Ben Spies - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ben Spies

Do you guys think it's time for us to start seeing better results from Spies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Knee Dragger

Personally I think Ben should have stayed in WSBK. He seems timid and scared every weekend in GP. He just kinda hangs out where he started and thats it, hes not aggressive like he was in SBK and doesnt really push it, atleast last season he Podiumed and he was a Satellite rider last year. I like Spies but hes riding like a P****.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac1981 View Post
Personally I think Ben should have stayed in WSBK. He seems timid and scared every weekend in GP. He just kinda hangs out where he started and thats it, hes not aggressive like he was in SBK and doesnt really push it, atleast last season he Podiumed and he was a Satellite rider last year. I like Spies but hes riding like a P****.
What the hell for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
He definitely needs to step it up. He seems to get some good starts(last year as well) and then goes backward...

-Bite is Bigger-
my BITE is BIGGER than your BARK
wanna find out?

*LeoVince*ASV*Driven*RK*Galfer*VORTEX*Shogun*DDM*B ridgestone*
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 AM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

fark , guys the step up to M.gp from wsbk is massive, these guys are some of the greatest of all time and are on the razors edge of moto.

ben just needs a season to get used to the tracks the bike how to set this bike up for him on these tracks, the way to use the tires and get a bike with the HP to mix it with the top5 freaks,

hell even JL is having a tough time fighting with the repsols at times and he won the thing last year

let ben have his intermediate year , get used too all of this maddness and then mount a decent challenge next year at getting on the podium, regularly , although, i have faith he will top 3 at seca...

IGOT new stuff ...disco helped me good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Yes, I agree 100%, Canon Cameras SUCK! .
The Following User Says Thank You to gee For This Useful Post:
FlipDiver79 (05-16-2011)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I think today's race showed that he's not having a good year thus far - especially considering Colin and Cal qualified ahead of him on the grid. Maybe he just doesn't get along well with this track but so far this season it seems like there's something he just can't get to work.

'07 CBR 600 RR - Red Konica Minolta
Southern California - Orange County
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 AM
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Def expected him to be better thus far, however his first season in Moto GP (last season) i thought was a success, im sure he'll turn it around at some point :)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I will wait until he throws his leg back over a 1000cc machine before I judge. Hell the dude hasn't had a "bad" season (If you count rookie of the year as "bad") until now. I'm not gonna hate just because of some poor luck. Jerez was misfortune. There were known issues with the Wets they were using. He simply lost it and it could happen (and happened) to the best of them. Estoril, well, being on a factory team it seems inexcusable for a mistake such as leaving tools on the bike, to be made. As avoidable as that was, it caused him to wreck.

This season is all sorts of weird, the field has been turned upside down. With the Hondas running like a Cheetah on PCP, Rossi struggling on the Ducati, and the Yamahas showing their weakness, this season is pretty interesting.

And next season, depending on who all shows up to the party, should be one hell of a free for all. I expect to see Ben start showing his true talent increasingly over the rest of the season and really coming into the competition next year.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I think Ben has yet to come to terms with the electronics of the factory Yamaha. During FP2, they were showing some shots from the left clipon of somebody (either stoner or jl), and they were ripping it open while holding serious lean angles. From all the riding I have done, that is a sure way to end up on the deck. But, that is the way you have to ride these things. You have to trust that the electronics are going to work.

Once Ben gets confidence in that, we will be faster than he is today. He won't, however, beat the Hondas this year. They have put together a seriously nasty package. Stoner is going to end up 50 points clear of everyone by the end of the year. I heard Yamaha has a new 800cc engine ready for Brno, but it will be too late by then. Ducati is obviously going to work on the chassis and wait for the 1000cc era to challenge for the title. I hate to say it, but this season is over.

Luckily, Moto2 is as good as ever. Bradl, Marquez, Luthi, Ianonae (sp?)...All of them can win. WSS and Moto2 are easily the best classes of racing to watch.

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermoose1 View Post
Once Ben gets confidence in that, we will be faster than he is today. He won't, however, beat the Hondas this year. They have put together a seriously nasty package. Stoner is going to end up 50 points clear of everyone by the end of the year. I heard Yamaha has a new 800cc engine ready for Brno, but it will be too late by then. Ducati is obviously going to work on the chassis and wait for the 1000cc era to challenge for the title. I hate to say it, but this season is over.
Honestly, regardless of what it looks like, 4 rounds in is way too early to ever call a season over. Lorenzo is still leading after all.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer

you know when you go to a bar and there are those douche bags that are watching a fight and criticizing a fighter and say "what he should have done"? you're like, "really?", you're going to criticize a professional fighter who's trained his entire life and spends most of his time becoming the best he can and doing anything possible to beat their planned opponent? you're going to sit there and tell a silva or gsp what they "should have done" from the comfort of your bar stool while slamming beers and cheesy fries? really fatass?

yep, it's like that. you guys go ahead and judge ben spies. a man whose pinky alone could somehow beat any of us in a race. spies is the man, if it doesn't work out it was meant to be that way. i'm going to take a wild guess and say he probably doesn't go to a round and say "ya know, i'm going to give... maybe 1/2 today... yeah, i'm just going to cruise".

i wish the best for spies, spies and edwards reprasentin' tejas!

