Odometer rollback? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Odometer rollback?

Here's the deal, I bought a bike at a salvage place to rebuild. When i got it the gauge cluster was broke and the only working thing was the odometer, which read right around 12900. My buddy gave me a set of gauges and they're readying 23k, and I need to know how to roll these back to where they should be. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This place can do it:
http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well i was l;ooking to do it myself, but i may consider them. thanks

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

How do they do this? Are they hacking a chip on the board? Or is this some plug-in honda thing?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespike2 View Post
How do they do this? Are they hacking a chip on the board? Or is this some plug-in honda thing?
I honestly don't know. It's a digital odometer, so it's not gonna be as simple as cracking it open and rolling it back. I assume they have a device to hook up to it that can reprogram it with a different mileage or something.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespike2 View Post
I would say the latter.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well, i know on the 636's you can use a 9v battery and roll and miles off. anyone know a trick like this?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastik Monkey View Post
well, i know on the 636's you can use a 9v battery and roll and miles off. anyone know a trick like this?
My dog does tricks...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM

The legal way of taking care of this is to get a statement from the DMV showing actual miles, versus what the new cluster shows. Manipulation of an ODO is not legal in many municipalities, paid service, or done by yourself. Check with your local DMV before you spend your cash on such a service. If it's legal, there, go for it, just be aware.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Knee Dragger

im curious in knowing what a 9v battery has that can rollback miles
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM

probably the voltage or amperage that sends a signal to reverse the miles.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

I believe it is an eeprom on the board that stores the miles(Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory).

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

"The proper gear can make the last guy finish first!"

"I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on Ebay."

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

so any electronics geniuses want to take a look and figure out how to roll back miles? or how to erase and put some back on?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
ill do it any one wants to spare me the gauges i am already down two due to R&D for the gear indicator

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex View Post
The legal way of taking care of this is to get a statement from the DMV showing actual miles, versus what the new cluster shows. Manipulation of an ODO is not legal in many municipalities, paid service, or done by yourself. Check with your local DMV before you spend your cash on such a service. If it's legal, there, go for it, just be aware.
You are absolutely right..In fact it is a federal offense
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well, for those of us who re doing it for legit purposes, anyone know how to adjust?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastik Monkey View Post
well, for those of us who re doing it for legit purposes, anyone know how to adjust?
so would changing to gauges to show lower miles be illegal? what about gauges with lower miles and rolling it up to show more miles. any way you look at it you cant get caught if your trying to be legit about it all the dmv knows it the miles when the title is transfered and maybe when the tags are renewed.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooper41 View Post
so would changing to gauges to show lower miles be illegal? what about gauges with lower miles and rolling it up to show more miles. any way you look at it you cant get caught if your trying to be legit about it all the dmv knows it the miles when the title is transfered and maybe when the tags are renewed.
exactly, the only time you'll get caught is if you're trying to screw someone over
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

anyone take a whack at this?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Training Wheel Hero

it would be eeprom, and you cannot "roll back" the mileage by adding a voltage. You would need to erase the entire eeprom first and then you can reprogram it with whatever value you want. Youd first need to find out how the data is stored by reading from the eeprom before doing anything...
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM

Lightbulb

I'm not sure how bike odometers work since I've only owned a bike for about 2 weeks now. but If its anything like a car odometer then its not the hard.

if its like a car odometer this method will work...I've done this on cars that I sold after putting brand new crate motors and completly restoring the car.

-first your going to need to go buy a cheap power drill, one that you wouldn't give a rats ass if the motor burned out(cause it usually does)
-second find a bit the fill fit just loose in the end of the mileage cable hole of the back of the odometer...it has to be loose enough were you can put a layer or two of duct tape on it and still be able to stick it in there...
-third stick to bit in the hole in the back of the odometer and makes sure it is extremely snug
-four set up a stand of anytime that will hold the drill and the odometer in place...and when I say hold in place I mean sterdier than a rock. the way I've done it was I made a wooden frame that the actual holding place could be moved around to fit the cluter and the drill and the held in place by C-clamps.
-fifth and final step is after setting up everything and your ready to go put the drill in reverse and tape the trigger down so the drill keeps going, because this takes a long time to do, its cheap and easy, but it takes about 1 day for 1000 miles and about 1 week for 10000 miles, but you always want to check out in at least 5,6 times a day.

and it that does work for bikes.....well I guess you have the method for turning back car odometers now....
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

yeah, i've seen people do that on older cars, but bikes and newer cars are all electronic
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntouge View Post
I'm not sure how bike odometers work since I've only owned a bike for about 2 weeks now. but If its anything like a car odometer then its not the hard.

if its like a car odometer this method will work...I've done this on cars that I sold after putting brand new crate motors and completly restoring the car.

-first your going to need to go buy a cheap power drill, one that you wouldn't give a rats ass if the motor burned out(cause it usually does)
-second find a bit the fill fit just loose in the end of the mileage cable hole of the back of the odometer...it has to be loose enough were you can put a layer or two of duct tape on it and still be able to stick it in there...
-third stick to bit in the hole in the back of the odometer and makes sure it is extremely snug
-four set up a stand of anytime that will hold the drill and the odometer in place...and when I say hold in place I mean sterdier than a rock. the way I've done it was I made a wooden frame that the actual holding place could be moved around to fit the cluter and the drill and the held in place by C-clamps.
-fifth and final step is after setting up everything and your ready to go put the drill in reverse and tape the trigger down so the drill keeps going, because this takes a long time to do, its cheap and easy, but it takes about 1 day for 1000 miles and about 1 week for 10000 miles, but you always want to check out in at least 5,6 times a day.

and it that does work for bikes.....well I guess you have the method for turning back car odometers now....
Hell yeah! That totally works on my car. I mean, sure, it's from 1972, but that's almost current...

That worked back in the day when it was a physical link and going in reverse took off mileage. This hasn't worked on any car built in the last couple decades. Computers have "the science" in them and prevent stuff like this.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

so that leaves us back to where we started? is there a way to erase the memory and just fine a way to put the mileage back on?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

found a place that'll do it for 50 bucks, but i'll bet i won't have gauges for a month......
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 AM

I had to get a new gauge cluster under warranty a few weeks ago and asked the dealership about this. They said they had no idea and were not allowed to do it. So my new cluster had 0 miles.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

anyone know how to atleast add mileage? can i just feed voltage to a wire and have the milage increase?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM

i thought the odo stroed the milage in the bikes computer. did you replace that when you did the rebuild?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

nope, stored in the cluster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page