*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Rossi to Ducati

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...ssi-to-Ducati/
Quote:
MCN World Exclusive: Rossi to Ducati
By Matthew Birt - MotoGP 29 June 2010 16:39
Valentino Rossi will drop a transfer bombshell by quitting Yamaha to sign a shock deal with Ducati. Paddock insiders say the move might even be officially announced at the Catalunya GP this weekend.

The lucrative transfer finally became reality after long negotiations with Yamaha collapsed at the 11th hour.

A trusted insider told MCN that Rossi is walking out because of a dispute over the renewal of his multi-million pound contract and his refusal to continue racing with Jorge Lorenzo as his team-mate.

The senior MotoGP figure, who wanted to remain anonymous, said:

"I know for sure that Rossi will go to Ducati next season. The deal has been done. One month ago it seemed impossible to imagine this, but Rossi will be in red next year."
Discuss.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Even crash.net is talking about

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/161...catalunya.html

Rossi 2011 deal could be announced in Catalunya

The rumours, speculation and counter-speculation swirling around the future of record-breaking multiple MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi might finally be put to bed in Catalunya this weekend, it appears...
The debate over Valentino Rossi's future could be set to be cleared up as soon as this weekend's Catalan Grand Prix in Barcelona, a source close to Crash.net has hinted.

Varying media reports in recent weeks have had Rossi signing for Ducati Corse, staying put at FIAT Yamaha and then signing for Ducati again only this time with the carrot of some future Ferrari F1 test – and perhaps even race – outings thrown in for good measure, but still there has been nothing official to confirm. It appears fans may not have much longer to wait.

According to a paddock insider at Catalunya, the record-breaking multiple MotoGP World Champion has agreed terms with Ducati to join the Italian manufacturer from 2011 onwards, replacing Casey Stoner who looks to be Repsol Honda-bound. In the 31-year-old's place at FIAT Yamaha would graduate Ben Spies, who over the last two races at Silverstone and Assen has laid down a genuine marker with a podium finish and a fourth place for the satellite Tech 3 squad.

It is widely believed that Rossi's unwillingness to partner Jorge Lorenzo for another season – after issuing a dramatic if subsequently retracted ultimatum late last year that it would be either him or the Spaniard at FIAT Yamaha in 2011, with the bottom line being that the team wasn't big enough for the both of them – has hit an insurmountable stumbling-block in his employer's desire to retain the current runaway pace-setter's services, regarding him at just 23 years of age as the future, and indisputably a world champion in-the-making.

That, it would appear, was the final tipping-point for the Urbino native, and with Ducati having made no secret of its desire to poach 'The Doctor' away – and stumping up a big-money offer in its efforts to do so – Yamaha's immovable object has seemingly met Rossi's irresistible force and the fallout looks likely to leave the most successful rider of the modern era set for a future in red. Perhaps both on bikes and in cars.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
For me as a fan it would be awesome to see the Doctor in Red smoking the Yamas
and winning a championship for the Ducs i can see the headlines now the Doctor
on his DUC strikes again

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

It looks like one big shuffle this off season. Yamaha will still be formidable and Ducati obviously is gaining a lot here, but I don't think Honda gets any better with the addition of Stoner

Last edited by sincalirider; 06-30-2010 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh my.... happy about this. Finely going to be playing for the home team.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Why does Rossi hate Lorenzo so much?

2007 Black - Stolen
2007 Corona Honda CBR 600 race bike - Gone but not forgotten
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't say i'm all that shocked. Im sure alot of it has to do with Lorenzo and Rossi not liking each other. I doubt Yamaha cares all that much since Lorenzo is a fantastic rider. Ducati on the other hand as well as every Italian race fan must be over the moon about this decision(if its true). Should be interesting.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
MCN broke the news and that could mean out-right lie or "blowing stuff out of proportion" as they tend to do. However since Crash.net and twowheelsblog.com is running with it I am more apt to believe it. If it's true then it's kind of a shame that Rossi is leaving Yamaha since he's had so much success with them but on the other hand it's exciting to see him on an Italian bike and proving that he is the GOAT by winning on a third marquee.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine! he joked, adding I hope nobody wins! when asked about the race. - V. Rossi

WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange

post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Thats exciting! We already know Rossi owns on the Yamaha, he made the M1 the most competitive bike on the grid. Id love to see what kind of package Ducati can put together with Rossi and Burgess!

post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Id love to see what kind of package Ducati can put together with Rossi and Burgess!
Not so fast, it seems Burgess doesn't like the idea of leaving Yamaha:

Quote:
But Burgess is reluctant to see Rossi, who is currently sidelined with a broken leg, move to Ducati in 2011 and said: "My only plan is that I see myself working with Valentino at Yamaha until he stops racing bikes.
"I have anticipated for a while that Valentino would renew his contract there, or go to F1 if the third Ferrari is possible, but I don't know if anything has changed that.
"I enjoy working at Yamaha and it has been the most enjoyable period of my whole career in Grand Prix racing.
"I see no reason for me, and I hope Valentino, to walk away from seven years of successful work."
Link to full story

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine! he joked, adding I hope nobody wins! when asked about the race. - V. Rossi

WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange

post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Knee Dragger

If all this happens, Rossi to Ducati will be exciting to watch, but I'm not so excited about Stoner to Honda.
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
wow rossi is a bittch!! "im not going if hes gunna be there!!" sounds like my bittch friend and my other friend who hate eachother

09 black 250r : SOLD :(
2008 red 600rr
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Spies and Lorenzo on Yamaha's? whaaaaa

Rossi and Nicky on Ducatis? whaaaaaaaaa

Dani Pedrosa on a tricycle? whaaaaa!!!