/rant
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
or when they say, I could beat him! cheesy fries
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I think he will do better on the liter GP bikes
The midgets have too much advantage on the 800cc bikes

Plus he needs time on the tracks he hasn't ridden or hasn't ridden much to get used to them
How do you do on new tracks ?
I know I suck til I get to know them very very well

Couldn't believe the mechanics screwed up his bike in the last round
Those guys are supposed to be the best motorcycle mechanics in the world....shouldn't make stupid mistakes like that !!!

I just wish I was 1/2 as good of a rider as Spies - or any of those GP guys !

63 and still having FUN !!
#737 BK Racing - CMRA
Sponsors- Dallas Honda, Impact Safety Armor

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermoose1 View Post
I think Ben has yet to come to terms with the electronics of the factory Yamaha. During FP2, they were showing some shots from the left clipon of somebody (either stoner or jl), and they were ripping it open while holding serious lean angles. From all the riding I have done, that is a sure way to end up on the deck. But, that is the way you have to ride these things. You have to trust that the electronics are going to work.
I also see this as a valid point. And after getting an in depth tour behind the scenes, its a bit rediculous and makes you wonder how riders would do on even playing fields without all the electronics.

Ben was a master of backing it in, and being his own traction control. And you simply cant do that on these bikes.

I was told by a rider when they came into GP they were recording 6 parameters for telemetry, and now they are measuring over 200, several times a second. Going behind the garages and seeing the bank of 5 laptops each with a Japanese engineer monitoring all this telemetry is something else. I admitedly only in the past two years got into GP but I have been going back and watching the "Classics" videos on motogpdotcom and THAT was fun racing. Sure the machines still played a roll in things but it was more of riders skill against each other.

And im not trying to prove exactly what unanswered was talking about people sitting back and talking ****, merely pointing out some of my uninformed opinions. I respect ANY rider that makes it to any level of competitive racing, let alone GP...because I...well Im a nobody.

I cant be the only one that hates seeing a field stacked as it was this past weekend? I mean 4 Hondas, then 4 yamahas, then the Ducs? There should be more competition than that.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I wouldnt say that I'm dissapointed with Spies' performance at all. There are lots of great riders that have made the move from WSB and failed. I was really hoping to see him fight for the podium this season but considering the motoGP lineup I think he's been holding his own.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Pocketbike Racer

1. I am always surprised when the move to the 1000cc is heralded as a game changer that will level the playing field. The move to 1000cc will not change much in the way that the bikes currently operate due to the massive influence of electronics and current fuel restrictions. As long as fuel consumption is restricted there will only be 1 fastest line around the track and the only way to manage fuel will remain electronics. Case in point the recent Honda 1000cc test

"A crucial point with the 1000cc engine will be fuel consumption, as again in 2012 bikes will keep the 21 litre tank as per the 800cc machines. To deal with this issue, Repsol recently sent experts to Japan to develop a specific fuel and lubricant for the new bike and engineers at the Repsol Technology Centre are focusing on a fuel which will not only offer optimum fuel efficiency but also deliver maximum performance." - link

2. I scoffed during testing this season when Ben was heralded as the next alien but I feel the exact same way now when he is being dismissed as under performing for the same reason. Its only his second year and its only been 4 races. In two races he encountered problems that were almost completely out of his control (I saw almost because his team mate managed to do a better job conserving his tires). Ben will win races maybe even a championship, but not this season probably not next (for the reasons mentioned above) but he definitely has all the tools in hand to make it happen.

Just for reference:
-It took Nicky 2 years (41 races) to win a race while riding a factory bike
-It took Nicky 3 years to win a GP championship
-It took Jorge 3 years to win a GP championship
-Pedrosa has yet to win a GP championship in 5 yrs (And he is Certified Alien Fast)
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Just to toss more fuel on the fire... I read a comment from a reporter that covers all of the MotoGP races live that there are whispers of some 'behind the scenes' issues that are contributing to Ben's performance so far this year. He would only say that it's not 'race related' and that he thought the story would be coming out before long.

