Front Wheel Doesn't Spin Freely - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Front Wheel Doesn't Spin Freely

Hey y'all

I'm racking my brain on this one. Took the front wheel to replace some things after a lowside (clip ons); I reinstalled everything, got the wheel spacers on right and everything (I think) and went for a ride. Felt weird. Came back, put it back on stands and spun the front tire. Didn't spin freely. Felt like it was dragging on the pads (have Vesrah RJLs). So, I took the calipers off to see if the axle was aligned and spun the wheel again. It spun true. So, I think it's a caliper thing. Thoughts? Pads are virtually brand new. Only about 1.5 hours of track time before I hit the dirt. First time riding since it went down.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive always noticed my pads dragging on my rotor, but it got WAY more pronounced recently after I had my front tire replaced. Some drag is normal, but if its prohibitive to your front tire rotation, I would squeeze the pads/pistons back into the cylinders a little, then bleed and get the brake pads to grab the rotor again and see if the problem goes away.

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid, you're afraid of whores. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, but to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to get naked in this thread, and then I'm going to show these whores what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where whoring is possible.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you maybe bend your caliper mounts in your low side enough to cause the drag? Or your forks got bent?
That's all I can think of.

akboy777
2005 CBR 600RR Black with Tribal

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't think so. Like I said, without the calipers on there, the wheel spins perfect with no hesitation. In fact, it spins as if there's no friction whatsoever. It keeps going and going. Last night, I cleaned up the calipers and thought maybe I had shoved some gunk into the cylinder when I pushed back the pad installing them. Spun freely last night with the calipers on, so I hope that's the cause, but I haven't pumped the brakes yet. I think it's calling for a brake bleed.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page