Broken Clutch Cover - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Broken Clutch Cover

Tonight I made a second attempt to reinstall the clutch cover and guess what? I broke that mofo. I think I've bolted and unbolted at least 6 or 7 times, trying to get the pin in correctly. Should I try to repair it, buy a new one, etc.? I took it off to be PC'd. A tear almost came when I saw the piece of metal loose.

Last edited by cjt28; 01-25-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ouch....be careful nxt time...

ride red...taking a risk is fun, but too much fun can kill you!.
for local stunt spot photos click link below...
www.flickr.com/photos/reyjosue/
www.superbikesupply.com
www.lensvisions.com for studio rental.
www.stuntride.com
www.convertibars.com
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rey...15506615165118

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I tried to be. I thought over and over as I struggled with that I should just take a money loss and call a bike mechanic out the house. Now I'll probably end up purchasing a cover and getting a mechanic out here anyway. Spending more than needed.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
my advice.
first-buy a service manual and a torque wrench.
second-replace cover with a stock or aftermarket piece.
third-try not to work on your bike when in a rush because it will save you a lot of headaches.
four-learn from this and fix it yourself. no need to call a service tech for a engine cover install if you follow steps 1-3 above.
five-have fun. working on your bike can be as much fun as riding it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dunno what went wrong there but you should be able to seat the cover flush to the motor before you even start to tighten up the bolts.

Pretty sure there's a How-to on here somewhere and that should detail all you need to know and look out for. There's a knack to getting the clutch arm to mesh into the lifter pin but the design is actually simpler than some other bikes.

Pity you've learned the hard way this time.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaines1016 View Post
my advice.
third-try not to work on your bike when in a rush because it will save you a lot of headaches.
four-learn from this and fix it yourself. no need to call a service tech for a engine cover install if you follow steps 1-3 above.
1. I have a service manual and a torque wrench.

2. I don't even think they make aftermarket clutch covers.

3. I was not in a rush. I took my time.

4. Have you installed a clutch cover before?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy45 View Post
Dunno what went wrong there but you should be able to seat the cover flush to the motor before you even start to tighten up the bolts.

Pretty sure there's a How-to on here somewhere and that should detail all you need to know and look out for. There's a knack to getting the clutch arm to mesh into the lifter pin but the design is actually simpler than some other bikes.

Pity you've learned the hard way this time.
Yep I learned the hard way. Luckily I was able to purchase another cover for $35. So its not all that bad. I actually got the pin aligned with the flange. It's just that when I pulled the clutch lever in, it was way too tight and didn't operate properly. I bolted and unbolted and took my time. The piece I broke was the weakest spot on the cover. I accidentally left last bolt on that piece and because of load/force, it popped off.

And went by a guide on here. It was a good write up on how to uninstall. But the reinstall portion could have been written with more detail. I noticed that there are several members here who had the same problem with the rod and flange. Its hard to believe that this is a simpler design than most systems. But I'll take your word for it. You live and you learn.

Last edited by cjt28; 12-20-2007 at 10:00 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does sound unusual to have a problem like that after taking your time wih it all, hard to say what might have actually caused it without being there at the time - I take it the new cover went on OK?

Compared to some othre bikes the Honda design with the cluch arm scooped out and the clutch lifter being a top-hat design usually makes it easier to line it al up. I usually set the arm at say 90 degrees to the cover then let it all engage as you move the cover into place - you can even help it by moving the arm over once it's engaged, this helps pull the cover into position (not read the how-to by the way cos I can manage it OK anyway)

On bikes like the 06 R1 the clutch cover is slightly simpler cos it doesn't locate shafts etc but the clutch arm and pin are a gear/teeth arrangement so you can get them in the wrong alignment, plus the lifter pin floats in the clutch outer pressure plate and the casing is machined on an angle to the crankcase. By the time you get the lifter pin and it's location in the casing close to each other you're tight for space to the frame and can't see what you're doing. I'm glad I never had to open a clutch during a race with the endurance R1 I used to look after.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
................nevermind......................

Last edited by gaines1016; 12-21-2007 at 11:26 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Update

The first cover that came with bike most likely got damaged when I got it powdercoated or damaged in a crash, because it was warped and would never sit flush on the reinstall. And I thought that I was the one f***** up.

The second cover I bought from a member on here sat perfectly flush on the mounting space. I decided not to get it powdercoated for fear that it may become warped. I decided to buy some hi-temp spray can paint and coat it myself. I'm guessing the heat created by the engine will cure the finish and make it durable.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Unhappy

has anyone ever had a problem with the starter not being able to turn the gears inside the cover once everything is tightened up? I fixed some rash on my cover then painted it with a rattle can. I put the cover back on making sure everything lined up good and the cover just slipped all the way on with no problem...but after i tightened it down the starter was not able to turn the shaft that turns the motor...then i loosened all of the bolts on the cover untill they were hand tight and the starter worked fine....keep in mind i had unpluged the fuel pump so the bike wouldnt start with no oil in it....and i didnt hold the starter switch but for a second so i wouldnt do any damage to the bearings. Any thoughts...maybe the cover is warped??
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I think most likely mine was warped because of the powdercoating. However, after the crash if your bike rode fine and changed gears ok, I would doubt if the cover was warped. I would double check the idle gear, making sure the rear of it is in its slot and the idle gear is aligned with the other gear on the bottom.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM

ok...im a jackass...i was just assebling the parts wrong...both washers are supposed to go on the middle gear and not the other smaller gear....http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_04...50&parent=5240
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Powder coating (or the powder coating process) couldn't warp this peice. The temp used isn't remotely hot enough to change the metalurgy of the cover.

Bummer it broke - glad you got a replacement that fits right.

2006 CBR 600RR
House of Kolor Custom Silver Streak White/Silver Pearl Paint
Powder Coated Covers and Sets : 1000RR Front Fender
Woodcraft Case Covers : Woodcraft Sliders
Zero Gravity Dark Smoke DB : Corbin Carbon Leather Seat
6000k Xenon Rider HID Hi/Lo : Custom FE
GSXR Signal Mirrors : Proton Flush Mounts : Rizoma Track01's
Leo Vince SBK Carbon Slip On : CRG Shorties
Bluegauges.com LED mod
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 AM

i used to powdercoat at a machine shop and we ran our oven at 350-375 degrees F. Thats not that hot...just enought to warm the piece your painting and to melt the powder so it flows out properly.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaines1016 View Post
my advice.
SIX- most important, dont use a hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page