District 9 - 600RR.net
Movie / Music Reviews Got a great movie / CD you just saw/heard and want to let others know aobut it, post your comments here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
District 9

I saw this on friday and I got to say it was good. Something i never saw before and i liked the story line. THe weapons were sick and i think they did a good job with the casting and the locations.

-Sam
Szm426 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Kapture1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The concept was good... for the first 5 min. Sorry, got to give it thumbs down overall. Some of it was ok.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Kapture1 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
cyclesector.com

 
Disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,432
Images: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 224 Times in 168 Posts
Feedback Score: 85 reviews
I liked the whole thing. The casting was definitely good.

The final scenes were awesome!

Disco is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
scr1be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston . mass
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
best movie of the summer, so far.

generally, people who dislike this movie are probably more into gijoe, hannah montana, or x-men origins: wolverine ... which were all awful movies.

imho.
scr1be is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Hi.RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: HI
Posts: 939
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I cant wait to see this movie, looks SICK. hopefully i get to see it sometime this week.

08 CBR600RR
Hi.RR is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
BDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 2,066
Images: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OP you never saw ET? This was ET with fancy guns. Nothing more. There was this pathetic attempt to discuss race relations, but that idea falls on its face.



************SPOILERS******************






This movie had potential but they leave out so much information that it makes me not give 2 craps about the characters. None of them. Not the guy, not the aliens. I was rooting for the sweet mercinary guy. He was badass. At least I KNOW why he does what he does. He is crazy(as you find out later) and its his job. Why are they here? People say it doesnt matter. Yes it does matter. How am I supposed to care about characters if I dont know their story? How do I become sympathetic to their cause of leaving if I dont know how they got here? Are they stranded? Are they an advance team? They were malnourished. Why is that? Are they prisoners? What is the aliens deal? Why does the ship just stop? WTF is going on here!?!?!?! Why does only 1 single alien out of the 3 million aliens know about how to power the spaceship? How does he know about the "juice" from alien weapons? Come to think of it, why is he the ONLY one that wants to leave? Others were trading their weapons for food. Why arent they all working together to leave if thats what they want. Why dont the others want to leave? Why is it only this 1 or 2 aliens that know this info and can fly the ship? What is this "juice?" Why is strewn about the ghetto/slum? Their weapons were SUPER powerful, why arent they protecting themselves when they realize that they are being agressed upon? Its not that they are non-violent, see previous weapons. For me, there were too many plot holes and unanswered questions.

I see this movie with tons of unrealized potential but short changes the story and the viewer in an attempt to make a point about race relations. Looking at the cast and crew and the writer, this movie is from South Africa. And I think that this type of movie makes a stronger point playing in a country such as Republic of South Africa because of their recent and current history. While I understand the point trying to be made by the movie and I think the message is clear, I feel in the USA it falls on deaf ears. We dont have REAL ghettos like in RSA. We have slums or poor areas. Granted I havent scoured the US looking for them. But Im pretty sure that a place like the ghettos in RSA would be national news and Supreme Leader would be saying how bad we Americans are for it. Sure you can equate the 2 but its really not the same. The majority(not all people, but the MAJORITY) of people in the US are so far beyond the simple, "you are different than me so I have to treat you below me" mentality that I was predicting every "twist and turn" in the plot and what the characters were going to say next. It's really that predicatable.

I give it 2 out of 5 stars. The only reason it gets that extra star is the CGI was flawless and used VERY well. This movie, I think suffers from what I call, "Blair Witch Hype." I think it falls off next week.


Quote:
generally, people who dislike this movie are probably more into gijoe, hannah montana, or x-men origins: wolverine ... which were all awful movies.
Nice assupmtion there big guy, but some of us actually like a movie with a coherent plot and minimal or no plot holes. None of those listed movies have that but at least Wolverine was entertaining as a popcorn movie. But its good to know that you think that people who dont like the same things you do are teenie boppers. Ill make sure to not take any of your movie reviews very serious.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
BDiddy is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
foshoboikevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,703
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
great movie!