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesNeedsBoost View Post
Dani Pedrosa on a tricycle? whaaaaa!!!
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange

post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM
OG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This will be great if it happens, but aren't there rules where teams cant sign and deal riders until the season is over. can they really announce this this early?

post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMANI View Post
This will be great if it happens, but aren't there rules where teams cant sign and deal riders until the season is over. can they really announce this this early?
can rumors and speculations be announced at any time?

absolutely

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
No real surprise..... I'm excited to see him own people on a third brand. Bonus is it opens up a spot for Spies. Bummed for Dovi though as he is an epic rider. Nicky goes way back into the shadows now... AGAIN...

The track is my crack.......................... lucky 7 - ra7or racing
"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

RIP Phatstud......... You will be missed.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMANI View Post
Rider contracts are usually signed by the end of July.

WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange

post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzorman1 View Post
No real surprise..... I'm excited to see him own people on a third brand. Bonus is it opens up a spot for Spies. Bummed for Dovi though as he is an epic rider. Nicky goes way back into the shadows now... AGAIN...

I think Rossi likes Nicky as a teammate again. If anything I would hope this means that Nicky could potentially get a better ride as Rossi fine tunes the Duc instead of Stoner bitching about what's wrong with the bike. Time will tell

post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Knee Dragger

can't believe I missed this, well good opportunity for Spies, all timing
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhaus11 View Post
can't believe I missed this, well good opportunity for Spies, all timing
that's what I thought.

bring on the GP literbikes!!! I have a feeling we might see guys like Melandri and Capirex (if he doesn't retire) be competitive again.

It's looking like Rossi, Lorenzo, Spies, and Stoner are all gonna be contenders.

post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Knee Dragger

next year is going to rock.

good thing too cuz this year is boring outside of seeing spies doing well lately on the satelite ride
post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cling View Post
Oh my.... happy about this. Finely going to be playing for the home team.

It would be awesome to have Rossi bring yet another manufacturer to the top, and prove once again more often than not it's not the bike, it's the rider. I think Rossi is looking back to old times with Hayden as well. Also a great shot for Elbows to take up were Valentino left off.

Good stuff, I like a shakeup now and then!

!!!!STOLEN!!!! 2007 CBR600RR "The Scalpel"
Goodrich & Galfer steel braided brake lines, KR tuned slip-on, Michelin Pilot Pure's, Puig Racing Screen, Shogun no cut sliders, Minute Maid frame plugs, ProGrip grips, TechSpec tank grips.

post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
give it a few weeks and we'll know where the riders will end up after they sign and things are in black n white

Mayo!!!
post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Awesome is all i have to say. Next year will be better than this. Spies ftw
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It will depend on how well Jeremy Burgess gets along with Claudio and the Ducati engineers. Back in 2004, Yamaha was desperate to have a competitive machine. They listened to JB and Rossi on changes to the engine (5-valves per cylinder to 4-valves) and changes to the chassis (removing a cross member in the rear mount for more "flex"). Will Ducati be open to someone "from the outside" telling them, "You got to ditch the CF frame and go to aluminum casting?" Will they listen to someone telling them, perhaps, "The Desmo system won't give us the kind of power we need?"

I think if everyone plays nice, you have some of the most gifted engineers and team people that can build a great bike. Nicky and Rossi share a lot of similarities in riding style and I think you'll see Ducati build a dominant machine like the RC211V back in the day. Again, if everyone plays nice, we can see some really great developments from Ducati. The great thing about Ducati is that they're small and the turn-around is really quick. Being in Europe, parts can be shipped overnight to the tracks. This also bodes well for the 1000cc project.

BUT, all of this so far is speculation because there hasn't been any official confirmation. It could be Rossi mind-games in order to get Yamaha to bend on their demands. At the end of the day, Lorenzo hasn't truly proven anything. He beat Rossi twice, heads up this season, but has yet to win a World Championship. Rossi of course has done that many times over. That being said, a Lorenzo/Spies line-up is still very strong.

You know, if Rossi/JB do move to Ducati, the beneficiary is Nicky Hayden. If there was another rider JB wanted to work with, it was Nicky. When Rossi was rumored to go to Yamaha, JB was thinking he was staying at Honda and was going to switch over to help Nicky. If JB doesn't retire after Rossi goes to F1, I would love to see a Nicky/JB combination.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Its not easier to ride, but I dont need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I too am excited to see how things shake up. Nicky Hayden will definitely benefit from this swap since he has dropped off since Honda. Spies will definitely bring a lot to the table stepping up to FIAT and Lorenzo is a very good rider. I think it will be interesting to see what Stoner can do on a Honda since it is a very good machine, maybe it will end up a better combination for him. It will also be interesting on the 1000cc machines. Lots of changes.

This just reminds me of when Rossi wanted to change tires to be more competitive against Stoner.
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

look what is cropping up on the interwebs..

Photoshopped of course, but just think...could be an actual shot next year.

post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio_hann17 View Post
I too am excited to see how things shake up. Nicky Hayden will definitely benefit from this swap since he has dropped off since Honda.
Nicky's problem hasn't been his departure from Honda. It has been the introduction of the 800s. In 2007, Honda repaid his efforts for taking the crown in 2006 by making a bike that only a midget (Pedrosa) would fit on.

2008 saw Honda's indecisiveness with engine configuration, the Michelin Meltdown (literally) and a run of bad luck.

Honda's GP Program is a mess. They've pretty much run the gamut of parts and are typically unable to decide what to run. Pneumatic vs. Spring, New chassis vs. old chassis, Michelin vs. Bridgestone, Showa vs. Ohlins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page