The Marc of Greatness: Marquez becomes youngest MotoGP™ King - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
The Marc of Greatness: Marquez becomes youngest MotoGP™ King

Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda RC213V) won the 2013 MotoGP World Championship in superb style at Valencia on Sunday when he finished the season finale in third place. The result secured him a historic crown – he is now the youngest premier-class king in history – by four points from Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) at the end of a thrilling and fascinating championship campaign.

Marquez’s brilliance gives Honda its 16th riders’ title, three decades after its first premier-class crown won by Freddie Spencer in 1983.

The 20-year-old’s MotoGP title success is the crowning achievement of what is already a stellar career. After winning the 2010 125 World Championship and the 2012 Moto2 world title, the super-talented youngster graduated to MotoGP at the start of this year, looking to serve his apprenticeship in the world’s fastest, toughest motorcycle racing series.

However, Marquez never for a moment looked like a rookie. The Spanish prodigy scored a podium finish first time out at Qatar in April, then two weeks later dominated the Grand Prix of the Americas in Texas, where he became the youngest-ever rider to start a premier-class race from pole position and the youngest to take victory in a category that’s now dominated by awesome 250 horsepower motorcycles that reach 345km/h (215mph).

Marquez took both those records from another Honda hero, American genius Spencer, who had held the youngest pole record since the 1982 Spanish Grand Prix at Jarama, Spain, and the youngest winner record since the Belgium GP at Spa a few months later.

Spencer, undoubtedly one of the greatest bike racers of all time, is in awe of the young Spaniard, just like everyone else. “It’s exciting to see young riders come along and make an impact!” says the man who won three World Championships in the 1980s and was the youngest premier-class champ until Sunday. “I like the excitement he brings with his riding style and personality.”

Humble and highly intelligent, Marquez kept his feet firmly on the ground despite making history. “You can beat a record,” he said in Texas. “But in future, maybe another rider will win a race when they are younger than me.”

Spencer is right about Marquez’s riding style, which has taken MotoGP to a whole new level. His two years in the Moto2 class taught him how to get the absolute maximum out of a motorcycle and how to maintain the machine on the every brink of control. Now he has his RC213V dancing around beneath him, rear wheel sometimes in the air as he tips into corners, then burning dark arcs of rubber on the tarmac as he opens the throttle. But he isn’t merely stunningly fast and extremely brave; he also has the mind of a master tactician.

His career statistics speak for themselves. He has ridden 18 MotoGP races, taking podiums in 16, including six wins, plus nine pole positions and 11 fastest laps. In Moto2 he won 16 races from 32 starts – an amazing 50 per cent success rate – plus a further nine podiums and 14 pole positions. When he was a Grand Prix beginner in the 125 category he took ten wins and 14 poles from 42 starts.

There is no doubt that Marquez’s 2013 Repsol Honda RC213V perfectly suits his aggressive riding style, allowing him to attack corner apexes with a speed and commitment that few others can match. The youngster quickly developed a superb relationship with Honda Racing Corporation staff, who now know exactly what he needs to produce lightning-quick speed and race-winning consistency.

His 1000cc Honda R213CV is the latest development of Honda’s MotoGP machines that have scored an amazing run of successes since the class switched to four-strokes in 2002. The 990cc RC211V won the 2002, 2003 and 2006 World Championships, the 800cc RC212V won the 2011 title and the RC213V has now secured the 2013 crown. All these machines have the Honda hallmarks of superbly
rider-friendly performance and remarkable reliability. They are also rolling laboratories for the development of high-tech electronic performance and safety systems, the major R&D area in modern-day motorcycle racing.

Following Marquez’s maiden MotoGP victory in Texas, his season continued with further astonishing results. He battled for the lead and finished on the podium in four of the next five races, suffering his first DNF at June’s Italian Grand Prix where he crashed out while holding second place.

The mark of true greatness in any sport is how a player responds to hard times and Marquez proved his genius by immediately stepping up his performances. He finished second at the next race at Assen, despite injuries from a practice crash, and then achieved a unique run of four consecutive victories at the Sachsenring, Laguna Seca, Indianapolis and Brno, while his main rivals – team-mate Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda RC213V) and reigning World Champion Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) suffered injury woes. No rookie had ever won four in a row before, and his fifth win of the year at Brno broke another record. Previously, the greatest number of rookie victories had been achieved by Kenny Roberts, who won four races on his way to becoming the first rookie to win the title in 1978.

