Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Speedometer not working

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  HondaRider4Life 
#1 ·
Ok so here's what i got...

Tuesday of last week, speedo stopped working, first could reset by turning off ignition and would work for a little bit, then quit all together. Was in lansing, so on friday I rode the bike back to my parents house to work on it..

Speedometer started working about 20 miles from home, tore bike apart last night anyway to check wiring, everything seemed fine, so went out for a ride late last night and it quit about 2 miles from parents house.

This morning here is what i have...

+12v power from battery to speedometer (checked at bottom side of vss (vehicle speed sensor) connector (black = +12v, green = ground, pink = signal)

I have a constant +5v signal from the pink wire to ground(back side of the vss connector) and i have continuity all the way up to the dash in the pink wire, so I know it's all connected.

There is no short to ground from pink wire to green, and the signal voltage (+5v) never drops to zero like it's supposed to. SO i think I need a new sensor.

Question: Does the gauge cluster emit the +5v which is then pulled to ground at the sensor (what i have is steady +5v) or should the constant voltage be 0v and then a 5v pulse is generated by the sensor??? (Me thinks not?)

Also, if I rotate tire I do not get a +5v pulse to 0v like i did last night, it's just a constant +5v....

so what i'm thinking is I need a new sensor, which is about 60 bucks from ron ayers... anyone with any advice is welcome...

Discuss.....

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's the same pink wire, that is for your fuel injection... Check your connection in the back of the cluster first. Look at the pins in the back of the cluster, might be dirty, maybe put some dielectric on them to make a good connection. T

#4 ·
trip, there's 2 pink wires back by the harnesses under the tank, one for FI, and one that comes out of the 3pin connector for the vss... upfront under the cluster the speedo sensor wire is pink and green...

I didn't have a small magnet handy to test the sensor, I guess what i'm really asking is the baseline voltage supposed to be 0v, or 5v? I know it pulses between the two, but mine seems to be stuck at +5V, so is that stuck open or closed?

#5 ·
I have my track bike apart, if you want me to find out the voltage of the pink/green let me know... T

#7 ·
I read my pink/green with the bike on/off.. It fluctuates in mV. Do I need to move the rear tire to get it up to 5V???

#8 ·
sounds to me like thats the case, the sensor should "pulse" that is, when it activates it should go up to 5v and then when it deactivates, drop to 0v... is it the pink/green wire on one and the green wire / chassis ground on the other that you are reading? that would mean to me that the sensor is stuck closed, I've ordered a new one so I guess I'm going to find out either way. I doubt it's a cluster side problem though...

Thanks for your help!

#9 ·
Correct, pink/green and ground.. Good luck. T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.