Mysterious Engine problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mysterious Engine problem

Started my bike up like I always do, let it warm up, came to the first stopsign and the engine dies. I try and start it and it won't crank. I was late to school so I tried to bump it for the hell of it and it started fine and lasted all the way here.

Wondering: Possible causes?

My current guess is that the clutch isn't done up right... like it stalled the motor and won't disengage all the way... Doesn't really seem like an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Knightslugger

loose battery cables. renew the connections.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I checked those after the last track day... They're fine.

Besides, the power to the gauges never went out, so that's why I'm thinking it's not a battery issue.

I used to have an old FZR so that's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
I checked those after the last track day... They're fine.

Besides, the power to the gauges never went out, so that's why I'm thinking it's not a battery issue.

I used to have an old FZR so that's the first thing that came to my mind as well.
so if the power to the gauges never went out, did it attempt to start at all? Clicks on the solenoid?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Oo, I see wut you're saying. No clicks @ the solenoid, it sounded like it was legitimately trying to start, the engine just wouldn't turn over.

When I bumped it, it started immediately and ran fine thereafter. Has me really weirded out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Even if it was a clutch disengagement problem it would try to crank if you had juice, it would lunge a but on the starter. If it's the clutch/starter interlock switch that's bad it won't turn over in gear with the clutch disengaged, but you can still bump it. You could also start it in your garage in neutral. That still doesn't explain it dying. Could you have tapped the kickstand when you came to that stop sign? Check the clutch interlock switch and associated connections.

*Edit: Check the voltage in your batt. Ignore the interlock thing, I didn't know it tried to crank.

Last edited by DiZmAc; 05-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Knightslugger

weak or open battery is my guess, but we wont know until you have it tested. an open battery would supply very low amperage (to say the dash and fuel pump) but when you apply a large draw it separates internally and creates an open circuit. charge it and have it tested at your earliest continence. if it was a clutch problem, it would happen every time, not just once. i'm about 98% it's electrical.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Awwwww, I hate electrical. I havn't done **** to the bike in terms of electrical either... Well, other than plug and play stuff.

Just checking, how long do the batts for our bikes last? They're fekkin expensive, I know that.

My voltmeter is blown to ****, but I'll take it to get the thing load tested later today...

Thanks for the input guys. :(
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
Awwwww, I hate electrical. I havn't done **** to the bike in terms of electrical either... Well, other than plug and play stuff.

Just checking, how long do the batts for our bikes last? They're fekkin expensive, I know that.

My voltmeter is blown to ****, but I'll take it to get the thing load tested later today...

Thanks for the input guys. :(
A battery kept in good maintenance should last over 5 years. replacements aren't that expensive. i think MoeMan got a replacement battery for... was it $80? $70 maybe? i donno. it wasn't a honda OEM Yuasa battery to be sure. no matter really... 12v is 12v. do a search for cheap battery and you should hit some of his posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Knightslugger

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I get the battery for dealer cost, it's not really an issue I guess. I maintain my bike religiously, so things like this really bug me.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

What's the chance that the engine could have flooded? Now that I think about it, the sound of it trying to start after it stalled was a lot like a flooded motor.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Flooding generally only happens on a carbueted bike. It would have to be cranked over a number of times without firing to get flooded out. It's possible to flood an injected bike but very unlikely.

Just get a voltmeter on your battery so you can get a new one or rule it out as the problem. Sometimes new batteries aren't properly charged when you buy them. If the battery is low and you get a new one keep an eye on it for a bit because this could end up being a charging system problem.

Last edited by DiZmAc; 05-08-2007 at 10:34 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiZmAc View Post
Flooding generally only happens on a carbueted bike. It would have to be cranked over a number of times without firing to get flooded out. It's possible to flood an injected bike but very unlikely.

Just get a voltmeter on your battery so you can get a new one or rule it out as the problem. Sometimes new batteries aren't properly charged when you buy them. If the battery is low and you get a new one keep an eye on it for a bit because this could end up being a charging system problem.
Battery is still good... says the load test. I need to get some batteries for my volt meter... I've had charging system problems on bikes in the past but this didn't feel like the same thing...

I rode the bike a lot last week, and it never did it again... Which makes me even more paranoid. I don't wanna just ignore this kind of thing in the hopes that it was just a one time thing...

Appreciating the input. Any other suggestions as to what it could be?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM

kickstand sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page