Marquez, by now well ahead in the title chase, won again at Aragon and then finished second at the British, San Marino and Malaysian GPs. In Australia he scored no points after being black-flagged for missing the pit-stop ‘window’
in a controversial two-part race, devised to solve problems with tyre longevity. At Motegi he finished a safe second behind Lorenzo, which took him to Valencia with a comfortable 13-point advantage.

By securing the title at the age of 20 years and 266 days – Marquez comfortably beat’s Spencer’s record. The American was 21 years and 258 days when he won the 500 world title at Imola, Italy, on 4 September 1983.

Marquez has been on the road to greatness for many years. From a normal working-class family – his father Julian drove diggers on construction sites and his mother Roser works for a logistics company in their hometown – he got his first minibike when he was four, started racing when he was five and won his first title when he was eight. His younger brother Alex also started competing and now races in the Moto3 World Championship.

The older Marquez tried roadracing soon after he started off-road competition and his talent was quickly spotted by 1999 125 World Champion Emilio Alzamora, who has been his mentor ever since, guiding the youngster with an expert hand through national racing and thence into 125s, Moto2 and MotoGP.

After twice winning the 125 Catalan crown, Marquez made his World Championship debut in Portugal in April 2008. Two months later he achieved his first Grand Prix podium, with a third-place finish in the British Grand Prix at Donington Park. His debut victory in the class came in Italy in June 2010. He won a further nine races that year to take his first world title.

Marquez might have won the Moto2 world title at his first attempt in 2011 but for an injury he sustained when he crashed due to a marshalling error at the Malaysian GP. Nonetheless he fought back to dominate the Honda-powered series the following summer, during which he signed with HRC to graduate to MotoGP with Repsol Honda.

At just 20-years-old Marquez had the world at his feet and with Honda behind him he undoubtedly has the potential to become the greatest rider in the history of motorcycle Grand Prix racing.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 11-13-2013 at 08:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (11-13-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Congrats to Marc Marquez. At the end of the race u can tell Lorenzo didn't want to shake his hand, haha. Lorenzo was definitely a better rider the 2nd part of the season, but Marc rode better the 1st part of the season. Both guys are beasts...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Last race was the best MotoGP racing I've seen in a long while....well the first half of the race that is.
Those guys were really dicing it up !!

63 and still having FUN !!
#737 BK Racing - CMRA
Sponsors- Dallas Honda, Impact Safety Armor

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

If you have not watched MOTO 3 make sure you do was brilliant race to the end

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hope to find it recorded when I get home from from work tonight around 10:30PM

63 and still having FUN !!
#737 BK Racing - CMRA
Sponsors- Dallas Honda, Impact Safety Armor

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

MOTOGP » Marc Marquez (MotoGP champion) - Q&A 12 November 2013

“Jorge all the year complained about me, complained that I might [injure another] rider. And here [at Valencia] he had some movements even stronger”- Marc Marquez.

An edited version of a media teleconference with newly crowned rookie MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez organised by Indianapolis Motor Speedway...

Moderator:
I know there was a lot of anticipation about your arrival this year in MotoGP, and you have the championship pedigree. You've won the title in 2010. You won the title in 2012. But, in hindsight, when you first got on the bike for the first race at Qatar, was winning the world championship your ultimate goal for this season? Is this what you planned or was this a surprise?

Marc Marquez:
No, of course I didn't expect that. No, the plan, yeah, my goal was to try to win not only in Qatar, but also always I have the mentality to try to fight for some podiums, for some victories. But I didn't expect to be constant there in the top and fight for the championship and get it in the end. It was a great surprise.

But from the beginning, I set records with the bike, and that was the most important.

Q:
We all know that RC213V is a great bike. Is there anything that you can think of that would make it better? Is there anything that you still want besides more power, which is obvious?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, sure, sure. We can improve many, many things, especially mid-corner then also edge grip in the mid-corner, too, we can improve. Exiting the corner also is traction we can improve, the stability too a little bit. But, yeah, the package was quite good, and I feel good on the bike.

