Not your average starting problem? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not your average starting problem?

Hey everyone,

I've got an '05 600RR, and it's been running fine until this morning. I've been planning on selling it (to get the '07), and so I removed the tail fairing to fix a scratch on it. This morning, I try to start the bike...

And nothing. Before I started it, I wanted to make sure I wired the rear indicators correctly so I turned them on, and when the wires were connected the bulb just stayed lit. No flashing or anything, just 'on'. So, I sensed something weird, and I tried starting it. It turns over fine, but that's it. The fuel pump's not priming. So I spent a few hours doing the following:

1) Made sure I wasn't winning any idiocy awards and checked the starter button.

2) Checked all fuses (side, rear, etc., including the 20A one near the main 30A fuse). They're all good.

3) Charged up the battery, and also tried to jump start it (I have a jump-starter), but to no avail.

4) Checked the BAS

5) Checked the relays - and then...

I read on another post by HighNoonHonda, who was having the same problems. His recommendation was to jump the engine-stop relay. I did, and it worked. However, my headlights still don't work (tail is fine), and the indicators don't come on (not even the lights on the instrument cluster). Also, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is with the relay. Does it need to be changed out? Can I test the fan relay on it? (Sorry if that's a retarded question). The engine stop switch still functions (as in it doesn't let the bike turn over when in the 'off' position.

If anybody has any ideas on what to do, I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks a lot in advance for your time...

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by nkumar; 04-20-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Still not running...

Okay, so I switched the relays with those of another CBR 600RR. Still nothing. I'm really up the proverbial creek here - I'm trying to sell the bike and someone wants to come see it today. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Neel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 AM

have you followed all the wires that lead to the tail? When I pulled all the fairings off to have them painted, during reassembly I pinch the wire for my right blinker and same prob, no lights in weird places and the bike wouldn`t start. But hey you ground such a short line and it is bound to kill power all over. Honda is great for having the least amount of relays and as many functions on each as possible. hope it helps

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks brother. I didn't check that. What do you mean exactly by pinching the lines? One of the indicator wires may have been bare (exposed). But now the indicators at the rear work, as well as the tail light. Are you saying I should check if anything is accidentally grounded? Thanks a lot for your help.

Neel
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Dammit. Found out what it was. When I removed the tailpiece, the indicator wires shorted. Normally, the fuse would blow. However, some idiot at the Honda here used a 15A fuse in a 10A fuse slot. So, no detectable blown fuse. Tried everything under the sun. There's a little yellow box on the left of the bike on the frame between the tank and the tail. It's close to the battery. I think that's where the wires are earthed (?) So, checked that - it had burnt. I shorted the two wires together, and voila. She's alive. Stupid mistake. Anyway, at least the problem's solved. The buyer showed up about an hour and a half later. Nuff time to slap the fairings back on and clean her up. Hopefully, should be riding an '07 RR (blue - Euro spec.) by the week's end. Thanks for your help DD81.

Neel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM

glad to hear you got the problem fixed. good luck selling.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mate. Already sold it just under a week ago, and got me a spankin Euro blue '07RR. It's bloody amazing.... :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page