($215) later, and a replaced cam position sensor (didn't work - $40) and back to the starting point.

Quote:

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
ahhh i am so mad i could spit right now, the UPS 2nd day aired harness i ordered is delayed in F ing Vegas. I will try what you recommended but we will see. I think it is to the point that still wouldnt be able to race this weekend but it is worth a try. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i want to burn this thing to the ground
I am soo with you dude - I"m trying to race my self and I just watched the first weekend go bye bye. I've tried everything on this thread ( i think ) and still nothing. I've jumpered the relay, got the fuel pump turned on, and it still just turns over and over... no fuel, no spark. (the dealer told me they checked all the main stuff and still no spark) I've swapped harnesses, and everything too. I also have a spare bike right next to it, and have spent many many hours on it. I've had the smart guy over with the electric meter thing, and i'm stuck still... i think i'm gonna put an add up - $100 reward to who ever gets it going... I'm near seattle washington btw - in case anyone wants to give it a shot :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page