'04 600rr - Knocking Sound on Cold Start-up - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 600rr - Knocking Sound on Cold Start-up

I own an 04 600rr, 17xxxkms.. I only aquired it recently & am not sure about a few things...

Firstly, sometimes on a cold startup, I can hear this loud knocking noise coming from the engine. It only last for 3-4 seconds then it sounds "normal". When I did my first oil change (using motul 5100), I didn't fill to the max level on the sight glass, it was slightly above the lower mark. I started the bike & it made the same knocking noise, but it didn't go away for approx 20 seconds, so I hit the kill switch, topped up the oil & tried again, which seemed to work... no knocking noise..

I this normal? or should I panic?

Also, when I'm cruising at low rpm, If I throttle on firmly, I can hear a clunking noise.. It's really annoying, I have to be dead smooth or else I can hear it, note: it's definitely not from the chain being loose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

When I've done oil changes mine knocks a little too as you first start it. So now I disconnect the fuel pump and let it turn over a few times to pump oil around the motor before starting up. It's best filling to the upper level initially beacuse this will drop once the motor starts and it pumps oil all around the motor - I run mine a few times to get a steady reading.

It normally sounds OK when I start it otherwise even if it's been stood for some time so I'm not sure what you're hearing.

When you say cruising at low rpm's then it clunks when you accelerate are you trying this in top gear? Could be that you're asking too much of the motor at low revs in a high gear, with the peak power at say 14,000 rpm it really doesn't have much power or torque at the bottom end of the rev range. Try dropping a gear or 2 before accelerating. If it's not in a high gear when you get the knocking maybe see if you can compare it with another RR?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
The sound you are hearing is from the fuel injectors
and that is a normal condition

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
The sound you are hearing is from the fuel injectors
and that is a normal condition

did you even read my post? :icon_roll it's obviously not the fuel injectors, I can tell the difference between injectors ticking & knocking.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy45 View Post
When I've done oil changes mine knocks a little too as you first start it. So now I disconnect the fuel pump and let it turn over a few times to pump oil around the motor before starting up. It's best filling to the upper level initially beacuse this will drop once the motor starts and it pumps oil all around the motor - I run mine a few times to get a steady reading.

When you say cruising at low rpm's then it clunks when you accelerate are you trying this in top gear? Could be that you're asking too much of the motor at low revs in a high gear, with the peak power at say 14,000 rpm it really doesn't have much power or torque at the bottom end of the rev range. Try dropping a gear or 2 before accelerating. If it's not in a high gear when you get the knocking maybe see if you can compare it with another RR?
Quote:
It normally sounds OK when I start it otherwise even if it's been stood for some time so I'm not sure what you're hearing.
I'm hearing the same noise you hear after an oil change, except not just after an oil change, but on most cold starts.

Quote:
When you say cruising at low rpm's then it clunks when you accelerate are you trying this in top gear? Could be that you're asking too much of the motor at low revs in a high gear, with the peak power at say 14,000 rpm it really doesn't have much power or torque at the bottom end of the rev range. Try dropping a gear or 2 before accelerating. If it's not in a high gear when you get the knocking maybe see if you can compare it with another RR?[/
Not just in top gear, any gear.. I'll try comparing it with another 600rr, i haven't had the opportunity yet. I know what your getting at about "asking too much" of the motor, but I'm certain it's not that, just feels like somethings loose, sounds like the gearbox... I think the previous owner had a little too much fun on it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Is it a knocking or more of a slapping noise? Also, as far as oil goes, you should have your oil level between the lines on the sight glass.

Knocking on Cold start sounds like it may be coming from the bottom end. Excess rod bearing clearance perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
I own an 04 600rr, 17xxxkms.. I only aquired it recently & am not sure about a few things...

Firstly, sometimes on a cold startup, I can hear this loud knocking noise coming from the engine. It only last for 3-4 seconds then it sounds "normal". When I did my first oil change (using motul 5100), I didn't fill to the max level on the sight glass, it was slightly above the lower mark. I started the bike & it made the same knocking noise, but it didn't go away for approx 20 seconds, so I hit the kill switch, topped up the oil & tried again, which seemed to work... no knocking noise..

I this normal? or should I panic?

Also, when I'm cruising at low rpm, If I throttle on firmly, I can hear a clunking noise.. It's really annoying, I have to be dead smooth or else I can hear it, note: it's definitely not from the chain being loose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Is it a knocking or more of a slapping noise? Also, as far as oil goes, you should have your oil level between the lines on the sight glass.

Knocking on Cold start sounds like it may be coming from the bottom end. Excess rod bearing clearance perhaps?

Honda instructs that, after replacing oil, start engine and let idle for 3-5 min. stop engine and with bike upright oil level should be at upper line, not in the middle. keep it at the upper line or you may damage upper end of motor in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page