03 race fairing fitting - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 race fairing fitting

I bought some race fairings for a 4 day track event in Spain. I've fitted them all ok-ish, although the upper fairing cracked slightly in one place. I've had to bend and stretch and cut bits off all over the place to get it to fit. Easiest was the belly pan which went on easy if I did the left side first, and wouldn't go on at all if I did the right side first.

I had to glue a chunk of wood into the nose to screw a box of electrics that normally screws into the headlight assembly onto, and I have a nest of cables sliding around the nose cone as well. They too normally attach to the headlight unit. I haven't started fitting the screen yet, but I think that should be quite easy. I also want to fit crash bungs, but the instructions say to loosen the nut on the far side of the forward engine bolt and I can't for the life of me figure out how when I only have three inches of space if that and the sodding thing is stuck fast.

Now I'm stuck on the seat/tail section. The street fairings have 3 pieces to the one single race fiaring bit. I have two issues with this piece.

Firstly there is no padded seat or anything, and it won't fit because of the hooks and suchlike to attach the original seat (I think). In any case the only option I can see is to cut away a huge chunk in the middle of the fairing to allow the original seat to fasten down the same way as it does with the street fairing. Which begs the question, why did they put fibreglass in that section of the fairing, and then bother to reinforce it too, if it ought to be cut away?

The second issue is that the darn thing won't fit. Under where the "passenger seat", which removes with the race fairings and so has all sorts of hooks and lock and stuff, is a black plastic tray. The fairing curves well under where this tray is and the tray is wide as well. I can't slide the fairing on under/around the tray because of other bits sticking out in various places - it just won't fit. I can't flex the fairing out and round to clip round because it's just too wide. The street fairing was a struggle to get off, and it's almost completely open underneath. So my only option looks to be to cut off the side wings on the underside of the fairing. Another big modification that makes me wonder if there isn't a reason for why the fairing is the shape it is. Also it almost looks as if the black plastic tray should be removable.

The whole project has taken me two and a half days so far and time is running out. I've still got to clean, undercoat, allow 24 hours drying, and then paint the damn thing, and I've only got until Tuesday off work. It's going to be very close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok i think i can help u out or give u advice with a few things here as i just installed some 03-04 fairings on my bike. All those wires that are just daingling in the fron need to be secured. When i did this i just tie wrapped everything neatly to the fairing stay. the wires are still visible but they arent just daingling all over the place. Now on the issue of the seat u might have a superbike tail which then u will need to get some foam paddign and make your own seat that just glues onto it. Some brands of body work will give you the option to use the stock seat or to use a custom seat pad. Most hardcore racers will have the seat pad. Lastly the issue with that black tray that goes under the passanger seat is that you HAVE TO cut it to make it fit. I know a lot of people that had to cut it. i dont know if there is any other way around it. If i were you i would either go ahead and cut off the "wings" and install the tail since you dont have much time and then start looking for a stock replacement one. I have two undertrays for the rear tail so that i can just switch them out when i change bodywork. And that whole peice is removable you just need to take everythign out of the battery tray and undo a couple of fasteners. good luck my friend if u need anything else let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page