Engine Noise - not tank cover - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Noise - not tank cover

I've read a few threads about this problem, so don't kill me for starting a new thread without doing my homework. I have a few new details to add, and the "rules" said I should start my own thread.
I have an 03 racebike - no charcoal cannister, kickstand or tip over switch, full yosh exhast, rear sets, revalved forks, and every useless bit of plastic removed. Oh, and lighter bars end that make the handlebars vibrate. And 3 sets of body work (trust me when I say the noise is not from the bodywork).
Actual miles probably 10,000 or so - don't know as I'm on my 3rd instrument cluster due to crashes (5 in total).

Symptoms:
Increased engine noise, sounding like a loose chain or something.
Noise is ABSENT below 5000rpm.
Once I reach 5000, noise starts and will continue on all revs
Noise will also continue if revs drop below 5000 to 3500 rpm
Once revs drop below 3500rpm, the noise disappears.

I've read plenty of threads that deal with the same noise, but none state that the noise starts and stops with rpm range. Mine does. Actually, if I rev up over 5000, then slow down so I'm at 4000, the noise with be there. THEN, if I pull in the clutch so the revs drop, then pop the clutch back out, the noise with vanish, even though my bike is still at the same rpm.

This is a detailed explanation, mainly because I've been fighting it for years. It's a noisy bike, and I don't think it should be - much noisier than other hondas.

I have adjusted valve clearance, new chain, good oil (Mobil 1 10-30) and always service my bike. Noise is definately engine, not bodywork/fork/etc.

Anyone have ANY idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
How about the cam chain tensioner do u still have the oem
one or have u switched to the manual kind

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I still have the stock cam chain tensioner.

two of the other threads said they fixed that, and the noise still existed. One guy replaced the chain on his oil pump, and the noise still existed (and the chain was still loose).

I guess I was wondering if other people had the exact same noise, that disappeared and came back according to the rpms.

BUT, I think I'm going to change the cam chain tensioner anyway. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page