VFX Integrated Tail - doesn't "remember" settings - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VFX Integrated Tail - doesn't "remember" settings

I just got and installed the VFX integrated tail. its a really nice peice, the instructions were great and everything is very clear.

I installed the tail, and everything appeared to be working.

When i attempted to program the different tail blinking sequences, I referenced the Flow Chart included with the kit. I understood everything, followed the sequence, then when I went to turn the switch off, at the end of the sequence, the tail blinked to confirm the programming is complete.

Everything works then, UNTIL I TURN OFF THE IGNITION, at which point the default sequences are propaged back into memory. This is confirmed when I turn the bike back on and flip the switch to see the animation I just programmed. Instead I see the DEFAULT anime.

I spoke to VFX, and did the test with them on the phone. They told me to send it back in exchange for a new one.

Before I do that, perhaps someone can spot something I'm doing wrong, something that has to be done "not by the book" (ie flowchart)

if you have experience with this kit, please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry... Cant help but lets see some pictures when you get it sorted out!

I'm never wrong. I once thought I was wrong, turns out, I was mistaken.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Does it need constant power to keep the "memory" active? Maybe you have the constant power plugged into the ignition, so everytime you shut off the ignition, it wipes what you saved in memory.

Kinda like car stereo, whenever the battery is unplugged, you lose your station presets.

Dunnno, stab in the dark

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah, that sounds like you're lacking a memory power wire. i have no clue as i've never installed these tail lights
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks guys - good theory, I also proposed it to the tech on the phone ( I was surprized he didn't suggest it first ).

However, there is no memory power wire. The tail is a standalone unit and all the circuitry & memory mechanisms (eProm or ROM chips.. whatever) are internal. Those chips DO NOT require constant power to maintain memory storage (non-volatile memory)

Those of you who ever had experience with DIY standalone engine management ( Uberdata, Crome ) will know exactly what I'm talking about.

For those who are still not convinced, currently the tail is hooked up to CONSTANT POWER (non-ignition dependant). This is the default wiring scheme so you can enable the animations via switches even with the ignition in the OFF position.

Nevertheless, the tail won't remember the settings. I tried again last night - no success.

PS. The unit is overall excellent quality and the animations are fantastic. I think I'll post a video when I'm done. In the mean time you can check out some of the animes. here:

http://www.vfxkits.com/c216178.2.html

Last edited by nto2slo128; 04-17-2007 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

hello? anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page