Clutch Slipping / not releasing? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch Slipping / not releasing?

I had a new clutch cable a month or two a go. This might be conincidental but when I was approaching a round about the other day as I knocked it down a gear pulling the clutch in the bike felt like it was wanting to run on. The revs were kind of holding breifly at 3000rpm as if the back wheel was still being influenced by the engine revs. It did this a few times. I tried adjusting the lever and cable by turning it so in took up some slack on the cable. Then when I was in high rpm in 3rd the clutch slipped. The revs went up but the bike wasn't pulling as hard. I adjusted it back and when I got home I put it up on a rear stand. When I pulled the clutch in with the engine on the rear wheel turned ever so slightly. So I adjusted it so that the wheel wasn't turning with the clutch in and bike in gear. I couldn't turn the top adjuster anymore out for this to stop it completely. It feels better but I am not confident this has solved it. The other night I got a little bit of slip.

Are these early signs that the clutch is on its way out? Is it just clutch plates I need to order and do an oil change or is it a new clutch completely? Do you lose engine braking if I upgrade to a slipper clutch?

Help appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

04 Ducati 749R Carbon
06 Honda S2000 GT
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/IMG_6211.jpg

04 Ducati 749R Carbon RIP
05 CBR600RR RIP
05 CBR600RR RIP
00 Honda S2000 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Hitz eit from z back

Try adjusting the clutch cable some more until the problem stops. Assuming the clutch wasn't slipping before the new cable was installed. Did you change the oil anytime in the last few days? running a oil that is marked as energy conserving could cause the clutch to slip. Don't take all the play out of the clutch lever. Their is also a adjustment on the right case cover to adjust the clutch play. Now that I think about it, It all most sounds like you clutch is sticking since it wouldn't disengage all the way on deceleration with the clutch pulled in.

If in fact your clutch is bad you only have to replace the disks and plates. A slipper really won't benefit you unless you track your bike a lot or race. You will also lose most of your engine braking going with a slipper since their designed to reduce engine braking.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Yeah seems like its not disengaging. The bike just had a service with new oil at a honda dealership. They have aways put the same oil in and have warned about going to fully synthetic for slip problems.

I think its not disengaging. there is no play in the cable at all. I have not played with the other end of the cable. I have checked and can see how to adjust it. Will drop it back at the dealers for them to sort it properly.

04 Ducati 749R Carbon
06 Honda S2000 GT

05 CBR600RR RIP
05 CBR600RR RIP
00 Honda S2000 RIP

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
How many miles on the bike, and why did you need a new cable installed? Sounds like the clutch is starting to go.

WERA #262
2007 CBR600RR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I got a new clutch cable as mine was stiff as hell. Needed cleaning and lubing. Thought it was better to get a new cable as other work was being done on the bike. The bike has 20,000 miles on it now on a 2005. I do a lot of town riding so I go up and down the gears a lot. I think it is new clutch time. any idea of how much time it will take to change the plates out etc?

04 Ducati 749R Carbon
06 Honda S2000 GT

05 CBR600RR RIP
05 CBR600RR RIP
00 Honda S2000 RIP
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Having trouble understanding the intial post, but seems to me you just need to adjust the cable correctly. There should be about (at least) half an inch play in the lever. If the bike is on a rear stand and in gear, the rear wheel may turn a little....just a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page