TEAM BLT
foshoboikevin is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
cyclesector.com

 
Disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,432
Images: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 224 Times in 168 Posts
Feedback Score: 85 reviews
I think the movie did a good job based on the theme and point it was trying to make. I'm the same way, I don't like unexplained holes in movies and this one definitely makes you want to know more background information, but its not important IMO.

Here is my take. It was clear that the ship stopped because it ran out of fuel. They were apparently low in resources and rations and that's why they were malnourished and why they decided to stop on planet earth rather than just stay stranded in space. Most of the aliens are "worker" aliens, like bees for example, which is why they seem rude and relatively unintelligent. Christopher was a smarter dude, maybe he was an engineer or chemist on the ship. He somehow figured out how to extract "juice" from their technology to make fuel, but it took 20 years to make.

I don't think the movie needs to go into detail about the alien race or why they are the way they are; I think their behavior gives you a good idea about that. The movie isn't really about aliens though, I'd say its more about our own society and human behavior. Humanity was faced with a challenge and an opportunity, and because of our own barbarism and greed, look at what happened.


Last edited by Disco; 08-18-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Disco is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting movie, but personally wouldn't call it fantastic (yet not a waste of money either).
Flashpoint is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
scr1be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston . mass
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I think the movie did a good job based on the theme and point it was trying to make. I'm the same way, I don't like unexplained holes in movies and this one definitely makes you want to know more background information, but its not important IMO.

Here is my take. It was clear that the ship stopped because it ran out of fuel. They were apparently low in resources and rations and that's why they were malnourished and why they decided to stop on planet earth rather than just stay stranded in space. Most of the aliens are "worker" aliens, like bees for example, which is why they seem rude and relatively unintelligent. Christopher was a smarter dude, maybe he was an engineer or chemist on the ship. He somehow figured out how to extract "juice" from their technology to make fuel, but it took 20 years to make.

I don't think the movie needs to go into detail about the alien race or why they are the way they are; I think their behavior gives you a good idea about that. The movie isn't really about aliens though, I'd say its more about our own society and human behavior. Humanity was faced with a challenge and an opportunity, and because of our own barbarism and greed, look at what happened.
SPOILERS****************************************** *****
*******************************************
*******************************************
*******************************************
*******************************************
*******************************************

thank you disco, for having some kind of thought and imagination ... and analysis skills.

yes, the rest were just like disco said, worker bees. they followed orders and leadership.

the ship stopped because something malfunctioned. something obviously went wrong. the workers were then malnourished. and if you recall, there was a piece (the command module) that fell to earth that was never retrieved. later on you find out where it was the whole time.

sure, they had weapons, but again, they followed leadership. they are just unintelligent "worker bees", sans that one guy. and even if there were 1 million of you with nice weapons ... it didn't make them invincible. there could be a million of us stuck in some world with 6 billion people, that doesn't mean we would fight back. advanced weapons or not, we'd get our asses kicked. remember, human guns could still hurt them.

why wouldn't you be sympathetic to their cause of living? what does that have to do with them getting there?

if your family came and got stuck in some town, and i have no idea why, but then everybody in my town stuck you guys into a slum and treated you like sh*t, i'd be sympathetic. especially if i find out people in my town were using some of your family in lab experiments, i'd be sympathetic. thus, again, why would i need to know where you came from?

so really, if you have the power to analyze, you will see that the movie's plot was pretty damn good. especially for the crap that's been out this year, this movie is amazing.

if you can't figure something out, there are tons of forums talking about the movie. go look it up.
scr1be is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
def an original movie and a srtong story line.

-Sam
Szm426 is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
cling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 3,375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I LOVED!!!!! this movie!!

I am a massively huge movie buff, and over the years they have really started to just bore the hell out of me because its all the same movie formula over and over again... well this movie completely surprised me! I had no idea what was coming next because they did not stick to protocol at all! I highly recommend the film to anybody that just wants to see something different and has a higher level of intelligence then the average human being that would rather go see movies like high school musical and band slam.
cling is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
BDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 2,066
Images: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
yes, the rest were just like disco said, worker bees. they followed orders and leadership.
That makes no sense. Worker bees defend the queen at all cost including their own lives. These drones did no such thing. Hell worker bees even defend themselves. Where was Christopher to be a leader?

