A question about the clutch - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A question about the clutch

Hi all, i am from greece. I bought a cbr 600 RR 2005 model about 3 weeks ago. I must say i really love the way this bike goes, but i have a question about the clutch (since its not a new bike). I see no clutch slip or anything but i couldnt fail to notice that the clutch is engaging when its rather let out, like after the 2/3 travel of the lever. I checked the cables and all for slack and its at an optimal 10~20 mm. So thats not the deal, but do all cbrs behave like that? Or did the previous owner had some "fun" there? By the way the bike has around 10 500 km on its speedo (about 9500 when i got it). So its rather unused IMO (offcourse u can change the speedo to your likings but the bike seemed pretty decent). Any help would be apreciated, also with my being a new rider to the 600 class bikes (i had a cbr 125 before this bike) i am open to any hints or tips about riding, mods anything helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Knee Dragger

I don't know if I am understanding you right about the clutch, but I usually have a lot less slack in the cable than 10-20mm. What I do to measure it is make sure the clutch lever is all of the way out, and then I pull on the clutch cable/housing in the direction away from the lever. I adjust the play so that the cable housing only pulls out of the lever barrel adjuster about 2-3mm.

For me this works well because, when the clutch lever is depressed to shift, the clutch disengages pretty early so I can shift quicker, but with that amount of play, there is no clutch plate slippage to worry about.

With the clutch cable adjusted like this though, I am checking the cable play at least every other ride. When the lever barrel adjuster is at its limit, I adjust the cable at the engine end adjuster, and then reset the clutch lever adjuster.

Hope this helps.

Dave

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

im sorry i meant the levers slack is 10-20 mm , not the cable it self. So by your sayings that means that its normal for the clutch to have such a short range of action. thanx for your help

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't know if it's correct or not, but my '05 works the same way. A very narrow window of engagement compared to other bikes I've had. You get used to it real quick. Like Deedub says....quick shifting.

'05 CBR600RR
'03 ZRX1200R
'72 Rupp Roadster

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5349 View Post
I don't know if it's correct or not, but my '05 works the same way. A very narrow window of engagement compared to other bikes I've had. You get used to it real quick. Like Deedub says....quick shifting.
YESSS thats exactly what i wanted to read :D thanx m8 cheers :D A very narrow window of engagement is exactly what i meant great so no worries on the clutch (yet :P )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page