!!!SPOILER -- MotoGP 2010 (Round 13) - Aragon (Times & Discussion) -- SPOILER!!! - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
!!!SPOILER -- MotoGP 2010 (Round 13) - Aragon (Times & Discussion) -- SPOILER!!!

Race Results

1. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 42m 16.53s
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 42m 21.678s
3. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 42m 26.026s
4. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Fiat Yamaha Team 42m 26.11s
5. Ben Spies USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 42m 30.301s
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team 42m 43.86s
7. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 42m 45.041s
8. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 42m 51.784s
9. Marco Melandri ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 42m 51.923s
10. Aleix Espargaro ESP Pramac Racing 42m 51.997s
11. Hector Barbera ESP Paginas Amarillas Aspar 42m 52.052s
12. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 43m 1.89s
13. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Interwetten Honda MotoGP 43m 4.849s
14. Mika Kallio FIN Pramac Racing 43m 14.577s

DNF:
Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team
Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP

Here are some interesting tidbits to say and confirm:

1) Stoner's big revelatory change in geometry and settings? A tweaked version of Nicky's settings for the GP10. Stoner has also changed his body positioning, but it probably has more to do with the settings than the body position. If you ask Stoner, he'll say it's body position. But if you ask anyone else, he's using Nicky's settings. Incidentally, this is the one thing that Wayne Gardner thinks is Stoner's biggest problem: Bike development and set-up.

2) The Yamahas looked like they were down on power, but if you look at the top speed charts, the Ducati and the Yamaha were within 1 kph of each other. Here are the top speeds: Casey (319.8), Nicky (319.6), Jorge (319.5), Spies (318.8). Rossi was up at 320.1, while Edwards was even higher at 321.3. However the little rocket Dani was riding had only the THIRD fastest speed (325.3) behind Barbera (325.9) and Aoyama (325.7). Dovizioso's bike wasn't THAT much faster than Spies (322.4), but Spies did a heck of a job holding Dovi off on the brakes and taking up space.

3) Lorenzo has used 5 engines thus far. Three are binned completely. Two are lugging. He has one more that he says he will pull out for Motegi and the remaining races. He said he will use the engine for races because apparently, it's a sweet engine -- one that has a bit more power to it. The Asian rounds will need it with the kinds of straights and slow corners they have. Even so, the big problem this past weekend for Jorge was that, even though the bike was only marginally slower than the Ducati, it's suffering for traction (i.e. wheel spin) which is hurting drive.

4) Aragon suited the Ducati the best because of two reasons: 1) The Ducati is a lot easier on the tires. With all that Honda grunt, it just tears up tires. If there's one thing that Dani has yet to demonstrate is his ability to ride quickly on used tires. 2) Aragon basically had new tarmac all over, read: it was smooth. No crazy bumps to deal with = Ducati friendly. Nicky mentioned that it was a track that suited his and Stoner's style as well.

5) Rossi has said that he may skip the last two races of the season to get shoulder surgery. It was obvious that Rossi's shoulder was hampering him as it has all season. Two things come to mind: 1) I think there needs to be a contractual agreement with riders to avoid these activities that may hinder their ability to fulfill their professional duties. Many riders are resorting to motorcross because there has been a reduction of testing. They need more testing! 2) Me thinks that Rossi is playing the mind games with Yamaha:

"Let me test in Valencia on the Ducati, or I will stop racing to get surgery two races early."

Ball is in your court Yamaha...

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
what a race. I jumped outta my seat for Hayden and Spies on that last lap.
Best race this season I think.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
... 4) Aragon suited the Ducati the best because of two reasons: 1) The Ducati is a lot easier on the tires. With all that Honda grunt, it just tears up tires. If there's one thing that Dani has yet to demonstrate is his ability to ride quickly on used tires ...
Too bad Dani had a wobble at the start. It would have been a great battle for 1st.

"You could hang yourself faster with your tongue than with a rope"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesNeedsBoost View Post
what a race. I jumped outta my seat for Hayden and Spies on that last lap.
Best race this season I think.
I must agree with you... loved how Lorenzo went straight back to his trailer after the race... then later tweeted that he was followed the whole time (whatever that means)...

"its one of those backdoor moves you put on your kid brother"- Hayden...when asked about the pass he made on 99...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

What do you guys think about the black flagged rider in the 125 race???

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Demented

It's kinda strange how Ducati's MotoGP bike sucks so much on bumpy tracks, but their superbikes are typically better on bumpy tracks.
Lorenzo probably **** himself when Hayden passed him. I don't think he could have pulled it off any better.

I really think Rossi just needs to put the rest of the season on hold now and fix his shoulder. No point in continuing to ride and doing more damage to it. Yamaha might not like it, but it gives them a chance to have Crutchlow wild car since the WSBK season is nearly over. Unless Yamaha want to be pricks about it, prevent Rossi from getting better, just so that they can feel better about themselves if Rossi gets beaten by them on a Ducati.

Bobble or not, I don't think Dani wold have been able to hang with Stoner. All weekend it looked like Stoner was out for blood. I wonder if the Ducati chassis is just too stiff with all of that carbon fiber.

The 125 race was awesome.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

I'll post something about the Crutchlow situation tomorrow. I just wanted to say something really quick about the Ducati chassis. It's ot that it's too stiff. The problem is geometry. The geometry doesn't allow the bike to be settled over bumps, making the front very nervous. The longer stroke forks from the 09 don't give so much bump absorption as the fork travel brings the overall bike into the right geometry. Nicky has been chasing this geometry all season. Before this race, the team in Bologna Nicky's data and brought it to Aragon as revised settings. Obviously it worked!

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Regarding Cal Crutchlow's participation this year as a wild-card or something, should Rossi choose to end his season early, and Ben's succession to the factory team...

Ben has finished the requisite requirements that would allow him to assume the seat. He couldn't earlier in the season because he hadn't started enough races under contract (I believe 8-9 races). At this point, it is a very real possibility. However, I don't think that there'd be any benefit for Ben to be on the factory team at this time. The bikes are very similar, particularly after Indy. It would be a zero-sum move.

To make way for Crutchlow, this is an interesting prospect. Crutchlow does NOT have a contract that is valid and could be called in to do a wild-card. However, I think that he turned down the prospect to race at Valencia because an agreement was made to give him 3 days of off-site testing on the M1. Given the choice between preparing for a race on the M1 and uninhibited testing, Crutchlow chose the reduced pressure environment of testing. Felt he could learn more at his pace in testing rather than in a race.

If Crutchlow gets on early, he may not get the opportunity to test as per the agreement. I think Rossi issued this "ultimatum" (of sorts) because he doesn't expect Yamaha to let him test at the end of the year (which I think is a bunk move by Yamaha). As such, Rossi is really looking out for #1 at this point. Why jeopardize his health any further, delaying recovery if he can jump off the bike, get the surgery and be at full strength by the first winter test? It's a win-win for Rossi. He either gets to test, or he gets early surgery.

Because of the limitations with the Crutchlow situation, there is really nothing to gain by having a vacant seat, especially when the constructor's championship is on the line, even if the rider's championship looks like a near-lock...

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

THat black flagged rider in 125 cc was coming in too hot IMO...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page