Stoner and Lorenzo refuse to go to Japan - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stoner and Lorenzo refuse to go to Japan

Stoner and Lorenzo have said (on 17 July, but I just saw the story today), that they will not participate in the rescheduled Motegi race. They say that this will not help Japan and don't want to participate. The track is about 120km/75 miles from Fukushima.

Have to say I agree with them. There are much more important issues for people in that area to focus their energy on and I highly doubt anyone who has been seriously affected will be able to take in a race. Any economic benefit or profits could just as easily be sent to help the people by using another track somewhere else.

Here's a link to a story on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motogp/14176692.stm

Meanwhile, Dorna and MotoGP say there are no problems based on a recent report:

http://www.***********/en/news/2011/...t+from+the+FIM

Just type in motogp . com without the spaces to go to the article from their site. I don't know why stars come up here.

Last edited by Maaku; 08-07-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
They would be the whiny bitches to say that.

Not a matter of "donating" to make up for it. The economic stimulus would be huge. Hotels, Resturaunts, would all get an Im sure much needed boost.

Then there is the human side of it. A sense of perseverance and normalcy. That things will get better.

No matter what Stoner and Lorenzo say they are doing it cause they are misinformed about the "risk" of radiation exposure. Im sure I could go tanning on my roof for 4 hours and be exposed to more radiation than they will get all race weekend.

Would just be awesome though if they are both putting up a front and then one of them actually ends up showing for the race lol. How that would **** over the championship!

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They should just donate there winnings

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
treating japan like a disease isn't going to help. this event would bring revenue, give the people something special to participate in, and would bring the racers to the country and allow them to be a positive presence. the race is whatever they decide to make of it, and if they feel that their absence is more beneficial than their presence than that speaks for itself

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadRRupleRRGirl For This Useful Post:
Renato (08-09-2011)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
They would be the whiny bitches to say that.

Not a matter of "donating" to make up for it. The economic stimulus would be huge. Hotels, Resturaunts, would all get an Im sure much needed boost.

Then there is the human side of it. A sense of perseverance and normalcy. That things will get better.

No matter what Stoner and Lorenzo say they are doing it cause they are misinformed about the "risk" of radiation exposure. Im sure I could go tanning on my roof for 4 hours and be exposed to more radiation than they will get all race weekend.

Would just be awesome though if they are both putting up a front and then one of them actually ends up showing for the race lol. How that would **** over the championship!

Exactly. Think of what this will do for Japanese tourism as a whole. If the place really is safe (and the reports apparently show this), then the MotoGP race is broadcast across the globe. That will present safety and normality to a huge audience and will set people's minds at ease with regards to taking a trip to Japan.

To give you an idea of just how well the Japanese have bounced back from the terrible natural disaster, here's a little comparitive example: In the UK, we get snow almost every year. This year, it was particularly bad, but we knew it was coming. Many of my local roads were impassable for weeks because of poor preparation and then an even more half hearted recovery effort. I was unable to use my car for approximately 1 month. in Japan, they had a full on earthquake and tsunami to deal with. Some of their roads were torn to pieces but the roads authorities had them repaired, back up and running within a matter of days.

I intend to go to Japan at some point within the next 2 years to take in either F1 or MotoGP and have a short holiday. I'm not delaying that because of the nuclear issues; I just can't afford it at the moment.

Don't you find it rather hypocritical that Stoner and Lorenzo both carry slogans of support for Japan, on their Japanese bikes, but are unwilling to visit the country?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,722 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This news is OLD...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
This news is OLD...
Stoner made his comments on 17 July, which is a bit old, but the official report was released on 2 August, which is clearly not that old. What will be interesting to see is if they change their minds.

Anyway, who said anything about donating? The race could be moved to Suzuka, which is much further away, and kept in Japan. Filling up roads with traffic for a few days near Motegi isn't going to help repair damage and diverting local resources won't rebuild houses or industry.

But yeah, the radiation argument would be a little weak at this point according to reports. I think they should do it, but move it to Suzuka to keep it in Japan. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to hold the even so close to where the accident happened. It's probably worth noting that the Japanese government itself banned beef from Iwate, which is far away from Fukushima, just last week. It also does not have a good record of reporting nuclear problems honestly.

Last edited by Maaku; 08-07-2011 at 12:11 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaku View Post
Stoner made his comments on 17 July, which is a bit old, but the official report was released on 2 August, which is clearly not that old. What will be interesting to see is if they change their minds.