Q:
You filled a pretty big vacancy (Casey Stoner) with the RC213V. You already answered your initial goals of joining the team about what you were looking forward to in the 2013 MotoGP. When did you realise you actually had a shot at this title?

Marc Marquez:
When did I realise?

Q:
Yeah, when did you realise you could actually obtain the title?

Marc Marquez:
Maybe I start to realise a little bit after Brno. Also then Silverstone, I had the injury, but I started to realise in that race because Dani was a hundred percent and I was able to fight with them and to win that race.

Q:
Who do you see as your biggest threat in 2014, and also what riders do you see coming up through the ranks like your brother Alex in Moto3? Who do you think will have a big opportunity in the future?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, 2014 will be changed a little bit because they're going to change the rules and that will be important to adapt the bike to those rules. But, anyway, I think Jorge will be strong. Dani will be strong. We will see also Espargaro, I think he can do a good job. We'll see if he can stay there every race.

Part 2
But, yeah, it's coming… The young talents and from Moto3 especially, and yeah, I think my brother next year. Maybe he will have the first chance to fight for a championship. But, of course, he needs more experience, but anyway, he's doing a very good job.

Q:
Marc, tell me what your thoughts were during the race watching with Jorge and Dani battle at the front especially after Jorge's comments this season about your aggressive riding?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, you know. I say already in the past, we are here for racing, we are here to fight always inside the limits. But, yes, Jorge all the year complained about me, complained that I might [injure another] rider. And here he had some movements a little bit [the same] or even stronger than I might want.

But anyway, for me, I was agreeing because I think we are here for racing, and he was fighting for a title, and then he tried to [slow] the race, and for that reason he did that movement.

Q:
I know race direction had a conversation with Jorge after the race. Do you think it would be better or worse for MotoGP to continue with hard battles like that?

Marc Marquez:
I think for the show they need to be a little bit open-minded and here in Valencia was a special situation for Jorge because he was fighting for a championship. He [slowed] the race, but he did it with a special situation. So they need to really be open. But, anyway, always he tried some limits. But that I think for me was OK.

Q:
You know, your trademark this year was being very aggressive and always pushing to the limit, even in practices you had crashes. Finally, maybe in the last race you were a little more cautious than previous. But do you think you will race that way next year? Will you continue to be aggressive even in practice, or do you think you learned something from this year and maybe will try to be more cautious at times?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, sure, I will have more experience in the category, and I will try to have less pressure, too. But it's like what I say, if I want to find the limit, I need to find it in practice because then in the race try to know where is the limit. But, anyway, yeah, I will try to improve. In the past, I've tried to be a little bit not as smoother because in the end, it's my style. But a little more constant on the lines and with the experience of this year trying to use it and trying to have less pressure.

Q:
As a follow-up, many people were surprised when you were penalised for colliding with Pedrosa at Aragon. Do you personally think that racing officials are involving themselves too much in what's going on on the track? Does it take away from the racing?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, for sure, I'm most disappointed about that action because it was so unlucky for [Dani]. But I think it was a race incident. But, anyway, of course I completely disagree with that point of penalty because it was not meant. But anyway, we are here, we have the Race Direction, and we must respect the decision of them.

Part 3

I don't think your competitors expected you to be quite as competitive and as fast as you were in 2013. For next season, have you lost the element of surprise? Do they know what's coming for next year now? Can you expect to see more challenges on the track from your competitors than you saw especially at the beginning of this year?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, sure. I think nobody, nobody expect that, and I didn't expect that to be competitive from the beginning. But anyway, everybody was looking - will be looking at you and looking at me, sorry! The pressure will be higher. So will be more difficult.

But, yeah, anyway, this year was a great surprise to be there from the beginning. I think it was a surprise for everybody.

Q:
I think you touched on this a little bit. I'd like you to expand on it a little more though. The part of the 2013 seems to be mid-corner, edge grip, is that what you said? That is the area you want to work on the most for 2014?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I already tried the other [2014] bike today [in testing], and we improved a little bit on that point. But then I have some negative points, too. But anyway, mid-corner, edge grip will improve a little bit. But you know, today we practice with the bike, and tomorrow we'll try to concentrate to find a good setup, and we'll see really how is the potential of this bike.

But, yeah, today was pretty good. We got a lot of information, and that will be important for the winter time because then that can work on a new I don't know. New chassis, new (indiscernible) or something new.

