MIL light and FI/oil signal...HELP! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation MIL light and FI/oil signal...HELP!

Ok, I'm experiencing and odd situation. To give some background on this a few weeks ago I hit a pot hole in a construction area and I bent my rear rim, so it has been sitting since then and I just got my rear rim to throw on and I thought I was going to hit the road...

Pulled the rear off, switch rubber and all that good stuff, when I go to turn it over the batter is dead...So I'm thinkin okay, big deal throw it on the trickle charger, let it go overnight and I should be good the next morning and I can jump on the road.

This morning I get up and the battery is now fully charged, I throw it back in and the MIL light comes on as well as FI indicator and Oil indicator...turn the kill switch to off and back to run the needle flips and fuel pump cycles, the MIL light goes off and the FI indicator disappears (good thing). But the oil indicator doesn't disappear and now I try and turn start it, but it won't turn over...I hold the throttle wide open and try and crank it over about 3 or 4 times and nothing happens and battery is nearly dead again -

now that the battery is dead, I have gone through and checked most of the fuses and nothing seems to be blown...so yeah, I'm trying to wait for the battery to charge again, which is why I'm posting here to get some ideas before I go out there to try again...

I'm thinking maybe the oil pressure is low - so I'm going to get another filter and some Motul 5100 to change the oil out...any and all ideas are welcome

I need your BRAIN MOEMAN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
low oil pressure wouldnt cause the bike to not turn over.

sounds like the battery is bad and not holding a load but i am not an expert on charging systems
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Try and bump start it and see if you can get it fired up. After that go for a good ride and see if it will start itself with the button. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShackleford View Post
low oil pressure wouldnt cause the bike to not turn over.

sounds like the battery is bad and not holding a load but i am not an expert on charging systems
Yeah I know that low oil pressure wouldn't cause the bike to not start...But I don't want that damn oil indicator staying on, LOL. It wasn't on before and I want that damn thing to turn off...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Get the battery charged up first .Hold the throttle wide open it
will take a few trials so be patient and do not give up
Once you get it started hold the throttle for a few seconds
until the bike picks an idle on its own then let it run until the
fan kicks on temp of 221 F or so then shut it off

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripage View Post
Try and bump start it and see if you can get it fired up. After that go for a good ride and see if it will start itself with the button. T
Yeah, I'm gonna try that next...I just want to get around that cuz I'm EFF'n lazy and trying to push start a bike on low tire pressure (stunt pressure) is a B!TCH

but I'm definitely going to try it once I give up being a tinkering fool and hopefully it starts, I just wanna git back on the road and I don't wanna pay to tow it to the shop to have them work on it...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Knightslugger

the oil light will stay on until oil pressure is up. that means it'll be on if the engine is off and the ignition is on since there is no pressure. if the oil light remains on after you get the engine started, the connection to the Oil Pressure Sending Unit may have become loose during that massive jar that bent the sh*t out of your rim. i wouldn't be surprised.

at any rate, if the starter is turning the engine over and the fuel pump primes at "IGNITION ON" it's that the engine is for whatever reason flooded out and needs to dry out. use MoeMan's method to start it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
the oil light will stay on until oil pressure is up. that means it'll be on if the engine is off and the ignition is on since there is no pressure. if the oil light remains on after you get the engine started, the connection to the Oil Pressure Sending Unit may have become loose during that massive jar that bent the sh*t out of your rim. i wouldn't be surprised.

at any rate, if the starter is turning the engine over and the fuel pump primes at "IGNITION ON" it's that the engine is for whatever reason flooded out and needs to dry out. use MoeMan's method to start it.
Yeah, I still have a few hours until the battery is up to par for trying to start...good to know the oil light stays on if ignition is on and bike isn't running, its funny how you don't notice sh*t until things start to go wrong and now that you mention it - I do remember the oil indicator going off once it gets running

one more thing, a while back I had a problem with the rectifier/voltage regulator - could that have anything to do with it? Maybe I should have mentioned that, but it didn't hit me til now...

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to have to try that Wide Open throttle start again and hopefully that works and/or the push start...

keepin my fingers crossed I HATE the shop, by the time I'm 30 I'm going to owe them my first born!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeSumthin View Post
one more thing, a while back I had a problem with the rectifier/voltage regulator - could that have anything to do with it? Maybe I should have mentioned that, but it didn't hit me til now...
very doubtful.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"ScrapeSumthin" - Did you ever find out what was wrong with your bike? I am having some strange gauge light problems also.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page