Tach Not Working - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tach Not Working

hey guys i have a small problem the tach on my bike doesnt work....when i turn my key on it does the up swing but thats it my speedo works everything else works (except the gas gauge) can some one tell me whats worng with it or what to check ive already tried a different cluster and that didnt work...help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

some one please help
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Have you checked your fuses on the left side of the bike under the mid fairing?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

yea they are good like i said..when i turn the key on the gauge cluster works like its supposed to then when i start it the tach dosent work but everything else does its got me puzzled i even swapped out the gauge with one that works and it did the same thing
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You said everything works but not the gas gauge, even when you try another tach.

The problem is with the Fuel Level Sensor. Check for an open circuit in the wire harness and the fuel level sensor.

Remove the fuel pump unit, connect an ohmmeter to the fuel pump unit 3p (black) connector Red/black and Black/white terminals.

Inspect the resistance of the float at the top (full) and bottom (empty) position

Resistance should be: Top (full) 11-13 om / Bottom (empty) 130-135 om

You may have a bad fuel pump sensor.:icon_stud

P.S. they don't sell the fuel sensor by is self you would of to buy the fuel pump unit.

Last edited by raydog; 10-25-2007 at 11:58 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help on the gas gauge...but the tach dont work...ive lived with the gas gauge not working since my wreck...but the tach itself just stopped working one day...it does the up swing when you turn the key but when you start it, it doesnt show how mean rpms its running at...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Ok, check the sub-fuse (10A) and black/brown wire for a loose connection or an open circuit
Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
raydog
This message has been deleted by raydog.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

OK this may sound dumb but may be the answer. I had a faulty batt on my 03. The tech would not work just like yours isn't working now. Change the batt and everything was fine after that.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermans600rr View Post
thanks for your help on the gas gauge...but the tach dont work...ive lived with the gas gauge not working since my wreck...but the tach itself just stopped working one day...it does the up swing when you turn the key but when you start it, it doesnt show how mean rpms its running at...
WTFGO, if I'm reading his quote correctly.....sound like is battery is working fine.

Last edited by raydog; 10-25-2007 at 02:35 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

for those trying to help me here is what its not doing lol

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 PM

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I helped out a friend who had a similar issue but with the HRC electrics.

However principles are the same for the tacho wiring. Off the top of my head if the tacho is swinging on and off at start-up that shows you've got a voltage supply to the tacho so it's either the ECU faulty which can happen, or a wiring fault from the ECU to the tacho.

There's a pretty clear secion in the workshop manual on testing the tacho, pm me for more info if you need it. A quick test would be to swap ECU's with your mate and see if that cures it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Bad tach as well guru needed

just sent my gauges off to get color change. hooked up gauges everything but the tach functions all fuses ok the tach does do the sweep at start up but seems to get no signal. i dont know which wire to trace for the rpm signal. if someone can post pics video and or good directions color of wire and such...
also how does the ecu get the rpm signal. where is that wire and is there an inline fuse on it? i dont think my ecu went bad running a a few days without a gauge it must have blown a fuse.

WTB guru.... :book1:

Sprockets (-1 +2 )
Stickers (removed added and relocated for speed)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Try searching for a copy of the online manual - there's a whole section in troubleshooting when the tacho doesn't work. Gives wire colours and everything. The tacho signal comes from the ignition pick-up sensor in the r/h casing. If this was faulty the bike wouldn't run right as it get's all it's ignition pluses through the same sensor.

Last time I heard of this fault the ECM was faulty
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy45 View Post
Try searching for a copy of the online manual - there's a whole section in troubleshooting when the tacho doesn't work. Gives wire colours and everything. The tacho signal comes from the ignition pick-up sensor in the r/h casing. If this was faulty the bike wouldn't run right as it get's all it's ignition pluses through the same sensor.

Last time I heard of this fault the ECM was faulty
Troy45 <~ i took his advice and i have a new ecm in route. i checked the yellow w/green wire pos. and solid Green wire neg. for Voltage readings manual says under 10.5V min replace ECM. my ECM gets here on the 16th i will install that night and post my results. but yeah i got 9.33-9.4V readings below min level. took my reading from both the back of gauges and in the wire connecter under left handle bar. both locations gave identical readings. someone posted that used ECM's go for about 30 bucks shipped and new ones around 600-800 :O i got ine for 89 shipped off ebay says its new in package.

Sprockets (-1 +2 )
Stickers (removed added and relocated for speed)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
PROBLEM SOLVED:

The issue and solution is with the ECU. I replaced my wiring harness (the portion that goes from the riders right side of the bike up to the gauges, but that didnt' solve the issue. I put in a different ECU and that has solved the issue. I was able to use my original wiring harness again, so it's definitely the ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page