Quote:
the ship stopped because something malfunctioned. something obviously went wrong. the workers were then malnourished. and if you recall, there was a piece (the command module) that fell to earth that was never retrieved. later on you find out where it was the whole time.
You have no idea if any of that is even true. You just made it up. Its a fine theory, but it isnt "obvious" that something went wrong. Like I said. It could have been an advance team. Or a prison colony. Or refugees. You have no idea. Why would "workers" have access to weapons anyway? But each one of those ideas leads to a different level of sympathy. Refugees, I would care about, maybe. Did they leave cause they were freakish practitioners of a alien sacrifice or pedobears? I dont know so I would like to know whats up first. Prisoners I could careless about. Stranded space travelers I would care about.

Quote:
sure, they had weapons, but again, they followed leadership. they are just unintelligent "worker bees", sans that one guy. and even if there were 1 million of you with nice weapons ... it didn't make them invincible. there could be a million of us stuck in some world with 6 billion people, that doesn't mean we would fight back. advanced weapons or not, we'd get our asses kicked. remember, human guns could still hurt them.
Disagree. Human beings are beings of adaptation. So we as a race would either adapt or die. Also they could breed. Remember the popping like popcorn? Again, worker bees defend the queen and the hive at all costs. Actually in the RSA yea it pretty much makes them invincible. After all, 2 guys were able to break into a heavily armored and defended building and then break out. Christopher has the ability to break into the compound, but not the capacity to be a leader? Clearly those weapons were highly superior as they took out an entire strike team and then some. And there were 3 million of them. Sans that one guy. Where was that one guy when **** started going down? Was he in the drop ship? You still dont know if that was a command module or a drop ship. You make the assumption that it was a command module. Too much of the time the timeline doesnt add up. If Christopher was around when **** started, why didnt he step up and say our ship is broken and we need help, we would like to leave. And if he wasnt around then, how did he come to learn what he knows? How did he find the transport? And think about this. The ship is there for 30 years and he spends 20 years trying to collect the fluid for his juice. How did he learn how to fix the ship in 10 years? How did he know it would it work? He was DAMN confident that it would work.

Quote:
why wouldn't you be sympathetic to their cause of living? what does that have to do with them getting there?
If they are "worker bees" as you say, they have nothing but an autonomous drive to work for the queen and protect the hive. They showed no level of intelligence what so ever. Why do I care about a bunch of autonomous drones? No reason. Unless you give me one.

Quote:
if your family came and got stuck in some town, and i have no idea why, but then everybody in my town stuck you guys into a slum and treated you like sh*t, i'd be sympathetic. especially if i find out people in my town were using some of your family in lab experiments, i'd be sympathetic. thus, again, why would i need to know where you came from?
None of the aliens had any idea that they were being used for experiments. And you just feel sympathy for sympathy's sake? What if my family were a bunch of murdering, raping, thieves who picked clean every town(planet) we showed up in by playing on your sympathy? You would feel sympathy for us without knowing who we were or where we were from? Yea sorry. I dont just feel sympathy for someone until I know whats up. I have no sympathy for prisoners. They deserve to be where they are. How do you know this isn't a prison ship?

Ironically, it is your very sympathy that creates the ghetto for them in the first place. They are brought down and nourished back to health by you, the sympathetic people, and then turn around and proceed to take advantage of the situation. So your sympathy is actually the catalyst to the problem, where as my skepticism would have gotten the answer to the question that would get them what they want. If that is truly what they want. As far as we the viewer know, only 3 of them want to go home. Yes that's right. Only Christopher and friends want to go home. So again, I ask, why should I feel sympathy for a bunch of welfare cases? Because other than Christoper, his dead friend and his kid, that's what the other 3 million are in this film. Welfare cases. Takes care of by the state and do nothing but destroy their own culture for their own profit. With no production to the greater cause.