Anyway, who said anything about donating? The race could be moved to Suzuka, which is much further away, and kept in Japan. Filling up roads with traffic for a few days near Motegi isn't going to help repair damage and diverting local resources won't rebuild houses or industry.

But yeah, the radiation argument would be a little weak at this point according to reports. I think they should do it, but move it to Suzuka to keep it in Japan. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to hold the even so close to where the accident happened. It's probably worth noting that the Japanese government itself banned beef from Iwate, which is far away from Fukushima, just last week. It also does not have a good record of reporting nuclear problems honestly.
Still sort of new to the history of GP...but didn't they stop racing at Suzuka due to safety concerns?

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Still sort of new to the history of GP...but didn't they stop racing at Suzuka due to safety concerns?
Yeah, after Kato died in 2003, I think. I don't think it had the best safety record.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
World Superbike Racer

1 or both of them will be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Knee Dragger

I say hold it there if casey or whoregay don't want to show that's on them.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer

For the sake of offering a counter argument

1. Just a calrification Jorge and Casey don't want to race 75km from the nuclear reactor. They have stated that they would be willing to race elsewhere in Japan.

2. VR and Dani have both publicly stated they dont want to go either. Dani has said he will not race there either. The difference is Casey and Jorge have been the most vocal.

3. The entire motoGp grid minus Ayoma signed a petition stating they don't want to go there. The only difference is that Casey and Lorenzo are not going to lose their job due to there talent, where any one outside of alien status would lose theirs. So they can speak out on behalf of the entire grid.

4. The day Dorna released their report this came out link

5. "Their objections are based not so much on the radiation at the Motegi circuit, but more on the situation at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The Fukushima prefecture continues to be rocked by aftershocks, some as high as magnitude 6.4, and there is a broad concern inside the paddock that the situation at the plant is not under control, and that a large earthquake during the MotoGP weekend could cause the plant to suffer further damage and lead to a large-scale release of radiation." link

6. The fact of the matter is that Dorna want to go there so badly due to contractual obligations not due to raising Japanese moral. There are still 5000 people that are unaccounted for in the earth quake stricken part of Japan. A MotoGP race is not going to make their families "feel" any better.

7. As for the economic influence of a MotoGP race in Japan, in the immediate area it will be a surplus but as for the country it will not even make a dent. for reference please check the stock index of Toyota, Sony, Honda or any large Japanese company prior to the earth quake until now. The dip and upswing you will see in stock values have nothing to do with MotoGP.

This is just a counter argument, I know people tend to get heated on here when counter points are put out there. So don't take any of the above personal.

Last edited by BehindTheGreenDoor; 08-08-2011 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BehindTheGreenDoor For This Useful Post:
gee (08-09-2011), Maaku (08-08-2011), makct04 (08-09-2011), sincalirider (08-08-2011)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I was ignorant on the matter, good post Behind.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Knee Dragger

They be goin to fast to cop any radiation!

2005CBR600RR

Barracuda Ego Race Mirrors.
JPR Shorty Levers.
Jardine RT-1 S/S Dual Outlet S/O.
Comp Werkes F/E.
Comp Werkes flushmounts front and rear.
TST integrated taillight.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
All the titanium on the bikes will block the radiation, and they should just be given extra rations of red wine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Y'all can blow all the hot air you want about the economic value (or lack thereof) of a race in Motegi, but the radiation concerns are, at best, misplaced.

The riders get MRIs and x-rays like it's no big deal and now they are concerned about nuclear radiation? Puh-leeze. They need to shut up and race or start reading more books.

this from motomatters:

For comparison, current levels of radiation at Mito - the town where most of the riders and teams stay during - is 86 nanosieverts or 0.086 microsieverts (ÁSv) an hour (measured at 1am local time on July 20th, 2011). Over the course of a six-day stay in the region (though teams will often stay for just five days), a person would receive just under 12.4 ÁSv of radiation, about 60% of the dose of a single chest x-ray. By comparison, radiation levels in Chemnitz, where the teams generally stay during the German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring, were about 100 nanosieverts, or 0.1 ÁSv an hour. Staying in Chemnitz for 6 days exposed the teams to 14.4 ÁSv of radiation.

