Herrin hopes to raise bar for Americans - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Herrin hopes to raise bar for Americans

Yet another top talent entering MotoGP

Josh Herrin will become a new American face in the World Championship in 2014, joining the debutant Caterham Moto Racing outfit in the Moto2™ class. The Californian hopes to witness a United States resurgence over coming years

Between 1978 and 1993, over 80% of the premier class crowns on offer went the way of American riders thanks to Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey and Kevin Schwantz. Since then, only two titles have headed to the US courtesy of Kenny Roberts Jr. and Nicky Hayden, respectively. With Hayden now switching to Power Electronics Aspar and Herrin joining Caterham in Moto2™, the latter hopes for a USA rebirth in the World Championship.
"I would like to say so," Herrin said during a video interview ahead of the Valencia season-finale earlier this month. "I think Nicky is going to do a lot better next year – I hope he does. At the same time, I hope I can do well and open the tunnel again for Americans to come over here. I think it would be good because we have a lot of young talent that nobody really sees. To have guys like Joe Roberts in the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup is great for us, but hopefully I can make it even clearer that we are good and that we can keep up with the guys over here to get a few more [Americans] over in the next few years."
For his Moto2™ introduction in 2014, Herrin looks forward to partnering France’s Johann Zarco who ended this season with a strong podium finish in Valencia.
"He has been on a Suter before, which is the chassis we will be running, so it will be nice to see what his feedback is on our bike," Herrin explained. "Maybe it will be a little bit different, but we will be able to see how it works in general and - based on times - how far off we were in comparison with him this year. He’s a great guy and I’m excited to be teammates with him for next year."
Herrin, 23, will make his World Championship debut as the reigning AMA Superbike Champion. Prior to that, at the age of 19 he become the second-youngest rider to claim victory in the prestigious Daytona 200 of 2010. He now continues to evaluate options for next year in terms of base, set to relocate to Europe from the Unites States.

Last edited by CBR Time; 11-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I really hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there are faster guys here in the US more deserving of the opportunity.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
I really hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there are faster guys here in the US more deserving of the opportunity.
I don't follow the AMA so I don't know but my question is who faster? Just assuming since he won the title he was the fastest american in his class? Did he win due to injury? Also I'm guessing that they would be looking to invest in younger talent instead of older talent. Does he have peers in his age range that are faster?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Cameron will be back on the world stage soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page