Battery problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Battery problem

My battery has been acting funny lately. Sometimes when I go to start the bike, the battery will die and the bike wont start. Other times it starts right up with no problem. It's been a pain, because I have to keep push starting it. I'm not sure if I should buy another battery, because of how it works sometimes and other times it doesnt. Any ideas of the cause of this?

My bike is red, black, clean, waxed, and fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Check the battery terminals make sure they are tight
if they are and the battery still acts that way take it
off the bike and get it load tested at any auto parts
store such as pep boys , auto zone with that test
you will know if the battery is good or not

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I just had to replace mine, wouldn't hold a charge. If you have to buy one you can find great deals on E..., 40 shipped for mine brand new

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Knightslugger

I'm leaning twords bad battery connection. This doesn't sound like a defective battery at all. we need some more information.

"Sometimes when I go to start the bike, the battery will die and the bike wont start."

Does this mean that the starter tries to crank the enigne before it dies out, or does this mean there is no power to the bike at all? or, does this mean that there is power to the bike like normal, but when you hit the starter button all electronics power off until you release the starter button...

I suggest doing exactly as MoeMan suggested. What he means by, "Check the connections" he means remove them, clean the holy bejeebus out of the contact, the connector, and the fastener so that you are getting a solid metal on metal connection. this means the battery teminals, the solenoid connections, the starter, and the grounding strap.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

there is power to the bike like normal, but when you hit the starter button all electronics power off until you release the starter button.

I'll check the connections for now.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Knightslugger

and when it wants to start, it's fast and strong, correct?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Im not sure what you mean. But when it does start, it is fast and normal. When it does not start, it cranks like once and dies.

It seems when I go on short trips and turn the bike off, it will not start. But on longer trips, if I turn it off, it will start right up.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble_R View Post
Im not sure what you mean. But when it does start, it is fast and normal. When it does not start, it cranks like once and dies.

It seems when I go on short trips and turn the bike off, it will not start. But on longer trips, if I turn it off, it will start right up.
So you can reproduce the problem? What year is the bike? Where do you live? How long of a ride long? How short is short? What's your Average Short Speed? What's your average Long trip speed? DO you suffer from stop and go traffic or crawling pace such as 10 MPH splitting though traffic?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Funny, I getting a similar problem and its getting worse.....LOL
My bike (05RR) firered right up, but it felt fun, when I got up the street it die at the stop sign. Then it wouldn't start...The gauge lights flickered when I hit the start button. I started to notice this a couple weeks ago when out of the blue my bike wouldn't start here and there. Then my signal lights stop working but the fuse is good....I put a good battery in her tonight from another bike and charged it....so I will see if its the battery or a short in the electrial wireing..The later might be the signal problem....
Troubleshooting time.............................................. ............................
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Knightslugger

@ cortayack:

i don't understand why you threw a battery at the problem and are going to wait until that fails to troubleshoot. obviously something is wrong with the charging system. it would behoove you to inspect your system NOW before it damages the battery AGAIN.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 11-06-2007 at 08:51 AM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Like Knight says its very possible that the rectifier / regulator
is over charging your battery ie killing battery cells and this
will keep on regradless of having a new battery or not

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I had the same problem as cortyack awhile ago, and it ended up just being the connection was bad.

I can't really reproduce the problem, because its random. But it seems as though it happens on short trips more often.

The bike is an 05', I live in FL, A longer ride would be when I go to class, which is 20 miles.. it has not happened at school yet. A short ride would be like 5 miles. But then again, I have gone over 20 miles, and it didnt start up so I'm not sure. The longer trips, I tend to go faster. Shorter trips would have traffic lights.

I read something on this board that said if your going over 5k the battery is charging? Maybe that has something to do with it.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble_R View Post
I read something on this board that said if your going over 5k the battery is charging? Maybe that has something to do with it.
No, it's got nothing to do with it. It's complete bullsiht. if the engine is running, then it should be charging the battery. the 5000 RPM is where the voltage supply sample is taken to determine the state of the Voltage Regulator.

