Turn signal question - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turn signal question

I bought the clear alternatives rear light for my 06. I don't have front blinkers due to one side's mount being broken. I have the rear tail light installed w/ resistors and it doesn't blink. I'm guessing due to me not having the front blinkers hooked up??? Can I put a resistor in the front blinker connections to make it think they are there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Sweeper Warrior

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
check to make sure you wired it up correctly, the fuse, and also check your flasher. T.K.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies.....
but the silence of our friends... -- Martin Luther King Jr.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkisabmf View Post
check to make sure you wired it up correctly, the fuse, and also check your flasher. T.K.
you mean the switch... and not the relay.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

The blinker light, lights up solid. It came these big white Resistor's. I have them hooked up exacly the way the wiring diagram says. There is nothing hooked up to the front blinker connectors.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Sweeper Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy2585 View Post
The blinker light, lights up solid. It came these big white Resistor's. I have them hooked up exacly the way the wiring diagram says. There is nothing hooked up to the front blinker connectors.

Guy,

it doesn't matter that the front signal's are not hooked up. the rear has it's own circuit that is feed of the flasher. i'm guessing that the rear signal's worked fine prior to the install. correct? if so, that in my mind eliminates the switch as Slugger had suggested. when you remove the seat, you should see the flasher. it's black, square shapped, and has two wires going to it. if you turn the signal on, then pull the flasher out, the light SHOULD go out.

i have to tell you, i'm on vacation, away from the bike and service manual. i played around with the flasher the one day, and if i recall correctly, when i removed it, the signal stayed lit. then when i plugged it back in, it would blink. i don't recall if the flasher interupted the ground side or the power.

maybe Slugger will chime in with accurate detail from the wiring diagrahms. Slugger? T.K.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot, I'll go check that out
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Knightslugger

wait. under the seat? that's not where the Flasher Relay is located... the relay is located inside the dash, integrated.

Now you said that you replaced the rears with Clear Alternative Integrated lights. I assume that they are LED? Since the Draw from the lights is significantly less than what is stock, they will flash very very very very very fast since the front one is missing. you say you have the resistors installed correctly. Would you be so kind as to humor me with a diagram or perhaps a picture or explanation of how it looks? it SHOULD go from the positive wire to the negative with for the flash circuit (if there is one).
Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Knightslugger
This message has been deleted by Knightslugger.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I just went to honda, basicly no help. They said it must be a wiring problem. They don't think it would be the flasher relay under the mid, but I think it might. How can I test that? Here is the wiring diagram I got from www.Clearalternatives.com Homemade drawing, since i dont have a scanner hooked up right now.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I also tried putting one of the stock blinkers in the front, still the lights just stay on. They get power, just no flashing. Yes, they are LED. Honda said the flasher for the rear would be in the LED circuit board in the rear light.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 AM

I just did this little write-up with pictures:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...98#post1461498

Hope it helps! :)
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 AM

you don't have the resistors wired right.. they are flashing so fast, that the light appears to be solid on..

look at this..

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 AM

Chris' diagram is BANG ON! That's exactly what I have in my pix but the diagram's a lot more organized...good job Chris. :)
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Knightslugger

resisters are connected between the positive and negative wires on the turn signal. if they are connected INLINE of one of the wires, they are wrong and they wont work.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Sweeper Warrior

Guy,

alright, i'm home. i looked in my manual (2007), the turn signal relay is under the seat. it has a 3 pin connector w/ 2 wires. this send's power to the turn signals both L & R. through the switch. it's a bimetalic srtip. basiclly it sends power, the strip heat's up, open's the circuit, cools and closes. if it's not "opening" the circuit, then the light will stays on, both L & R.

the resistors should be connected in line between the power wire from the bike, to the power leads for the turn signal. the CA light provides ground for the signals through the tail light ground. leave the harness grounds from the stock setup disconnected. let us know what you come up with. T.K.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Guy,

alright, i'm home. i looked in my manual (2007), the turn signal relay is under the seat. it has a 3 pin connector w/ 2 wires. this send's power to the turn signals both L & R. through the switch. it's a bimetalic srtip. basiclly it sends power, the strip heat's up, open's the circuit, cools and closes. if it's not "opening" the circuit, then the light will stays on, both L & R.
I know that the relay is integrated with the dash on all previous iterations of 600RRs to the 2007 model. this includes the OP's 2006. Since the 2007 has a new dash setup, i'm not surprised they removed it from the dash given the criticism Honda has received regarding aftermarket signal use and flasher solutions.

Quote:
the resistors should be connected in line between the power wire from the bike, to the power leads for the turn signal. the CA light provides ground for the signals through the tail light ground. leave the harness grounds from the stock setup disconnected. let us know what you come up with. T.K.
the resistor should go between the positive wire and a ground. not sure if this is what you meant.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Guy,

Those green wires in my diagram, and the ones on all the 03-06 bikes go directly to a grounding block on the left side of the subframe, so it would be exactly the same thing as running your own grounds, except using the current Honda engineering that's already in place.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I tried putting the resistors in line and ground to positive. They just dim the light when going ground wire to +. The turn signal wires seem to go to the left mid, none of them go under the seat, So is that relay still under the seat? I though that was the starter relay under the seat.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Ride Red

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Before you roast your bike with those resistors, read this thread. https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=52311

