Weird issues last night - Wouldnt start, flashing oil/malfunction light, etc - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Weird issues last night - Wouldnt start, flashing oil/malfunction light, etc

So went out to get on the bike last night and it wouldn't start. This happens about once every 2-3 months. I think it was flooded. Anyways, in the past I've got it to turn over by rocking the throttle back and forth. Last night that didn't work. It almost fired up a few times but didn't make it. Anyways, after trying for a while I drained the battery. Luckily theres a nice long hill behind my house so I was able to push the bike back there and push start it. It fired up and ran like crap for about 30 seconds (I guess it was flooded and getting rid of the excess fuel). It ran fine for another minute or so and then the oil light came on. Needless to say, I went straight home (luckily I was only a few blocks away). I parked it and let it sit for a bit. I checked the oil and its still dead center between the lines. I turned it on again and this time, the oil light was flashing in a pattern of two blinks (blink twice, pause, bink twice, pause). The little oil can picture was not up on the panel though. I let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. Waited 5 mintues and started it again. This time, no issues. The light stayed off.

Rode to work this morning with no issues.

I know that light also serves as the malfunction light. Anyone know what that 2 blink flashing pattern means? I'm guessing low battery but not sure.

Any idea why the bike wouldn't start? If it was flooded, will cranking the throttle to full power and leaving it for a bit drain it?

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Macho Office Monkey

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tried looking in my service manual and it said nothing on the code lights. However I have an 03 and 03 manual. I am not sure whats up there. A few days ago I started my bike got riding and it started making a weird electrical noice it must have been normal cause it was running great and has not done it since? Sorry I am n help but I would say keep in eye on it while your riding. Also I would trickle chrge it see if it holds a charge. You may have a bad battery and that maybe causing the issues.

08 600rr Orange/Black
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=144174
Wifes new ride so pumped!!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandy12 View Post
I tried looking in my service manual and it said nothing on the code lights. However I have an 03 and 03 manual. I am not sure whats up there. A few days ago I started my bike got riding and it started making a weird electrical noice it must have been normal cause it was running great and has not done it since? Sorry I am n help but I would say keep in eye on it while your riding. Also I would trickle chrge it see if it holds a charge. You may have a bad battery and that maybe causing the issues.
Well the battery drained cause I was trying to start it for so long. It was fine otherwise. After I got it running the batt seemed to charge back up pretty quick.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Macho Office Monkey

Wow that does seem a bit odd have you asked the dealer at all. I like to call and bother them for free and try to steal some advice it works now and again

08 600rr Orange/Black
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=144174
Wifes new ride so pumped!!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

My 03 used to do that (flood) changed the fuel pump out and the battery and no problems since. Don't know which one it was but pretty sure it was the fuel pump, then trying to start it so many times while flooded screwed the battery.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Knightslugger

Two flashes is a Code 2. It's a MAP sensor Performance Problem either caused by a loose Vacuum line connected at the engine, electrical connector, or the sensor itself has has failed. check the connections. the sensor is located near a fuel rail, i'm guessing the left side lower over the stator cover. the line is 1/4"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Two flashes is a Code 2. It's a MAP sensor Performance Problem either caused by a loose Vacuum line connected at the engine, electrical connector, or the sensor itself has has failed. check the connections. the sensor is located near a fuel rail, i'm guessing the left side lower over the stator cover. the line is 1/4"
Hey, thanks for the info. It looks like the map sensor is actually on the right side near the fuel tank. The bikes running fine now, but I'll still check that out tonight.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Knightslugger

well there you go. right side. i've not seen it myself with my own eyes, just a crappy photo in the service manuel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 76 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
you are just a technical professor! I'm glad we got you on the board. :icon_salu
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

After taking things apart, the map sensor on an '05 RR is actually right in the center under the top fuel injector connections. Its on the right on an '04.

I checked everything out and it all seemed ok, at least on a visual inspection. Bike seems to be running fine since that night so no idea what happened. Maybe it was just flooded.

I can add that you need to make sure your gas tank is securely propped up before putting your head near the fuel injectors for a closer look. :toothy6:

I have a nice cut on my temple and arm from when it fell on me. Luckily my fingers were all ok (I'm a musician).

Last edited by HomerSaurus; 10-03-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page