How'd I miss this? - 600RR.net
Movie / Music Reviews Got a great movie / CD you just saw/heard and want to let others know aobut it, post your comments here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How'd I miss this?

I stayed over at a friend of mine's place to help him look at a VFR in the morning. While we were deciding what to watch and scrolled through his collection, I saw a snapshot of Obi Wan on an ADV motorcycle!

Turns out Ewan and his friend Charley did two massive trips throughout the world:

One is the Long Way Round, and another Long Way Down. In Round, they take a BMW GS1200 and go from London to Manhattan through Europe, Asia (skipping between Siberia and the lower countries), ultimately to Alaska, through Canada, and finally into the US all the while experiencing local customs and culture and not simply riding by as tourists.

In Long Way Down, they basically do the same except now from Scotland through Europe, and through Africa down to Cape Town.

I'm still in the middle of Down series but the episodes are gold throughout. Give it a watch!

Trailers:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I've seen both and they are both great. Can't decide which i liked better lol.

You should also check out Mondo Enduro, it's about some british dudes who go all over the world on Suzuki DR 350s, they actually cover some of the same territory that Ewan and Charley did. Pretty cool to compare and contrast the two even though the movie is only an hour and a half.

By the way what happened with the VFR?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I came across those recently also, those are two great documentaries. It's always nice being able to appreciate others customs and see how welcoming people from other parts of the world can be to total strangers. And a lot of scenery is awe inspiring.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlap5150 View Post
I've seen both and they are both great. Can't decide which i liked better lol.

You should also check out Mondo Enduro, it's about some british dudes who go all over the world on Suzuki DR 350s, they actually cover some of the same territory that Ewan and Charley did. Pretty cool to compare and contrast the two even though the movie is only an hour and a half.

By the way what happened with the VFR?
I think the Round was a bit better, as the guys didn't have such a tight schedule and could diverge from a planned route when they pleased. That's reflected in the production style of the episodes too.

I don't know much about the VFRs except the V4 engine so I ended up just doing the basic look over to note any oddities. I had a chance to ride on a Honda Magna a few years back and remember that engine being creamy smooth and an all around pleasant power plant. The guy's bought it since so I'm looking forward to riding it soon.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
I think the Round was a bit better, as the guys didn't have such a tight schedule and could diverge from a planned route when they pleased. That's reflected in the production style of the episodes too.

I don't know much about the VFRs except the V4 engine so I ended up just doing the basic look over to note any oddities. I had a chance to ride on a Honda Magna a few years back and remember that engine being creamy smooth and an all around pleasant power plant. The guy's bought it since so I'm looking forward to riding it soon.

Yeah good point about Round, I agree but I thought the riding and scenery in Africa was amazing in Down. They should go back there on lighter bikes like 650s maybe.

Hope you guys enjoy the VFR! They are legendary bikes, I've had 3 happy and problem free years on mine. Depending on what year, be wary of electrical issues, there was actually a recall on the wire harness at one point. However if the bike doesn't have any electrical mods like heated grips or sockets then you should be good.

2007 CBR600RR
2002 VFR800
1996 XR400R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlap5150 View Post
Yeah good point about Round, I agree but I thought the riding and scenery in Africa was amazing in Down. They should go back there on lighter bikes like 650s maybe.

Hope you guys enjoy the VFR! They are legendary bikes, I've had 3 happy and problem free years on mine. Depending on what year, be wary of electrical issues, there was actually a recall on the wire harness at one point. However if the bike doesn't have any electrical mods like heated grips or sockets then you should be good.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll pass that info along. The bike is all stock minus givi panniers.

As for Down, it would be cool to see how much better the lighter bikes fare in sand.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Knee Dragger

thats awesome
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:55 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Amazing :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page