IOMTT - interesting read - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IOMTT - interesting read

Well, I don't necessarily agree with the views of the author, but I still found this to be an interesting read. Enjoy

Link

Seems that the TT is not something to be taken as granted, need to give the TT priority on the bucket list & se it in motion
The Following User Says Thank You to GConn For This Useful Post:
dkid (06-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 AM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
IOMTT - interesting read

Interesting read. Not sure about the politics behind the scenes although the island running their own event would seem to be best for everyone on the face of it. If they want an event that is secure for years to come then improving safety and media appeal can only be a positive. The main thing will be keeping happy a majority of people on the island in favour of the event continuing for the long term.

One thing that I do agree with in that blog was the fact that the whole future of the TT could be thrown into question if support is lost among the majority of islanders who currently favour an annual TT, the media, and the wider public fan base due to high profile fatalities. It's always been accepted that the TT comes with a high amount of risk but too many deaths or a high profile rider losing his life would bring about fresh debate over the future of the races.

It would seem that the solution is to make the TT 'safer'. But does that risk taking away the essence of what makes the IOM so special and unique? Probably.We all love the TT and much of the appeal is the speed, the danger, the bravery of the riders. It's what sets it apart from short circuit racing IMO and I hope it can continue in its current format.

There's a difficult balance to find between staying true to the TT and what it's all about, whilst maintaining support for the event from those outside the sport. When a rider loses his life, the riders past and present (and even the families) all say "He knew the risks but he did it because he loved it". That's good enough for me.

UK '08 CBR600RR build thread: link *SOLD*
BOTM Winner 03/15

Last edited by dkid; 06-06-2014 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Yeah, I think that the main risk for the TT remains a possible fatality with the high profile riders. When Simon Andrews lost his life I got a bit nostalgic, as I really liked his character towards the sport. When D. Jefferies lost his life it was a bit of a disappointment too, as he was the world's favourite back then. The possibility of injury of spectators is a whole different animal though, as people will be more sensitive with injury of bystanders should anything happen. And considering there are places where they would actually touch the riders if they reached, it won't be such a surprise TBH.

I think that it will continue, the risk will continue to be higher than other sports, but one way or the other the overall rider's risk will be mitigated. Look at F1, Moto GP. Remember all the deaths a few decades back? Look at today's sport. Less exciting and more safe. It's not what I wish, but I can definitely see it happening

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GConn View Post
The possibility of injury of spectators is a whole different animal though, as people will be more sensitive with injury of bystanders should anything happen.
Absoloutely agree. This has the potential to be the biggest game changer

BOTM Winner 03/15

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM
BOTM Winner 03/14

Bookmark for later read thanks man.

My simple build.

RIP SpdyG_AK 22 June 2014
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Was interesting to see Scott redding criticising the TT this week. Emotions were raw as he was close to one racer that tragically lost his life, however when people in the sport begin to question the safety and sense of the event you feel the debate will be brought to the forefront.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/motogp/27701661?SThisEM

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

BOTM Winner 03/15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page