What happend to this bike? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What happend to this bike?

Hey guys I think we need to get rid of this website because my grades are really going to suffer! I have been looking for a bike for over a month now and finally might have found one. It's a really good deal but the only problem is that it has been down. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how bad you think the crash was and/ or what exactly happened to the bike. It looks to me like the frame is square just not the muffler? WHat do you think? Other than these two pics the bike is in pretty good condition. Also do you know if there is an easy way to square up the exhuast. Sorry for a paragraph of questions. Thanks Andrew
P.S. Notice the home depot screw?? lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rearofbike.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	6382

Name:	enginecasescratch.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	6383
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Its hard to tell from the picture...the subframe could be tweaked but from the pic its difficult to determine.

BTW....I've seen exhausts, on bikes that had never been down and are not centered as you would typically expect them to be.

DD
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey DevilDog,
Thanks for the quick reply. What angle would make it easier to determine if it is tweaked? I have about 30 pics of the bike

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM

unless its obviously tweaked/bent.....sometimes its hard to tell from pics if its only slightly bent. Usually you need the bike present to inspect thoroughly. Just remember, if the deal is super good.....and the rear subframe is in fact tweaked......a straight subframe can be acquired relatively cheap.....about $150 most of the time.

If your exhaust is out-of-alignment.....then you may only need to muscle it back to its proper position.

Either way......if the deal is really good.....the concerns above are not showstoppers.

DD
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
from the case cover looks like a drive way drop and the pipe is whats off .
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
C.F.A. member / whore

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
how'd he scrape the engine and not the fairings? did he replace the rashed fairings? it looks straight to me and that engine covers not bad at all, throw a carbon fiber cover on it if you have to... whats a good deal btw? how many miles?

2013 X5 35d (Tow)
2006 R6 (Track)
2003 600RR (Street)

2002 YZF 426 (Sold)
2000 CBR F4 (Totalled by Illegal U-turner)

Life is good
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
silent master

devil dog is correct on both accounts. its hard to tell from the picture, and some exhaust for the RR looks like its tweaked.

08 CBR600RR black and red for now, will be pearl white in a few weeks.

04 CBR600RR B/S **CRASHED**

2007 Nissan 350z Enth
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

2010 Mitsubishi Evo X
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

RIP Phatstud
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys I will keep this in mind. I am planning on going to look at the bike sometime this week. I will make sure to double check the frame but I am pretty sure it is square here are some more pics of the bike...

Name:	motorcyle_pictures_001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6384

Name:	motorcyle_pictures_009.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	6385

Name:	motorcyle_pictures_014.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6386

Name:	motorcyle_pictures_016.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	6387
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by neight View Post
how'd he scrape the engine and not the fairings? did he replace the rashed fairings? it looks straight to me and that engine covers not bad at all, throw a carbon fiber cover on it if you have to... whats a good deal btw? how many miles?
It can happen. It happened to mine. Same side. Same engine scratches. Same very little fairing damage. You can see some scrapes.

It looks like the bike is fine. The exhaust might need some adjusting, probably just mounted wrong. I agree with others about the subframe. It's a little work to replace it, but if you're mechanically inclined, it's not a big deal.

Not expensive at all. Scour e-ghey for a while and you'll find one for under $150. I did. But I don't think it's that bad.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Not bad.....be sure to ask about how the damage occured.

May be a good bike if everything is legit.

DD
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 PM

i agree with everyone on this. it looks like it just fell over before he installed the frame sliders. i have seen a ton of CBR's with the exhaust off center its just the way they were mounted, my Jardine is off center by about 1/4".
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Ride Red

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it an 05 or 06? Mileage ain't bad. Never go by the exhaust being straight either. Lots of race cans are crooked when mounted.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok yeah I found a bunch of subframes on ebay between 150 and 180. So you guys do or don't think the subframe is tweaked? I know you all said it is hard to tell in pictures but some of your answers sounded like you thought the subframe was bent. I wouldn't bug you guys about it if the bike wasn't so far away. I plan on flying up to look at it and then driving it back but I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I blow money on a plane ticket and then decide the bike isn't as good as I thought. Thanks again guys I am going to try and attach a video but I don't know if it will work. He said it is smoky cause it is 10 degrees outside. NM couldn't get the video uploaded.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
Is it an 05 or 06? Mileage ain't bad. Never go by the exhaust being straight either. Lots of race cans are crooked when mounted.
2003 or 2004.

look at the forks.

It's just the exhaust. i'm sure the Sub is fine. the bike looks like it was gently laid over.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
It is actually an 03. So really good mileage for being so old!
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't think its bent/tweaked....from the pics anyway.

