running hott - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
running hott

Okay my bikes sat all winter and I start it up and go for a ride it is running at 190 going at 70 mph on a 60 degree day so I head home. I notice im out of antifreeze so I fill it up. And start it and let it idle and it gets up to 221 when the fan always kicks on. I shut it off and let it cool down. I come back later and drive it across town maybe 2 miles and it gets up to 220ish and its only 50 degress out. What is wrong with my bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Even on a cool day riding in traffic will cause the bike to get hot. As long as the fan comes on ~220 and it controls the temp (i.e. doesn't get much hotter and does cool down eventually) then it's ok. However if it is getting hot and staying hot even at highway speeds then I'd say there is a problem.

Assuming there are no obvious leaks then I'd say it's possible there is air in the cooling system. I'd make sure both the radiator and overflow tank are filled and then burp the system to make sure there is no air bubbles.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM

220 is normal. dont worry unless it hits like 240.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 I used to see 130 now and then on my (04) 600RR.

On the 07 I haven't really payed attention...

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Even on a cool day riding in traffic will cause the bike to get hot. As long as the fan comes on ~220 and it controls the temp (i.e. doesn't get much hotter and does cool down eventually) then it's ok. However if it is getting hot and staying hot even at highway speeds then I'd say there is a problem.

Assuming there are no obvious leaks then I'd say it's possible there is air in the cooling system. I'd make sure both the radiator and overflow tank are filled and then burp the system to make sure there is no air bubbles.
How would I burp it? Yea it runes at 190 on the highway witch I thought is really werid. Maybe last year I just over looked how warm it was.gabe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Do a full radiator flush pretty easy

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

How do I go about doing that?? Or would it be easier to take it to a local dealer with all the plastics off so they cant charge me off work to take them off?gabe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
DO not go to a dealer to do a flush i m sure there is a thread on how to on here. REAL basic. i might have to do a write up on it if there isnt one

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

There is a write up how to do it in the Maintance Section It's a sticky! check it out tells you exactly what to do!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My bike gets very hot everytime that I ride it. My temp be in the 230's in traffic. I got to 240 Yesterday. I have flushed my radiator, aslo I'm running distilled water w/ water wetter only. I have an 03. Last year I kept having problems after a long ride and my bike would be very hot. If I would stop for some gas then it wouldn't start back w/ only being off for a few minutes. So I took it to the dealer and requested that they put an 05 rectifier on it instead of the 03. because I think that the 03 retifiier doesn't have heat shield. I thought that would help my heat problem. I just going to put a switch on my fan so that I could turn it on before 220. And get so Engine Ice and see how that work for now. I just seen that WW has a 64oz coolant that doesn't require you to add water. It's already mixed, bottled and ready to go just like Engine Ice.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Rode today and it seemed to solve its self hm funny how some thing work out that way.thanks gabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page