Why is the AMA and SBK so different in bike winners? - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why is the AMA and SBK so different in bike winners?

Seems strange to me- in AMA Superbike, the Suzuki GSXR1000's seem to have dominance whereas in World SBK they suck. And in World Supersport, the Yamahas and Hondas do the best but in AMA, there's probably not a Honda CBR600 in the series! And what's wrong with Triumph 675? Not enough development? No money from the factory? All of the above? Who doesn't love a British triple....?

As 4 Non Blondes sung: "What's Going On?"

"If your wheels are off, answer to your God but me, I'll be up and gone. I'll be up and long gone..." Robin Trower, "Little Bit of Sympathy 1972

"Veni, Vidi, Vici." Julius Ceasar (I came, I saw, I conquered)

"Nana Korobi- Ya Oki" Japanese Bushido saying- "Get knocked down seven times, get up eight!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
American Honda is no longer involved in AMa like they used to be. Little to no factory involvement is in AMA anymore.

Not all bikes have factory support in WSBK either. Suzuki has scaled back there involvement a bunch. There's ONE Suzuki in WSBK this year, as opposed to last year, 3 of them in 08. And that's just Francis' Batta's factory supported team. Privateers used to use the Suzuki as well, same with Honda. Not anymore or at least not now.

What bikes are winning in production series has everything to do with factory invovlement or lack there-of. In the case of AMA, there's not much factory support for any bike so it's pretty much, pick a bike, build it, go racing. Suzuki and Yamaha are popular choices.

If someone (a shop like Graves) in AMA wanted to run CBRs competitively again, they could do it. Just need a good team. In WSBK, probably not gonna happen without factory involvement. Those bikes these days are closer to MotoGP bikes than the production bikes they're supposed to be based on... I would like to see more Hondas in AMA again soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

Last edited by Kurosaki; 06-21-2011 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
Not all bikes have factory support in WSBK either. Suzuki has scaled back there involvement a bunch. There's ONE Suzuki in WSBK this year, as opposed to last year, 3 of them in 08. And that's just Francis' Batta's factory supported team. Privateers used to use the Suzuki as well, same with Honda. Not anymore or at least not now.
Factory support, used very loosely. Are they actually supplying new parts this year vs. last?

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbutt View Post
Seems strange to me- in AMA Superbike, the Suzuki GSXR1000's seem to have dominance whereas in World SBK they suck. And in World Supersport, the Yamahas and Hondas do the best but in AMA, there's probably not a Honda CBR600 in the series! And what's wrong with Triumph 675? Not enough development? No money from the factory? All of the above? Who doesn't love a British triple....?

As 4 Non Blondes sung: "What's Going On?"

The Suzuki of Leon Haslam finished 2nd in the WSBK Championship last year, and their sole entry is currently 7th this year (ahead of the factory Hondas, and just behind the lead factory BMW). That's hardly sucking. As for AMA, in Pro Supersport West, a CBR600RR is second in the points, and Tyler Odom is racing a CBR600RR in Daytona Sportbike (although privately funded and not doing well). Much like most race series, factory supported teams have the budget to develop the bike the most and attract the best riders. If you had watched last week's Daytona Sportbike race, you would have noticed that Cameron Beaubier on a non factory R6 was almost 10 MPH slower on the straights than Aquino's Graves prepared bike.

As for the 675, it's still a work in progress. Some of the newer European sportbikes (675, and BMW S1000RR) are still working out issues and seem to have a problem putting power to the ground without decimating the rear tire. If you watched any of the WSS races last year, you would have seen Chaz Davies riding right at the edge of grip all the time. That bike just seems hard on the tires, and I'm sure Triumph is trying to figure it out.

Lastly, it's a lot easier for a factory to prepare a bike to win in AMA Superbike because it's less costly, and the bikes are nowhere near the level of the WSBK bikes. Factory Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW (who was on the verge of signing with Jordan for the 10 season) stopped making an effort in AMA based partly on differences they had with DMG and they also cited economic issues. Now there's one Kawi and some private BMW entries. I honestly think the quality of racing in AMA last year and this year is getting better and I hope Honda comes back.

Blk/Grn 2009 600RR
Arrow Indy slip on/mid pipe, Puig screen, Watsen flushmounts, CRG clutch lever, Sato Racing hooks, solo cowl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page