An end of Yamaha's dominance? - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Demented

An end of Yamaha's dominance?

It seems Yamaha has finally gotten rid of everything that made them what they were. Rossi, Furusawa, and Burgess are gone, but Yamaha just announced today that Brivio (Yamaha team boss since 2002) is being replaced.

2012 will be an interesting year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 WILL be an interesting year. i look forward to that!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

any speculation on 2011? honda came back REAL strong in the last half of the year.... little too late but they've been going fast recently, good setup for next year? although with jorge and ben spies left i wonder if yamaha can still win? i hope ben can go to the top. again i think 2012 will turn the tide towards the americans. FINGERS CROSSED! i don't think rossi will do anything miraculous, he usually pulls magic tricks whenever theres a format change and everyone has to adapt, cool guy though. we'll see. i'll be at laguna this coming year!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why does this news make 2012 interesting? Will Brivio not leave until then?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

2012 will be a switch back to 1000cc's (from current 800). Should favor americans who weren't raised on metrakits and moriwakis. I would like the think 800--->1000 would also mean more rider less computer but we'll see.... prob not :'(
also it will allow production based motors like the suter s1000rr to be entered which will make a larger, hopefully more competitive and cheaper field. we'll see. 800cc machines suck, i wish they'd do away with electrics
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Forgot about the switch back to 1k. Def agree with less elec more rider and ALWAYS want to see Americans on top.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Demented

The 1000cc switch is mostly why. Yamaha is losing their team of engineers, mechanics, rider and what ever uber roll Burgess is that developed the M1 to what it is today, and the manager who made it all happen and knows the process.

Now they're going to have JLo who has absolutely no big bike experience (800cc MotoGP vs the old 990 MotoGP and what will be the new Moto1 1000s' is like comparing a 600cc supersport bike to a 1000cc superbike), Ben Spies who has absolutely no developmental skills and more than likely will not know the ins and outs of a MotoGP bike next year enough to help develop, a green team engineer who's coming from WSBK, another green WSBK rider, and Colin Edwards who's only signed for 2011.

Yamaha's best bet for a good 1000cc bike is having Edwards on the factory team developing the 1000cc bike, but we all know how unlikely that is.

It's kinda like when HRC lost Rossi and a lot of their engineering team and made the switch over to having a bike for Pedrosa and Puig. They didn't get the ball rolling until this year when they stole some of Yamaha's electronics guys.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'd love to see Rossi kick some ass next season on the duc (like he did his first year at Yamaha) but I dont think it'll happen until 2012. When Rossi joined Yamaha their bike wasnt as competitive as Ducati is now...but IMO the other riders werent as competitive either.
Should be an interesting season next year and I think 2012 will be much better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedisFaster View Post
I'd love to see Rossi kick some ass next season on the duc (like he did his first year at Yamaha) but I dont think it'll happen until 2012. When Rossi joined Yamaha their bike wasnt as competitive as Ducati is now...but IMO the other riders werent as competitive either.
Should be an interesting season next year and I think 2012 will be much better.
2004 had some really competitive people. More so then there are currently in MotoGP.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
It seems Yamaha has finally gotten rid of everything that made them what they were. Rossi, Furusawa, and Burgess are gone, but Yamaha just announced today that Brivio (Yamaha team boss since 2002) is being replaced.

2012 will be an interesting year.
Just to clarify, although Furusawa is forced to retire due to mandatory retirement age laws in Japan, Yamaha is not terminating his services nor is he ready to quit his involvement with racing. All reports point to him continuing his role in Yamaha under the a new title as a consultant/advisor. - crash.net

Brivio although by title was "Team Manager" on Rossi's side of the Garage (not Team Boss?) The reality is he was Rossi's personal manager & liaison with Yamaha. How will his departure affect development of the M1? I don't know but I would hazard a guess minimal.

I think the term 'gotten rid' is inaccurate
- Furusawa is being retained,
- Burguess has chosen a new challenge with Rossi are Ducati
- Brivio has chosen a new challenge exclusively managing riders
- Only Rossi can claim to have been given the cold shoulder/and even that is a dubious claim seeing how much respect/affection Furusawa has for him.

I also want to point out that what made Yamaha change course was not only a change in rider (Rossi) and Mechanics (Burgess + team) but a fundamental change in the Factory as well. Yamaha racing division increased their in-house man power by two fold the year Rossi joined and deverted a lot of funds to the project (similar to Ducati deverting WSBK efforts to MotoGP). They also increased there partnership with Toyato racing and gained valuable information from Toyotas F1 racing expertise. That brain trust is still intact and will contiue to be involved in developing the M1. Although there is one person sitting on top of the bike there is a VAST team of people behind the effort that create the bike the rider is sitting on. I say this NOT as a Rossi detractor or a Yamaha fan but as someone that is often in the back end developing equipment that often goes unoticed by the general public.

2011 + 2012 will be very intersting adjustments for Yamaha, Honda, Ducati and all top riders for various reasons.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
2004 had some really competitive people. More so then there are currently in MotoGP.
i think that everyone is still really competitive, it's just hidden by electronics. **** electronics, it's taken the rider away
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEIKO0713 View Post
i think that everyone is still really competitive, it's just hidden by electronics. **** electronics, it's taken the rider away
I agree, the field is still very competitive but the gap between full factory support and leased bike has widened to such a point that a good rider on a non factory bike has almost no chance of winner a race let alone fighting for the championship. And that is due to the cost/role of electronics.

An intresting quote: "According to the Japanese manager, if engine performance in 2004 was 80% related to mechanics and 20% to electronics, the situation has almost reversed completely, with 60% being of performance now tied to electronics and 40% to mechanical factors." - Furusawa

If your interested a good read on Electronics in MotoGp Link Link

Last edited by BehindTheGreenDoor; 11-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTheGreenDoor View Post
I say this NOT as a Rossi detractor or a Yamaha fan but as someone that is often in the back end developing equipment that often goes unoticed by the general public.
Do tell....especially with the screen name you've chosen.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

“Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine!” he joked, adding “I hope nobody wins!” when asked about the race. - V. Rossi

WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page