Naturally, the background radiation levels are just one part of the overal risk assessment of going to Motegi for the Japanese MotoGP round. There are other threats: another earthquake in the highly geologically active region and along the now highly active fault could cause further serious damage to damaged Fukushima nuclear plant; the efforts to stabilize the situation at the plant could fail dramatically, release large quantities of radiation into the atmosphere; or another earthquake could cause structural damage in the buildings the teams are staying, potentially endangering those in the building at the time. However, what the above the chart shows is that the background levels alone are not cause for concern.

For a full report on the risk of developing cancer from radiation, see this report by the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer. And for a comparison, see the report on the cancer risks of smoking from the same body.

2009 CBR1000RR
2007 CBR600RR
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

You make a very valid point RAMTARD, but everyone has a choice on what level of 'perceived' risk is acceptable for themselves. Case in point everyone has the option to bypass the scanner at the airport and submit to a physical pat down, even though relatively speaking the radiation received from a flight longer then 2 hours submits you to more radiation. That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?

On a more quantitative note the radiation left in food affected by radiation is not insignificant. This is particularly true in food grown in the affected area (vegetables, fruit etc) which absorb larger amounts of radiation through osmosis then the average mammal in the same area. No one will fall and die from eating it but the long term affects are not negligible or something to take lightly. Case in point although Chernobyl is relatively safe to walk around in and even spend the night the plant life there is highly radioactive after all these years.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTheGreenDoor View Post
You make a very valid point RAMTARD, but everyone has a choice on what level of 'perceived' risk is acceptable for themselves. Case in point everyone has the option to bypass the scanner at the airport and submit to a physical pat down, even though relatively speaking the radiation received from a flight longer then 2 hours submits you to more radiation. That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?
Because they're contracted riders and they should get on the bike and do their job?

Going around the airport scanner is not comparable to sitting out a race over paranoia.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
This news is OLD...
youre old!!

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?
I'm not saying they can't make a personal choice, I'm suggesting that their personal choice is based on ignorance and misinformation. I think that's a pretty poor way to make your decisions.

Their employers are likely very peeved. If I where HRC or Yamaha I would be getting ready to kick Lorenzo and Stoner right in the balls. The riders are important but so are the guys that sign the checks.

2009 CBR1000RR
2007 CBR600RR
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
all i hear when i hear lorenzo is refferences to babies and whatnot, that seems to be a reocurring theme

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

First off I want to say its refreshing to have an intelligent conversation about differing points of views without the usual internet trolling. I hope you guys are perceiving this discussion the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
Because they're contracted riders and they should get on the bike and do their job?

Going around the airport scanner is not comparable to sitting out a race over paranoia.
I agree up to a point, but the difference is that the risk their employer is asking them to accept is not a risk usually associated with their job. I personally don't think (or more hope) anyone will have long term affects from going there. I also think in the end all the riders will have to cave in and go, but the right to object to something outside of the usually job description/dangers is a right they have.

No matter how small we have to concede two things:
1. There is a tangible danger from the currently unstable reactor 75km away that is still experiencing after shocks of 6.5 and had a leak less then three weeks ago.
2. The 'possible' dangers are outside of the scope of their normal employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTARD View Post
I'm not saying they can't make a personal choice, I'm suggesting that their personal choice is based on ignorance and misinformation. I think that's a pretty poor way to make your decisions.

Their employers are likely very peeved. If I where HRC or Yamaha I would be getting ready to kick Lorenzo and Stoner right in the balls. The riders are important but so are the guys that sign the checks.
+1 I don't think their opinions are entirely valid and based on more then 'perceptions'. I also think Honda and Yam might be upset. Will they lose their seats highly unlikely, but anything is possible.

Just a question but IF (very small if) something did happen to a few riders in 10-15yrs and could be traced to a common radiation exposure incident that they experienced who would be the one apologizing? Dorna? Motegi? The fans? Honda? Yam? The hotels that got the boost from the race? And what would they say "Sorry we didn't think you would be affected, but it was a good race? Get better"
The Following User Says Thank You to BehindTheGreenDoor For This Useful Post:
Maaku (08-15-2011)
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I agree up to a point, but the difference is that the risk their employer is asking them to accept is not a risk usually associated with their job. I personally don't think (or more hope) anyone will have long term affects from going there. I also think in the end all the riders will have to cave in and go, but the right to object to something outside of the usually job description/dangers is a right they have.