DD
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0598 View Post
It is actually an 03. So really good mileage for being so old!
a 2003 eh? Ask how they rode it around town, how often it saw the highway and at what RPMs they rode at in each situation. i'd hate for you to get a bike and come to find out you need a new battery and Reg/Rec because the PO was an idiot. I'm trying to save you $400
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I don't think its bent/tweaked....from the pics anyway.

DD
Ok great!! Hopefully the bike will have a new owner within the week!!! Thanks devildog and every for helping me decide. It really helped with the decision process. Look forward to letting you all know how it went!!
Andrew
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
a 2003 eh? Ask how they rode it around town, how often it saw the highway and at what RPMs they rode at in each situation. i'd hate for you to get a bike and come to find out you need a new battery and Reg/Rec because the PO was an idiot. I'm trying to save you $400
Hey Knightslugger,
Sorry but Im a newb. What is the Reg/Rec and PO. Where is it on the bike. I know scary right? About to buy a bike and don't even know what the Reg/Rec means. Thank god for this forum!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Knightslugger

Reg/Rec means Regulator/Rectifier Module. it converts the AC 3 Phase energy produced by the generator (stator) to DC voltage, and the Regulator regulates the Voltage to less than 14 VDC.

PO = Previous owner.

You'll find the R/R (also stands for Regulator/Rectifier) in plain site on the left side of the bike, under the mid panel (the one with the huge hole that you can see the fan in). doesn't matter right now though, i know you have a bad design R/R. you'll need to get that replaced if you plan on riding at high engine RPM at low speed. i'm talking 30 mph in 3rd gear. that's too high. even 4th gear @ 30 is kinda boarder line. if you'd like me to explain more in detail about the problem with the R/R i'd be more than happy to. it gets a little in depth, but it's far better (and cheaper, since you could get the seller to take it off the sale price) to replace it now than later when you find out there's a big problem.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Reg/Rec means Regulator/Rectifier Module. it converts the AC 3 Phase energy produced by the generator (stator) to DC voltage, and the Regulator regulates the Voltage to less than 14 VDC.

PO = Previous owner.

You'll find the R/R (also stands for Regulator/Rectifier) in plain site on the left side of the bike, under the mid panel (the one with the huge hole that you can see the fan in). doesn't matter right now though, i know you have a bad design R/R. you'll need to get that replaced if you plan on riding at high engine RPM at low speed. i'm talking 30 mph in 3rd gear. that's too high. even 4th gear @ 30 is kinda boarder line. if you'd like me to explain more in detail about the problem with the R/R i'd be more than happy to. it gets a little in depth, but it's far better (and cheaper, since you could get the seller to take it off the sale price) to replace it now than later when you find out there's a big problem.
Ok so let me get this straight. The 03 is a bad design for the regulator/rectifier. I will have to get the Reg/Rec replaced because they go out when not used often, and I can't go over 30 mph in fourth gear if I don't!!???!! Wow very good to know. How do I know if it has a problem and what year do they stop having this problem (and/or what causes this problem) FYI He has a trickle charger so he might have ran this on the bike to keep the Reg/Rec in good working order. If you don't mind I would love a more in depth explanation. No worries if you don't have the time though.
Andrew
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Ok so let me get this straight. The 03 is a bad design for the regulator/rectifier. I will have to get the Reg/Rec replaced because they go out when not used often, and I can't go over 30 mph in fourth gear if I don't!!???!! Wow very good to know. How do I know if it has a problem and what year do they stop having this problem (and/or what causes this problem) FYI He has a trickle charger so he might have ran this on the bike to keep the Reg/Rec in good working order. If you don't mind I would love a more in depth explanation. No worries if you don't have the time though.
Andrew
sure.

they go out often due to heat build up. when you see where it is and how it's mounted, you'll understand what i mean. it's right next to the headers, facing them. at high engine RPMs, the headers produce a lot of heat. couple this with the heat coming from the radiator and you have yourself a hot cha cha situation for the R/R. the new style bracket that was introduced in late 2004 models eliminates this problem by facing the R/R away from the headers, thus keeping the R/R cool (overheating is what makes them fail). now the reason you don't see this problem with high milage 2003's and early 2004s is because they are most often used on the highway where heat from the headers is wicked away (so to speak) faster and the heat never gets to build up in the exhaust manifold area causing the R/R to heat up. that's why most 2003 early 2004 city bikes with low miles with owners that ride at high rpm have battery tenders on the bike at all times. because the R/R isn't supplying enough energy to the battery OR it's over supplying the battery with power and making it fail. this can cause all kinds of problems with the electrical system as the Stator will have to force more electrons down the windings to make up the deficiency. this can cause them to overheat, and eventually short. this can also cause connecters and harness to melt, bulbs and sensitive electronics to fail, and can lead to mechanical failures as well if left unaddressed.

