Weird idle... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird idle...

So the other day my bikes rpms started to jump from like 1k to 2k when idling.
Doesn't matter if in N or 1st at a light.
I went to honda they said they had a bike in the shop now getting new motor b\c they used 86 oct fuel and was from same problem im having.
said the injectors are gettin carbarated or something to that effect.
Also honda guys said that guy's bike is not cover under warranty b\c it says to use 93 oct. in the owners manual.
I don't have my manual anymore but I thought it said to use 86 or higher.
So this just isn't making sense to me.
Should I start using higher octane?
Or could this problem be air filter.
some thoughts please.
Crom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 PM

def. not the gas or the air filter. its possible that the gas is "bad" but more likely than not you have a clog in the fuel filter or fuel lines. take a peak inside your tank and check the lines, filter, and pump.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tell them they are idiots because it says to use 86

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftn3rdon1 View Post
Tell them they are idiots because it says to use 86
Actually... My manual says 91 Octane. I couldn't possibly see 93 being required though. The highest Ive commonly seen is 92, which is only offered by Fina and not available in all areas. Unless you're getting race gas?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Actually... My manual says 91 Octane. I couldn't possibly see 93 being required though. The highest Ive commonly seen is 92, which is only offered by Fina and not available in all areas. Unless you're getting race gas?
and that's because you're not from North America... and in North America there is 87, 89, and 91 PON. in most other parts of the world, it's 91+ RON (Which is the same as 87 PON).

An 86 RON would definitely cause massive premature detonation in every cylinder on every compression stroke and would ruin a motor.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 04-24-2007 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
and that's because you're not from North America... and in North America there is 87, 89, and 91 PON. in most other parts of the world, it's 91+ RON (Which is the same as 87 PON).

An 86 RON would definitely cause massive premature detonation in every cylinder on every compression stroke and would ruin a motor.

Actually I am from North America. I'm originally from Texas and currently living in Arizona. I use 91 all the time, especially here in AZ because of the detonation 86 causes. Although, I'm fairly certain the manual says to use 91..but ill check when I get home just to make sure I'm not pulling that out of my ass :-)

Last edited by Flipper; 04-24-2007 at 11:55 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Knightslugger

If your manual says 91, you're reading a EU manual. the NA Manual says 86 or higher. however the higher ambiant temperatures in Arizona may increase the chances for Premature Detonation (not detonation as that's quite sought after in any internal combustion engine) and depending on the circumstances a higher Octane would be better. however if the engine is running at normal operating temperatures (<100*C) 89 is as high as you'd need it. but it'll still run with 91. hell it'll run on 103, it'll just be a pig...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
If your manual says 91, you're reading a EU manual. the NA Manual says 86 or higher. however the higher ambiant temperatures in Arizona may increase the chances for Premature Detonation (not detonation as that's quite sought after in any internal combustion engine) and depending on the circumstances a higher Octane would be better. however if the engine is running at normal operating temperatures (<100*C) 89 is as high as you'd need it. but it'll still run with 91. hell it'll run on 103, it'll just be a pig...
Yeah I meant premature detonation, I refer to it as detonation though. I'll check my manual cause if I can get away with 89, with gas prices as they are I'd prefer that lol. Thanks for pointing out the differences in manuals. Maybe my bike was shipped with the wrong one.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have never seen 86 sold anywhere i have been up and down the west coast and a few states in and its always 87/89/91 and i herd they have 93 places out east. anyways even in AZ the engine shouldnt have any problems on 87 i run it in my bike all the time and have taken it out the desert without any problems at all.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooper41 View Post
i have never seen 86 sold anywhere i have been up and down the west coast and a few states in and its always 87/89/91 and i herd they have 93 places out east. anyways even in AZ the engine shouldnt have any problems on 87 i run it in my bike all the time and have taken it out the desert without any problems at all.
85/86 is found in higher elevations due to the thin air. the lack of atmospheric pressure that is found at high alt. lowers the CR in the engine, therefor an easier burning fuel is required.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

alright cool thx..
it was funny how the honda guys were goin on and on about how that guys bike isn't covered under warranty b\c he used wrong gas...
ill check the filters and lines.
thx again
Crom
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't know if it was 86 or not, I was referring to what ever "Regular" is up here in WI

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftn3rdon1 View Post
I don't know if it was 86 or not, I was referring to what ever "Regular" is up here in WI
prob 87 and thats what the bike takes
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Those guys from the Honda shop must have really bad breath cause it sounds like they're talking out of their asses. Sounds like a hot steaming pile of bs to me.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooper41 View Post
prob 87 and thats what the bike takes
it is.

damn 10 character limit...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

My bike idles like that when it's cold ever since I put the Two Bros and the PCIII on. Once it warms up, it runs fine.

CBR RIDERS FOR LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page