Q:
You've been amazingly calm all year despite intense pressure. I don't know if your father emphasised the importance of calmness to you growing up, but do you have any specific mental techniques that you use to clear your mind before you race, visualisation, meditation, anything like that?

Marc Marquez:
No, no, no. Always my mentality before the race or to go on the bike I like to be here in the motorhome and I sit alone. If I speak with somebody, I speak with Emilio or someone, my manager. But I like to be here alone and quiet.

Q:
In what ways did your recovery when you were out with your eye injury [in Moto2], in what way can you talk about how that increased your mental strength a bit? Can you expand a bit more in what ways that helped you?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, well the most difficult part of my career, the most difficult month because you know it was an injury and the doctor say that we don't know if you will ride again the bike. Then when I see recovery, I say we enjoyed that because you never know what's happening, what will happen in there in the future.

So that changed a little bit my mentality. But I enjoyed every moment and enjoyed the races and enjoyed what we are doing.

Moderator:
You're 20 years old. You're the world champion. How do you expect your life to change and how are you trying to stay grounded? I mean, you're the best rider in the world in your first year in the category. You're 20 years old; you're a superstar. How do you stay the same? How do you not let it go to your head?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, you know, that, of course is difficult, but you know, I try to be the same guy, the same Marc. I have all my people, my family, my team. I already said to them, if I change a little bit, if I start changing a little bit they can sit with me and say, 'Hey, Marc, you are not in the correct way.' And that is good that the people around you also have that confidence to say to you that you need to be with the feet on the ground.

Last edited by Moeman; 11-13-2013 at 08:33 AM.
CBR Time (11-13-2013)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

part 4
I've got a question here, and it might be a little touchy. But what really happened at Phillip Island? Did you miscount laps, was the pit board wrong or did the team think they could run 11 laps without penalty?

Marc Marquez:
That was a big confusion. It was a mistake, human mistake. Yeah, it was a big mistake. But anyway, the team did a big confusion with the laps and they thought that it was possible to go in on that lap. But when they tried to - well, when they showed me to come in, yes, it was - only what I can say was that was a big mistake from the team. But will be a great experience for the future.

Q:
I'm sure that probably worried you a little bit even though your points lead was good. If you had not won the championship this year and finished second or third, would you still look upon 2013 as a success?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, of course, of course. I already said here in Valencia on Thursday, I said that for me that was much better than what I expect. To win the race, if we win the title, if we finish second, anyway it would be a great season because a rookie season always is difficult. To finish second also was a great result.

Q:
Marc, do you think your career coming up through the ranks with Monlau. How different was it to jump into the HRC team and have different technicians, different support groups? How hard was it for you to adapt to working with them or were you able to simply say holy crap, these people won the championship year after year, I better listen to what they have to say?

Marc Marquez:
Yeah, you know, it's different when you take that step because you tend to change everything. You change the bike, and you come to a new team. In the beginning, you feel a lot of responsibility because it's many people inside all what you say.

They will ride and you need to be careful what you say because if you say to them the wrong information, then they'll be a little bit crazy to try to prove a podium, and that was not true.

Yeah, it's difficult, but when you have the experience, it's much better because it's a factory. You are in the factory, and if you have something on the bike they can - they will try to do the best.

Q:
For 2014 with the bike having a little less fuel, do you anticipate having to change your riding or what you do any differently?

Marc Marquez:We will see first. We have to try to be more consistent on the lines try to be a little bit smoother, but especially more consistently on the lines. Then also try to improve the starts. That is two points that this year I lose a little bit.

Q:
Marc, I understand your eye injury was quite serious, a detached retina, if I'm correct? I know that's a serious injury, and many people have a difficult time recovering from that. How is your vision today? Do you still have some effects from that or do you see worse out of the eye that was injured?

Marc Marquez:
No, at the time the doctor said to me, 'Maybe we'll get an operation, but maybe the vision will not be a hundred percent. I think it will be good for a normal life, but for riding the bike or make something special it will be not perfect'.

But I was so lucky, and now it's a hundred percent better. I'm very, very, very proud of my doctor because he did a very good job, and he gave me again the opportunity to ride the bike.

Q:
Did they do laser reattachment? Did they use a bubble? How did they reattach your retina?

