leaking stator cover. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking stator cover.

i dropped my bike awhile back, it destroyed my flywheel, stator, and stator cover. I have replaced with new parts but have some leak at bottom. Then took off and redid gasket again this time with more rtv but still a leak. tried putting rtv in the bottom two bolt holes with bolts but still leak. what about the two gold bolts that go striaght up un srewed them and had a little oil on them but they have no gasket? THis is a 50 600rr. now tryed putting rtv on the back of the case bolt holes. looks like its coming from that area. oh and this is a very small leak takes awhile to see any oil down there after clean up.

Last edited by 600rr_nate; 12-27-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: found crack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
As long as the mating surfaces are smooth and flat and no hidden cracks this method may help you out. Make sure both surfaces are clean and free of old sealant residue. To one side apply a thin film of form-a-gasket, RTV whatever you like as long as it meets your application needs for temp and oil resistance. Let it cure for 20-30 min then assemble the cover. Now here is where the tip comes in. Tighten the bolts finger tight only. I usually put the 8mm socket on the head for ease of grip, but don't try to strong arm them. Just snug it up to where both surfaces are flush all the way around then leave it alone. 24 hours later come back and torque them down.

I've had the covers off both sides on my race bike regularly and this works for me. Hope it helps.

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

thats what i did exactly both times. it coming from the back side like through one of the lower case bolt holes or the gold bolt. they are right next to each other and cand figure it out. still a leak going to try again it is cold here about mid 50's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
im going to say that your case is cracked and when it heats up and expands it leaks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

yep found a 1 inch hair line crack at the crank case at bottom. clean the hell out of it on inside and outside. Scratched it up and used indrustrial JB weld on the in side and outside. hope that works if not i'll need to either have it welded or get new crank case.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rr_nate View Post
yep found a 1 inch hair line crack at the crank case at bottom. clean the hell out of it on inside and outside. Scratched it up and used indrustrial JB weld on the in side and outside. hope that works if not i'll need to either have it welded or get new crank case.
jb weld will work my buddy bike had a 1/2 inch piece break out i cleaned and put it back togther with jb weld it it held till he got rid of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

sweet i was just worried of the crank expending but were it is it should be fine. hope i fix the leak this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page