the only fix before damage is done is to replace the R/R with a new style R/R and mount. you do not have to buy new, a parts 2005 or 2006 will have the necessary stuff for you, are seldom damaged, and you can get it for peanuts.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
sure.

they go out often due to heat build up. when you see where it is and how it's mounted, you'll understand what i mean. it's right next to the headers, facing them. at high engine RPMs, the headers produce a lot of heat. couple this with the heat coming from the radiator and you have yourself a hot cha cha situation for the R/R. the new style bracket that was introduced in late 2004 models eliminates this problem by facing the R/R away from the headers, thus keeping the R/R cool (overheating is what makes them fail). now the reason you don't see this problem with high milage 2003's and early 2004s is because they are most often used on the highway where heat from the headers is wicked away (so to speak) faster and the heat never gets to build up in the exhaust manifold area causing the R/R to heat up. that's why most 2003 early 2004 city bikes with low miles with owners that ride at high rpm have battery tenders on the bike at all times. because the R/R isn't supplying enough energy to the battery OR it's over supplying the battery with power and making it fail. this can cause all kinds of problems with the electrical system as the Stator will have to force more electrons down the windings to make up the deficiency. this can cause them to overheat, and eventually short. this can also cause connecters and harness to melt, bulbs and sensitive electronics to fail, and can lead to mechanical failures as well if left unaddressed.

the only fix before damage is done is to replace the R/R with a new style R/R and mount. you do not have to buy new, a parts 2005 or 2006 will have the necessary stuff for you, are seldom damaged, and you can get it for peanuts.
Wow that was in depth. Very Very Good To Know! The bike has been owned by two people so he wont know how the first one rode the bike. I guess the only way I will find out if there is something wrong with the r/r is if I go look at the bike. Can you tell if the r/r is damaged by just having him record a video of the bike revving? He did this and revved to about 5,000 rpms and it sounded ok. Should I ask him to film the bike revving to redline? Im going to try and find a way to get the video of you tube so you guys can check it out.
Andrew
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Wow that was in depth. Very Very Good To Know! The bike has been owned by two people so he wont know how the first one rode the bike. I guess the only way I will find out if there is something wrong with the r/r is if I go look at the bike. Can you tell if the r/r is damaged by just having him record a video of the bike revving? He did this and revved to about 5,000 rpms and it sounded ok. Should I ask him to film the bike revving to redline? Im going to try and find a way to get the video of you tube so you guys can check it out.
Andrew
no, the only way to know is with a detailed inspection using a multimeter.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
why not ask the owner of the bike what happened to it? Do you think he is going to lie to you cuz if you have a feeling he is you shouldnt even think about buying the bike from him honestly.

Need parts for 08.. Headlights, subframe, front brake reservoir, all fairings, Complete set of clip-ons with all electrical. email or PM me if you have any of these for sale thanks.

email= [email protected]

Official 600rr.net Squid Member #1
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNe View Post
why not ask the owner of the bike what happened to it? Do you think he is going to lie to you cuz if you have a feeling he is you shouldnt even think about buying the bike from him honestly.
Oh I have no idea if he is going to lie or not. Do not know him personaly but he seems to be reputable. I just wanted you guys opinion because you know a lot about these bikes than I do. I will make sure to bring a multimeter with me to inspect the bike. Cant begin to say how much this information helped me. If I buy the bike and you guys want any of the gear I will make sure to give you a great deal on it. Thanks, Andrew
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Oh I have no idea if he is going to lie or not. Do not know him personaly but he seems to be reputable. I just wanted you guys opinion because you know a lot about these bikes than I do. I will make sure to bring a multimeter with me to inspect the bike. Cant begin to say how much this information helped me. If I buy the bike and you guys want any of the gear I will make sure to give you a great deal on it. Thanks, Andrew
here, print this out and take close look at page 4.

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

you're welcome.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Where the hell do you find all this stuff????
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Knightslugger

experience does this kind of stuff to you. i'm a quick learner. i ask questions, i question answers, i see every question as never a simple answer. i always question why. how come. discussion provokes thought and reason beyond the answer. well at least it SHOULD... that's why i love forums. so many people talking about the same thing with the same level of passion.

i love it.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 01-07-2008 at 07:09 PM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Well it's a good thing for me! I think im gonna buy the bike and even if the reg/rec is messed up and I have to spend 400 bucks I will still come out of it with a pretty good deal. But hopefully all I will have to do is just buy the mount for it so I don't have to spend the 400 in the future. I would have used your test sheet but it will cost me 900 to fly up there and it would be cheaper to just fix it once its shipped. Anyways I know you guys are probly tired of hearing thanks but THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page