Red Bull Indianapolis GP MotoGP race staying at IMS through 2014 - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red Bull Indianapolis GP MotoGP race staying at IMS through 2014

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...-through-2014/
Quote:
The Red Bull Indianapolis GP MotoGP race will continue at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from 2012-14 through an agreement reached between officials from IMS and Dorna Sports, the commercial rights holder for MotoGP.
The fifth annual Red Bull Indianapolis GP – featuring the high-tech, 200-mph motorcycles and the world’s best riders of the MotoGP World Championship – is scheduled for Aug. 17-19, 2012, a week earlier than this year.

Tickets for the 2012 event can be purchased now by visiting www.imstix.com, calling the IMS ticket office at (317) 492-6700 or (800) 822-INDY outside the Indianapolis area or visiting the ticket office at the IMS Administration Building at the corner of Georgetown Road and 16th Street. Ticket office and phone hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (ET) Monday-Friday.

Existing customers can renew tickets at www.imstix.com through Monday, Sept. 19.

“We’re happy to welcome back the exciting action and colorful, daring riders of MotoGP to IMS,” said Jeff Belskus, IMS president and chief executive officer. “This event brings a unique international flavor and style of racing to the Speedway that has become a solid, new tradition on our annual schedule. We’re excited about the event’s potential for continued growth into the future.”

MotoGP fans will see new machinery in the premier class in 2012. Riders will compete on 1000cc prototype motorcycles, with more speed and power than the 800cc machines used since 2007.

There also will be at least three Americans on the MotoGP starting grid for the fifth consecutive year at IMS: 2006 World Champion Nicky Hayden, 2010 Rookie of the Year Ben Spies and Colin Edwards. Hayden and Spies each are two-time podium finishers in the Red Bull Indianapolis GP, and Spies won the pole for the 2010 race.

“It’s great news to hear that Indianapolis is going to stay on the calendar for another three years,” Spies said. “As every rider knows, there’s nothing more special than coming to a home race and putting it all on the line in front of your fans.

“I’ve had pretty exciting races there so far in GP, and there’s so much history at the Brickyard, it’s a pleasure to be a part of it. I hope it continues to be a platform to bring MotoGP to a bigger American audience.”

World Championship support classes Moto2 and the new Moto3 will return to IMS in 2012. Other support classes will be announced in the future.
great news for me, since this one is the closest for me(11hr drive), plus excited to see its moved back a week since i already have my 25th weekend and 2nd weekend booked. Looking forward to seeing moto3 and the 1000cc bikes in person next year :D

http://www.teamelusive.com
http://www.elusivemedia.com
---
sigs should not exceed 500x150
05' CBR600RR Silver - Current - 10,001MI
04' Ninja 250R - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Another 3 years!

Just released today...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=45919

INDY GP signed through 2014. Laguna, Indy, and Austin GP's in 2014. Hoping to get to at least two of them that year.

To be honest, I figured Indy was done. With the consecutive falling attendance levels each year, the miserable track surface this year, and with Austin coming to the schedule in a few years, I figured this was the last year. Hopefully, they will be conducting nothing but weekly track days from now until next year to get some rubber down and avoid the tire issues they had this year.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding

Last edited by cbr6racr; 09-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

10character

Last edited by bahkhok; 09-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am glad Indy has been re-signed. It's a great technical track and looks like fun. It will take time to rubber in the track and the crowds will pick up as the competition gets better. Lets be honest, the last 2 years have not been spectacular to watch on TV, but with 3 rounds in the US, hopefully closer to eachother, more riders and more bikes it can only get better.

Remember also that Moto2 and the 125cc's (Moto3 next year) don't run at Laguna, which sux ass, so Indy has a leg up for next year. Let's hope they promote the sh!t out of it... All going well, I will be there next year.

2006 600RR for the track. 2011 Merida OneTwenty for the dirt!

And for those on Google+ gplus.to/Darke99
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I'm hoping the return of the 1000's will help things out.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am actually super excited and I am re-booking my same tickets.

I know the riders don't love the track (especially Stoner and his rude comments in the local Indy newspaper) but Indy is an amazing track to watch as a spectator. Anyone that has been to Laguna or a lot of other venues in Europe say Indy kicks ass for seating. Also they have the traffic out of there in no time. They have the experience to handle the small GP crowd compared to the car crowds.

We all just need to promote motorcyle racing in North America, I still don't get why it is not popular? I met a lot of car racing fans coming for their first time at the race this year which is a good sign.

VR46 by my whore Sinny! Love you.

http://www.facebook.com/VR46LVR
RIP PHATSTUD...GODSPEED
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm also surprised that they resigned until 2014. Once they signed up with the circuit of the americas in TX I thought Indy was done. Glad it isnt though. Got some family and friends in Indy so I'll use any excuse I can to visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page