It takes 5 mins to put one of those in. Here's a video to show how they work after. http://www.afp520.com/pics/motorcycle/blinker.avi

The reason why your lights appear to be "solid" when they're on is because you have no draw coming from the front blinkers because they aren't hooked up. If they were, your blinkers would work, just blink fast.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I had a similar problem I think. Does the brake light work? try one of the blinkers, if that blinker you try shuts off but the other one stays on you might have blown a fuse. Also try the horn. I don't know if it makes a difference from year to year, but that is what happened to me. Just my .02
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
Before you roast your bike with those resistors, read this thread. https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=52311

It takes 5 mins to put one of those in. Here's a video to show how they work after. http://www.afp520.com/pics/motorcycle/blinker.avi

The reason why your lights appear to be "solid" when they're on is because you have no draw coming from the front blinkers because they aren't hooked up. If they were, your blinkers would work, just blink fast.
the only way he'd roast his bike is if they we're left on for a small eternity.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Brake light works fine. I just went out to the garage. Un-did everything and just hooked up the right side stock blinkers. They come on, but just stay solid lit also(no flashing). So it can't be the LED turn signal thats the problem. It must be a relay?
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Ride Red

Quote:
They come on, but just stay solid lit also(no flashing). So it can't be the LED turn signal thats the problem. It must be a relay?
Your symptom

Quote:
I don't have front blinkers due to one side's mount being broken.
Your cause

The front is not drawing any power. Mine did this when I was in the process of installing everything. A flasher relay will fix the problem you have now though.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Sweeper Warrior

well,
i was working off the wiring diagrahm for an 07, does anyone have a diagrahm for an 06 they can post up in PDF? i have led signal's front and rear. they flash fast, but they flash. at diffrent time's, i've had front or rear disconnected and turned the signal's on. one has alway's worked with out the other (front or rear).

this still sound's like a bad flasher. Slugger said it's in the cluster on 06. he know's his $hit, and i'll take his word. also, Guy said he hooked up a stock front signal, and disconnected the rear. it still didn't flash. that screams flasher relay to me. T.K.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Ride Red

Quote:
well,
i was working off the wiring diagrahm for an 07, does anyone have a diagrahm for an 06 they can post up in PDF? i have led signal's front and rear. they flash fast, but they flash. at diffrent time's, i've had front or rear disconnected and turned the signal's on. one has alway's worked with out the other (front or rear).

this still sound's like a bad flasher. Slugger said it's in the cluster on 06. he know's his $hit, and i'll take his word. also, Guy said he hooked up a stock front signal, and disconnected the rear. it still didn't flash. that screams flasher relay to me. T.K.
Ya I dunno my sh*t at all. I've only hooked up my LED's all around with no problems.

For those what want to know the correct way of doing it (for the 2nd time)
Quote:

[email protected] item# 220188058690. There's your LED flasher relay you need.

Last edited by AFP520; 01-03-2008 at 03:06 PM.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

So the verdict is that my flasher in my cluster is toast? So to fix this I need to buy that LED flasher relay and splice it in somewhere?
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Ride Red

Quote:
So the verdict is that my flasher in my cluster is toast? So to fix this I need to buy that LED flasher relay and splice it in somewhere?
The verdict is because you have no front blinkers hooked up, there is no power being drawn, hence why your back blinkers appear to "stay lit" when you activate them.

The flasher relay would solve your problem on the bike completely. I'd also recommend you do pickup a set of front blinkers too, even if they are some cheapo Lockhart Philips ones.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

The reason I don't have front blinkers is the guy I bought the bike from dropped it over and broke out that mount for the blinker. I'd prefer to have them.

I took out the LED turn signal and hooked up the stock blinkers, front/rear and still same problem.

Quote:
Brake light works fine. I just went out to the garage. Un-did everything and just hooked up the right side stock blinkers. They come on, but just stay solid lit also(no flashing). So it can't be the LED turn signal thats the problem. It must be a relay?
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Sweeper Warrior

Quote:
Ya I dunno my sh*t at all. I've only hooked up my LED's all around with no problems.

For those what want to know the correct way of doing it (for the 2nd time)

[email protected] item# 220188058690. There's your LED flasher relay you need.

hey, wow cheif! no one was saying what you do or don't know. so why you are quoting me, and hate'n doesn't make any sense. also, like i said, i've had either the front or rear disconnected. the remaining signals worked while one end was disconnected. what's up with that? oh yah and what was your solution? thats right, the flasher. hey, what do you know, that's what i've been saying all along. T.K.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Sweeper Warrior

oh yah, here's another one for ya AFP520, why don't the rear signals work with the resistor connected? they draw current. oh yah, that's right. he needs a flasher! T.K.

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Knightslugger

the funny thing about these stock flasher relays is that they base the time off amperage draw. the more draw the light uses, the longer the duration. the less they draw, the shorter the duration. you'd think Honda would put a time based relay on there, but they didn't... and they didn't make it easy to replace either. at least not on the 2003-2006 series.

the flasher works regardless of which side is flashing. if the bulb is burned out on either a front or rear on a particular side, it will still flash but it will flash very rapidly. you will be able to notice it so not superhuman fast. i'm afraid that it sounds more and more like the flasher relay in the dash is malfunctioning and will need bypass surgery before it will work again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page