I want you to renew your connections first. if the issue persists, i want you to test the charging system. Don't throw parts at it until you have a peice that's out of specification.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 11-06-2007 at 11:41 AM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM
World Superbike Racer

Where do you check the charging system (stator) at???? BAttery right...So I should get 12.5 to 13.5 volts across the battery when its on right???
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
@ cortayack:

i don't understand why you threw a battery at the problem and are going to wait until that fails to troubleshoot. obviously something is wrong with the charging system. it would behoove you to inspect your system NOW before it damages the battery AGAIN.
My battery in my 05 is older, so it might be going bad...I don't have time to take it to the auto store, so the quick fix was to see what the other battery would do....But I needed to charge it over night...So before I went to work I checked out the bike. It firered right up but something was funny. I let it run and it end up dieing.. I tried to start it again and nothing. So I was not riding in to work this morning...Jumped in the cage and went to work....So now the troubleshooting begins!!!

Sorry if I jacked this thread!!!!!!:toothy12:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortayack View Post
Where do you check the charging system (stator) at???? BAttery right...So I should get 12.5 to 13.5 volts across the battery when its on right???
you check the stator by determining resistance via the three wires coming out of them. use this diagram to aid in your maintenance.

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

don't say i never gave you nothin.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
you check the stator by determining resistance via the three wires coming out of them. use this diagram to aid in your maintenance.

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

don't say i never gave you nothin.
You have gave me nothing..........:sad11:
Now, you don't think I wasn't going to say it...............:toothy12:

Thanks knightslugger, that diagram will come in handy, forgot my MM at work, so tomorrow I will check it...............

Do you know where the signal relay is by chance????
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Knightslugger

in the dash i'm afraid.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
in the dash i'm afraid.
In the dash as in the gauge cluster????? because my signals don't work....And the fuse is OK...
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortayack View Post
In the dash as in the gauge cluster????? because my signals don't work....And the fuse is OK...
yeah.

have you checked the switch? how about the ground? use your multimeter man!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
World Superbike Racer

I need my MM!!!!!! i replaced that switch about 8 months ago, its still pretty new, but thats not say much....LOL!

This weekend, I will see how far I go.............
I will post up what I find or don't find............
So what happen to Double R?
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Knightslugger

i donno what happened...
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 03:34 PM
World Superbike Racer

Well, I tested the stator today using the diagram Knightslugger posted up....alot of help from it....Heres what happen!!!!
Tested the voltage over the battery terminals and reved the engine to 2500 rpms.....I got 13.2 volts when I should be getting 13.5 volts
So I tested the connections and groundings everything is good...
Now I went to the stator wiring..Tested the resistance between the yellow wires and got mixed measurements so I couldn't go by that. I went to the next step. Checking the voltage between the stator wires...Reved the engine to 5000rpms and got bad measurements...
One wire had no voltage!!!!
The other 24 vlots (when I should be getting 50+)
And last had 27 volts (same as above)
My conclusion is I have a bad stator....
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Knightslugger

isn't investigating a problem and finding the problem both educational AND productive?

aren't you glad you did some homework before throwing parts at a problem HOPING it would fix it?
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
isn't investigating a problem and finding the problem both educational AND productive?

aren't you glad you did some homework before throwing parts at a problem HOPING it would fix it?

Slow down there Knightslugger....I wasn't throwing parts into the problem HOPEING it would fix itself!!!! I commute on that bike so, I swaped the battery to see if that was the problem and checked it in the morning....I didn't have my Multimeter!!!! Problem still existed so battery was ruled out and on to the next step or on to the weekend when I have time to troubleshoot........ I'm not some mindless sheep.............LOL

thanks for the info..........
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Knightslugger

i'm not saying that you did or had the intention to... i merely meant it to show that investigating the cause of a malfunction to get to the root of the problem is better than throwing parts at it.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
World Superbike Racer

I know that, but sometimes you don't have the time to break things down. I work long hours and I like to ride to work....I wasn't going to ride if the battery was good and I had a charging problem...I knew how the bike was acting so it was no big deal throwing a newer battery in there to see what would happen....It didn't take long to act up......LOL
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

True what your saying!!!! A quick fix isn't aways the best fix!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page