Quote:
so really, if you have the power to analyze, you will see that the movie's plot was pretty damn good. especially for the crap that's been out this year, this movie is amazing.
So now you question my ability to analyze while you ignore an unfinished plot? And a pretty damn good plot has all the holes Ive asked about Very mature in discussing a movie that you are trying to sell as good. Insult the guy who has a differing opinion and question his ability to reason. This movie sucked donkey nuts. There are much better movies out there than this stink pile. Clearly one one of the worst movies of the summer that ranks right up there with GI Joe and Terminator 4. Compare a movie to other great movies and make your point on that. Great idea. Rather than base it on it being a good solid movie, you use a sliding scale of this was crap, so by default this is better and since I didnt see anything better, this is amazing. This is indisputable. You state it yourself right here:
Quote:
especially for the crap that's been out this year, this movie is amazing.
You want good movies? The Time Traveler's Wife, Julie and Julia, The Hangover, Star Trek, The Hurt Locker, 500 Days of Summer, Funny People, Whatever Works, Adam. So many that havent even been released yet like Ingorious Basterds and A Serious Man. All have less plot holes and far more sympathetic characters. Only 2 of those films had any hype behind them and I would argue that The Hangover is the lowest rated of those and the one with the most hype.

Quote:
if you can't figure something out, there are tons of forums talking about the movie. go look it up.
Are you serious? I now have to engage in a discussion on the internet forums riddled with guys like yourself who cant even address my issues with the movie without proceeding to ridicule my ability to reason and insult my intelligence? For what? So I can understand WTF is going on in a movie I just paid 12 bucks to see? No if I want to discuss WTF is up and the underlying themes and tone ok fine. But not in an effort to generate sympathy for unfinished characters in an incomplete movie.

None, NONE of the greatest movies need a forum to explain what is going on or "figure it out." At least not the plot. Great movies have the ability to have a discussion about the underlying themes and tones of the plot without having to first explain the plot or make up some idea about where the aliens the came from. Titanic, Casablanca, The Matrix, Gone with the Wind, Total Recall. No one questions the plot in these movies except maybe Total Recall. And with that movie its not so much about the holes in the plot vs analyzing the human experience of reality and technology. They analyze the underlying tones and themes without being bogged down by a BS plot that has more holes in it than sieve. District 9 is so obviously about race relations and the human condition. Its clear from the ads on the side of buses. Its just something that has been done time and time again. It doesnt bring anything new to the table. A quick search of the internet(your idea) reminded me of the fact that oh yea it was done before and called Alien Nation. Which as far as Im concerned reinforces the fact that this a bad movie.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
BDiddy is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
BDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 2,066
Images: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy crap!!! I went over the character limit. Rest of my argument is here:

So really, contrary to your belief, Ive analyzed the **** out of this movie and Ive still come to the conclusion that it sucks. Its unfinished. The plot holes are big enough to drive that spaceship through. And rather than acknowledge this, you are trying to defend a movie that is basically no different than ET(and possibly a direct rip off of Alien Nation, uess waht Im renting this week?) and making assumptions that you have NO idea if they are true or not. Why? I've got my theory. Its about being part of the minority. Most people will try to defend this being a good movie because deep down, they KNOW all detractors have the most valid and correct points. But its a movie about race relations(obviously) and therefore if you pretend to "get it" or claim to "get it" you are communicating to people that you are a master of race relations and more importantly a caring person. Something you seemed to be adamant about by your nonsensical ramblings about why you feel sympathetic and explaining to me why I should too. They are all alone and in a strange place and just want to go home!!! Dont you get it!!! Is basically what you are saying. I get it. Other than the just want to go home part. Only the 3 want to go. As far as we know. I know the plot point that is supposed to generate sympathy for the aliens. My point is that it doesnt work because it isnt fleshed out enough. Think about this. Do you feel sympathetic for the aliens knowing that they are a parasite species and basically want to be taken care of without contributing to the greater good and being productive? That they are a bunch of intergalactic welfare cases? Do you still feel good about that? This is my major problem with the movie and WHY the back story needs to fleshed out better. You have no reason to be sympathetic other than they are stuck and seem to require constant care. And that is not a reason to be sympathetic.