Probably just the usual rumor mongering by the media but they guy is usually on the up and up. Yet something else to add to the off-track drama that MotoGP seems to have going this year.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Like CNI said, the midgets do have an advantage anyways on the 800s, Hell Pedrosa is 5'3 and 115 lbs, but on that note, the REPSOLS are KILLING this year, Honda put together a crazy combo. I also do agree that he will do better when he gets comfortable with the electronics, but I still as a whole think hes timid. He rode last year and seemed more aggressive and harder charging, this year so far hes seemed to hold it off a bit when he gets up close on the rear of someone. Hes still a GREAT rider and prob one of the best in the world regardless, just hopefully he gets after it a little harder in the coming weeks
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Knee Dragger

Also, I kinda feel like with GP going up to the 1000s again, that since the bikes will be more powerful and faster, that the same thing will happen that did with NHRA a few years back. The Cars were going too fast and GoodYear couldnt make a tire that would hold up, drivers were getting seriously injured and killed in crashes, so NHRA had to slow down the Fuel Cars to they mandated a maximum fuel/NitroMethane ratio, added restricter plates and cut the quarter mile back to 1000 ft for the Fuel Cars. I think GP is going to end up doing the same thing when the bikes are going too fast and guys are getting hurt....Just my opinion, and my idea, I might be wrong, It has happened before (you married guys back me up on that one)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

I never bought into the midget theory nonsense. The 'midgets' that are winning are just good riders, period. Casey and Pedrosa both proved they were great riders in their rookie seasons on 990s. Lorenzo probably would have been good too if he rode a 990.

Rossi is not a midget. Ben is not a midget. And Simoncelli is the biggest dude there and he's been giving the 'midgets' a lot of grief.

Will some riders do a little better on 1000s? Maybe. But I don't think it's at all because the 'midgets' currently have too much of an advantage over them.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Are you kidding? I think he is doing awesome!

He needs time to learn the tracks, what new rider didn't? Did you forget Rossi's first few years of crashes.

Give him another year next year will be the true judge.

VR46 by my whore Sinny! Love you.

http://www.facebook.com/VR46LVR
RIP PHATSTUD...GODSPEED
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Are you kidding? I think he is doing awesome!

He needs time to learn the tracks, what new rider didn't? Did you forget Rossi's first few years of crashes.

Give him another year next year will be the true judge.
Learn the tracks? That was last year.

He's on the factory team now, he needs to produce.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac1981 View Post
Also, I kinda feel like with GP going up to the 1000s again, that since the bikes will be more powerful and faster, that the same thing will happen that did with NHRA a few years back. The Cars were going too fast and GoodYear couldnt make a tire that would hold up, drivers were getting seriously injured and killed in crashes, so NHRA had to slow down the Fuel Cars to they mandated a maximum fuel/NitroMethane ratio, added restricter plates and cut the quarter mile back to 1000 ft for the Fuel Cars. I think GP is going to end up doing the same thing when the bikes are going too fast and guys are getting hurt....Just my opinion, and my idea, I might be wrong, It has happened before (you married guys back me up on that one)
you never saw the 2 smoke 80's did you?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Learn the tracks? That was last year.

He's on the factory team now, he needs to produce.

Your absolutely right, one weekend on each track on a GP bike is more than enough to compensate for the fact that the majority of the grid has been racing those tracks since they were 14 years old....

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Carl's rookie season and both he and Colin out qualified Ben, 2 satellite yamaha's ahead of a factory Yamaha does not look good. He needs to step it up or Carl maybe in his seat next year. I hope that doesn't happen and hopefully this next swing of races will see him at the front.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

That what happens when you play with the Big Boys!!! You have to hit the ground running. Nobody is asking for podium our victories, but at least some aggressiveness. I think he's been too passive. Feels like he hangs out there and prays for the best.

Ben's interviews go like:
Well, I'm happy with xxx place. We have work to do and blah blah blah...

Hayden's [who isn't doing much better] intereviews go like:
No, I'm not happy with xxxx place. We need to improve, this is ridiculous.

Look at Marco Simoncelli. First GP in 2010. He isn't winning, but he's being a PITA. I don't like the guy, but man!!!!!! Of course the Hondas are flying this season but I'd love to see Ben doing much better.

Let's wait until the second half of the season!!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:40 AM
World Superbike Racer

I don't think there's a difference in motivation between Hayden and Spies.

As far as the quotes on what places they might typically be happy with, Nicky has been at this game much longer than Ben. Since 2003. He's in his 9th season, has 3 wins, and 1 world title. You're damn right he's not happy finishing down the order. He shouldn't be.

Ben is still new in his 2nd year and 1st on the factory team. He's still learning and can afford to say top 5 or whatever is OK although results are expected from him now. So we'll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page