Marc Marquez:
What do you mean about operation?

Q:
Yeah, how did they reattach it?

Marc Marquez:
Honestly, exactly I don't know. I know that they put something inside the eye like some tendon, and then maybe I don't know exactly. But I know they put some tendons.

CBR Time (11-13-2013)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Wanted to post some of our comments from the first round haha, you and Spy hit the nail on the head ;)

MoemanMark my words folks Marquez will get on the podium more than once might even win a race or two the kid is fearless , dedicated and out to prove himself from race 1 he will care one bit about Robo face and his feelings

He does not override his ability that is where he is smart

CBR TimeMarquez also is NOT intimidated by ANYONE!

WOW What a start to the season!! CLASSIC Rossi!!, Marquez putting the hammer down and getting on the podium!! So impressed by both Rossi and Marquez.

MARQUEZ fastest nice, CANT WAIT!!! :) makes ya wonder if Lorenzo is thinking "oh great gotta watch out for this guy, another SuperSic great just great" haha

Hmmm Marquez on the podium first race? i think it's def possible but perhaps a bit unlikely. I can almost say the same for Rossi? That being said ill go out on a limb and say
Marquez
Rossi
Pedrosa

Stoked to see Marquez fastest in FP2, He's out for the win in his first race in MotoGP, the more i think about it the more i see him on the podium

Spy021Wow, what a great start to the season. Marquez is gonna be something special!

Disco
Dang, Marquez is legit. Pedrosa is shitting himself right now lol.

Oh a Pedrobot v Marquez bad blood rivalry would be a cherry on top to this season

BehindthegreendoorMM has been putting in super fast laps but his lap times/consistency is all over the place. Over the course of the 22 race laps it doesn't appear he has the pace to keep up with either Rossi or Lorenzo. Anther caveat to his times is that they were all done on fresh tires where Rossi and Lorenzo set their best times in FP1 & FP2 on old tires....just saying

RedisFasterYeah, I could see him pulliing one of his famouns block-passes but I'm sure Yamaha has talked to him about that.

Surprised that no one things Marquez is going to win. There's a poll on crash.net and a decent amount of people think that he'll win it. I think he'll take it a bit easy for the first race.

advan140only people to have beat lorenzo at qatar was stoner & rossi and stoner is gone so i give lorenzo the win. this isnt one of pedrosas strong tracks but he should get podium. marquez will crash.
lorenzo
pedro
crutchlow

im scared of marquez grid position. hopefully he doesnt get too excited and slam into someone in the first corner

jdel
Pedro is afraid of getting pushed out and those two will develop bad blood almost immediately. I can't imagine Marquez backing down from it either, especially after watching him in Moto2.

Last edited by CBR Time; 11-13-2013 at 12:47 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This guy is my age, greatest/youngest rider to win the championship, and I'm just sitting here waiting for class to start scrolling a forum....my priorities are all jacked up lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asabon94 View Post
This guy is my age, greatest/youngest rider to win the championship, and I'm just sitting here waiting for class to start scrolling a forum....my priorities are all jacked up lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
You're not the only one there my friend, definitely not the only one.

Galaxy S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
da White Knight

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 PM

haha nope, think of how may years of racing he has left in him, multiple world champion in the making.... ahh yes
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

The Kid grew up in Spain where as a kid with smart parents you practice one of two sports playing football ( not American football) or you ride pocket bikes the academy for either activity is huge business & bread future stars fir sure .

Now if you compare MM with Isco ( Real Madrid player ) for example Link there ain't that many differences except what each does to earn a living & may be how much is any of them worth in endorsements .

Real Madrid paid Malaga the club where Usco used to play €27 Million Euros last summer and there is No ifs or buts about the reasons if you are twenty one & got signed by Los Blancos where they paid € 27 M fir your services you are worth every Euro & won't be long till you become a huge star

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Wanted to post this vid I just watched here, simply amazing they start out that young, Espargaro brothers there as well lol

Last edited by CBR Time; 11-14-2013 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
fallingbomb (11-20-2013), Moeman (11-14-2013)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Spain s where it's just like in India babies love dancing Cobras ( do not mean any disrespect ) simply fearless from both sides parents & their children

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 PM

The Following User Says Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
Moeman (11-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page