No matter how small we have to concede two things:
1. There is a tangible danger from the currently unstable reactor 75km away that is still experiencing after shocks of 6.5 and had a leak less then three weeks ago.
2. The 'possible' dangers are outside of the scope of their normal employment.
If they wanted to find something wrong about every nation they visit outside the scope of their normal employment, I'm sure they could and we could talk about their rights to not go somewhere every round of the championship. Especially when we're talking about the type of paranoia and poorly informed decision they're talking about. Living life is a risk. Maybe they should stay home and not race motorcycles? They could get hurt.

There is not enough reason for them to not ride. Their ifs, buts, and maybes aren't cutting it. Basically only Lorenzo, Stoner, and Rossi have the luxury to truly attempt this because of who they are to the sport. If they weren't, they wouldn't be leading the charge on this and Rossi took himself out of this spotlight probably because he sees what's really going on.

This is all trivial to me really because they will be there unless they want their loss of the 2011 championship to be remembered as the cause of sitting out a race. The points race will be too close for either of them to risk sitting out, IMO. All Casey or Lorenzo would have to do is say yes I am definitely surely not going, show up on saturday for qualifying, and collect points on Sunday while the other sits at home losing 25 points. But we'll see. They need the points and they will want them and go race.

Quote:
Just a question but IF (very small if) something did happen to a few riders in 10-15yrs and could be traced to a common radiation exposure incident that they experienced who would be the one apologizing? Dorna? Motegi? The fans? Honda? Yam? The hotels that got the boost from the race? And what would they say "Sorry we didn't think you would be affected, but it was a good race? Get better"
Maybe, if, but...

What if one of their bikes catches fire (ala Edwards/Aprilia) and they end up in a wall at 150+ suffering a permanent life changing injury?

Quote:
First off I want to say its refreshing to have an intelligent conversation about differing points of views without the usual internet trolling. I hope you guys are perceiving this discussion the same way.
In regard to motoGP, there are much better things we could be discussing than this...

Last edited by Kurosaki; 08-10-2011 at 12:35 AM.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
What if one of their bikes catches fire (ala Edwards/Aprilia) and they end up in a wall at 150+ suffering a permanent life changing injury?
Ah, the Texas Barbecue! Listening to him talk about riding the Aprilla when I got to chill with him in Jerez was ...interesting to say the least. Awesome dude though. Loves to bullshit about gun, cars, and blowing **** up. Like a true texan!
(1:02)

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
1 or both of them will be there.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/110820...ng-motegi.html

About time...

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I don't agree with a lot of what Colin Edwards says but at least he says something. And he's harder than a coffin nail.

Glad that the factory riders will be at the race. It's within their rights not to, of course, but I would hope that they would take all the information into account and then decide. It seemed like reliable information was in short supply but eventually they had a sit-down. It's entirely likely that the sponsors came up with some extra financial incentive, too, which is reasonable. Money talks.

Quote:
Ah, the Texas Barbecue! Listening to him talk about riding the Aprilla when I got to chill with him in Jerez was ...interesting to say the least. Awesome dude though. Loves to bullshit about gun, cars, and blowing **** up. Like a true texan!
(1:02)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPRUtM6onXo

2009 CBR1000RR
2007 CBR600RR
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Sure, it's great when we can share different points of view, see some value in them, still maybe disagree to a point but at least take something on board. Too many discussions turn into an exchange of personal insults and rants.

Looks like Stoner has read some of the other points of view here and is changing his mind so that's that.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
World Superbike Racer

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226116434951

Here we go again. If I were him id be more concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i really don't care who goes and doesn't go just as long as whore-gay doesn't get any points

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226116434951

Here we go again. If I were him id be more concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning.
Guess somebody else will step up for the 5th or 6th place finish... I think Rossi's not going because he knows he has no hope this season. Maybe he can stay in Italy and do some more commercials so that all of us here can pay more money for our Internet connections and Oakleys. (to Valentino, not .bOlink)

Seriously though, they should've been thinking about upgrading Suzuka when Fukushima happened. Just today a ban on beef shipments from Fukushima was upheld, though they say it'll be lifted soon. Still, government bans don't necessarily mean things are dangerous; nor does lifting the ban mean things are safe. During the bird flu epidemic they ordered chickens within a 10km radius to be slaughtered - not sure how they pinpointed that one or how they stopped other birds from entering the area, but what the hell, 10km is a pretty easy number for the public to understand I guess. Can you imagine a 6.21371mile ban in the US?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110819x2.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page