Lets look at some other movies. Total Recall. We are already sympathetic to Quaid because we think he got a brain raping but we become even more sympathetic when we realize that they guy he USED to be is a total ****. Its not until you watch the movie a couple times do you start to think WTF? Was the whole thing his "vacation?" After all, Melina IS the girl he describes and picks while getting his vacation implanted... Or is he actually a secret agent? And then you discuss that aspect of the movie, not if Quaid is a good guy. Not if Cohaagan is a ****. Not if Im supposed to feel bad for the Mars citizens. They clearly are what they are.

But lets not forget my other argument. That your sympathy for these aliens without knowing their story is what leads to the problem to begin with.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
BDiddy is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
OveRReV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Islas de Filipinas
Posts: 6,774
Images: 16
Thanks: 407
Thanked 396 Times in 337 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
another movie with a Quarantine & Kill plot, Hollywood has been churning out movies with that theme for the last few years now (Simpsons movie, the Happening, Quarantine etc.), don't you guys notice it especially when there's an outbreak of swine flu all over the world? i don't think it is a coincidence.


2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
OveRReV is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
BDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 2,066
Images: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cling View Post
I am a massively huge movie buff, and over the years they have really started to just bore the hell out of me because its all the same movie formula over and over again...
Are you really a film buff? Or are you are a guy who goes to the theater to watch alot of movies? Specifically Hollywood movies. I can tell because those are the movies you just described. Boring with the same plot. Smells like Hollywood to me. Now there is nothing wrong with that. Being "the movie guy" is fun for awhile, but please dont call yourself a film buff. You need to find your local independent theater and spend some time there. If you truly are a film buff, you will have a blast because they tend to not only have great films but also discussion groups about the films. For years I ignored my local indie theater since it never played anything I wanted to see, but now that I actually want to see film and not a movie I love that place. Notice that I did not use the term film and movie interchangeably. Please support your local indie theater if you are a film buff.

Have you seen movies like Brick, The Fall, Charlie Bartlett, Persepolis, Mrs Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Pan's Labrynth, Easy Virtue? Go and watch them. Order them on DVD. Do whatever you have to to see these movies. They are either indies or were flops at the box office. Charlie Bartlett was a movie that people didnt get. But Robert DOwney Jr is fantastic in this.

Quote:
I highly recommend the film to anybody that just wants to see something different and has a higher level of intelligence then the average human being that would rather go see movies like high school musical and band slam.
Besides a teenie bopper or a pedobear, who else would want to see high school musical and band slam? Seriously the BEST comparison you can come up with is to compare a hard R sci-fi movie to PG dance flicks designed to appeal to 10-15 year olds? Personally I think these comparisons only reinforce my point. This is the second time that movies created for teenagers are compared to District 9. Does anyone else find this amusing? I think it says more about the movies that you and Sc1be normally watch. In all fairness if I watched and was excited to see the Hannah Montana movie and the rest of the junk you guys compare this to, I guess I would also think this is a great movie.

Come on guys. Seriously. There is GOOD film out there you just have to work to find it.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
BDiddy is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
BDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 2,066
Images: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV View Post
another movie with a Quarantine & Kill plot, Hollywood has been churning out movies with that theme for the last few years now (Simpsons movie, the Happening, Quarantine etc.), don't you guys notice it especially when there's an outbreak of swine flu all over the world? i don't think it is a coincidence.
Whoa I may not like the movie, but at least get the concept right here...

In all fairness dude, its not a quarantine and kill plot. Its about race relations and relocation. The aliens do not have a human killing disease. Like I stated earlier I think that with RSA's recent history(District 6 anyone? 6/9 see the difference? Oh that writer... So creative. See how he flipped it?) this movie plays differently over there. But in the US its a tired old plot. Pick any group of people that have been put somewhere by their own choosing, by choice, by force or by dumb luck. Be it the Jews in WWII or the slums of India, the Native American Indians and their reservations, hell the slums of RSA and JoBurg. Its about the relocation of people and the waste of money on the non-producers and the social problems it creates.

Now add the plot of ET and thats District 9 in a nutshell. The only problem is that the message is not something we havent heard before and the plot has HUGE holes and unsympathetic characters with an incomplete story arc.

BTW, The Happening... I saw that stink bomb coming from a mile away. Hell that kid that Markey Mark teaches GIVES away the ending. If I paid attention and realized I would be talking about it, I would give you the exact time down to the second when when it happens. LOL! Sometimes its something beyond our ability to reason or understand. If you didnt know that was how the movie was going to end then you dont know anything about how poor a writer and director M Night Shamalyn has become.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy

Last edited by BDiddy; 08-19-2009 at 12:30 AM.
BDiddy is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
samion33s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah this movie was pretty good i got the bootleg version and was not happy i had to see it again in the theater not to bad ..... makes you think about alot of stuff and i am very happy with it!

oh i think the thread starter needs to put spoiler alert in the title!
samion33s is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
cling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 3,375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it just me or is this BDiddy guy just another a$$hole trying to push his opinion on others? You should run for office BDiddy... either that or you could STFU
cling is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
scr1be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston . mass
Posts: 785
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
actually, bdiddy, at this point, it's to each his own, because i'm not even going to sit and argue with you because you CLEARLY have your solid thoughts about the movie.

it has come to the same point with my friends and how i cannot stand their taste in movies. there's no point explaining why it was a good movie or not a good movie, because in the end, everybody has different tastes and perceptions.

for instance, i went to see GIJOE with 4 of my friends. they loved it. i wanted to leave halfway through.

i guess that's how it will always be. there will ALWAYS be people who like bad movies. and i guess "bad" is what i perceive of it and nobody else. so, really, i can't say they like "bad" movies.

oh, and just for the record bdiddy, here are a list of movies that i've enjoyed off the top of my head. i'm sure some you'll like, and some you won't, and that will always be the case with everybody. no two people will always love/hate the same movies.

the lion king
usual suspects
boondock saints
city of god
fight club
mystic river
zoolander
godfather 1+2
lord of the rings
terminator 2
21 grams
gattaca
the departed
american history x
blow
shawshank redemption
brick
requiem for a dream
trainspotting
good will hunting
300
gladiator
pan's labyrinth
monster
the italian job
the bourne series
gone baby gone
wall-e
iron man
the incredibles
dark night
monster's ball
40 year old virgin

recents: star trek, up, the hangover, i love you man.

still looking forward to see: julie and julia, 500 days of summer, inglourious bastards.


i saw the hurt locker, didn't like it.

Last edited by scr1be; 08-19-2009 at 09:31 AM.
scr1be is offline  
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
cling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 3,375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
saw the hurt locker, didn't like it.
I should slap you right in the face.

j/k, I like that somebody acknowledges the fact that each individual has their own perception of a good movie, and in their reality everybody else is either retarded or right on point!
cling is offline  
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
everyone has thier choice of movies. If they are all holywood then i dont see a problem with that. Its just like saying your not a music buff cause you only listen to the mainstream and not underground. If you think about it almost every movie or song is mainstream cause there are millions of people that heard or saw it. You dont have to only watch indie stuff to be a movie buff.

-Sam
Szm426 is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Kapture1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HUH, I f-in hated the movie. I almost got up and walked out, it was last Saturday n I had better stuff to do, but I stuck it out until the end. N no, Im a fan of good movies, i will not be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. I was the Goods last week, n loved it. that is a good movie for any fan of comedy Going to the Midnight showing of Inglorious Bastards tonight. will review tomorrow.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Kapture1 is offline  
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Too short to drag knee.
 
makct04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,484
Thanks: 399
Thanked 251 Times in 214 Posts
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i fell asleep half hour into the movie...

LRRS/CCS AM #521

makct04 is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
l0weed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alb.,NM
Posts: 922
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've seen worse.

~Loyd

Power corrupts.
Knowledge is power.
Study hard, be evil.

self-wife= bikes in near future again.
l0weed is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Yuu
Pocketbike Racer
 
Yuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: S.J.
Posts: 426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this movie was great. first like 45 min of the movie was like oook lets get to it, but of course they had to explain the story. then when $h!t hit the fan the movie was just rockin. cant wait to see Basterds.
Yuu is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
OlDirtyRobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South OC, CA
Posts: 374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
best movie of the summer, so far.

generally, people who dislike this movie are probably more into gijoe, hannah montana, or x-men origins: wolverine ... which were all awful movies.

imho.
hahaha you watched hannah montana :D
OlDirtyRobb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome